orbital

Autohotkey or any 3rd party application, usage?

I can't seem to find any definitive answer on the web so I was wondering what opinions people have in here.

I use TrackIR which uses a 3rd party application to run the head tracking. People uses advanced drivers and software for fancy keyboards and mice. Steam is running 3rd party.

But what about specialized macro programs like Autohotkey?

Guess Battleeye would be the right one to answer the question but what is your view 3rd party macro applications?

Personally, I don't see any problem with TrackIR since it still requires player input just the same as traditional methods. It's actually a really neat bit of hardware.

I use a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard that has an autorun feature (repeats same button pressed). The keyboard also allows remapping of keys and assignment of special "Macro keys" that allow for a sequence of keys to be activated by the press of one button, like many other gaming keyboards do. Programming a keyboard to run a series of key presses from one key, has little use in DayZ opposed to say an MMORPG type game. Again, here I don't see any real conflict. Even if I did program my keyboard, it's not doing anything that another player can't do by pressing the same keys in the same sequence. (i.e. I can't make a semi automatic, automatic via keyboard macros.)

As far as Battleye goes, I have heard that DirectX overlays aren't allowed. The odd thing here is that Steam and Fraps both have DirectX overlays. Maybe they keep track of an official known overlay, opposed to some homemade program. Even Rocket has brought mention to this in the past saying that he uses Fraps all the time and has never seen any issues with Battleye. In terms of TrackIR and other third party programs, it's all client side, Battleye isn't going to know one way or another how you're inputting your character movement and actions unless illegal scripts are being ran.

In the end, as long as we still have unassisted aim and no external programs or scripts actually giving us an official in game advantage over another player, I'm cool with whatever. A lot of the tweaks that third party software and hardware offer are more of a comfort and ease of use thing, more so than a definite "advantage".

• Like 1

I agree that any 3rd party application can hardly be used to exploit ARMA, might be the case for other MMO's, but in ARMA there isn't any automated functions to benefit from - I can't think of any at least.

I've written two tiny scripts which I (could) find very useful in ARMA. A autorun feature, and a modification of the 'L-key', to work as a momentarily switch instead of on/off, for the flashlight.

The subject is still a grey area, probably because of the popular MMO titles, so I'm a little wary of going into more details.

Would be nice with a official statement of some kind, but it's most likely not in developers interest to leave any 'doors open' to abuse.

If you have an MS keyboard, you have Intellitype. It has macro functionality. You find it in the start menu "microsoft keyboard"- but its the worst documented thing ever.

With the following, I manage to have it press "w" for 5 seconds. My problem is, I don't know how the key press can be stopped. I have not much time for investigation, maybe someone else can?

zwischenablage-1fny1n.png

I'd also like to have my char run automatically, and only use the mouse for giving it the direction...

EDIT, I have a perfect solution, I'll report soon...

Edited by plymouth_colony