Arkham

So..uhhh...now what?

Ok, so maybe 'quests' is not a good term, but events that happen within the game that will give people who have the essentials down something to do. As a quick example, how about a 'boss' zombie spawns in electro, drawing massive hoard of zombies towards him and rampage through wilderness? Killing him gives unique items?

dayz does not need outdoor raid bosses

it's a sandbox.. your own active imagination is all you need to come up with silly/fun/risky things to do

when you start putting in clear-cut objectives, the magic fades a little. a decent example would be minecraft vs. terraria, which are both at their core building sandboxes. minecraft imposes no real plot or endgame on the player and therefor has no endpoint other than your own ideas (which could be vast and limitless). on the other hand, terraria has set bosses and 'progression' that sets a logical endpoint, and from my own experience has left me less likely to continue sandboxing around after accomplishing these contrived tasks.

Stuffing everything into camps and such is fine and dandy but then you realize that people will find your camp - and it won't be long, no matter where it is

congrats you've reached the point in the game where there's seemingly nothing to do.

your options:

1) pvp

2)find a team, repair vehicles

3)search for rare items

4)stop playing the game

The game is what you make it. If you wanted to survive as many days as possible after finding matches, knife, axe etc you'd run into the woods and never leave, but thats not much fun, well for me anyways, some may love it.

But i have the same problem. i did look to tent as a place to build up some gear, something to work towards. but im finding it takes soo much away from the game. Surviving on what is to hand and making the best of what you've got seems way more fun to me. take away the need to loot and all risk and fun has gone.

its a tricky one, not a fan of NPC missions tho.

i prefer to create my own missions

1 - Get a car and start a taxi company. Pick players up, start the meter and drop them off.

2 - get a bus, designate bus stops, start driving around them.

3 - Become a santa, wander around spawn points and hand out supplies/weapons/meds.

He could remove tent/vehicle persistent storage. That way' date=' when people die, they have to start over, not just run to camp and pick up where they left off. The game is a lot of fun when, you know, you actually play it.

[/quote']

Right, because no playing took place in all the time it took that person to find a copy of every item they need and storing it in a safe location.

And before you counter with stuff about dupes and exploits lets remember it's Alpha. Dupes/exploits will get fixed. Removing storage, however, is an awful idea and takes out a huge part of the game.

Yeah but it doesn't really make sense apart from a safety net or when people eventually fuck up and die.

In game, why would this new guy (your respawn) know exactly where some dead dude hes never met has stashed a tent full of guns etc?

A new spawn should be a new spawn, i.e, your needs should be to search for gear, not prance along to a tent that your toon should really have no awareness of and restock to end game levels.

Characters should have a tent on spawn, that replaces one/some of the previous lifes tent. then, the tent you start with should be used as a log in/de-log point. As one wayof countering Dcing etc.

Tents, a great example of when people don't harp on about realism

He could remove tent/vehicle persistent storage. That way' date=' when people die, they have to start over, not just run to camp and pick up where they left off. The game is a lot of fun when, you know, you actually play it.

[/quote']

Right, because no playing took place in all the time it took that person to find a copy of every item they need and storing it in a safe location.

And before you counter with stuff about dupes and exploits lets remember it's Alpha. Dupes/exploits will get fixed. Removing storage, however, is an awful idea and takes out a huge part of the game.

I'm not saying storage needs to be removed, just that persistent storage that remains for multiple generations removes a large portion of the game's risk/reward atmosphere. When a clan stocks up on meds, food, ammo, and guns they are no longer working to survive. That is why they get bored and turn to PvP; half of the game is gone.

People who come on here and say that they've got 'all the gear' and now they're bored likely did not get that gear in one 'lifetime'. And if they die, they'll still have most of it. My point is that, should a person reach that point, they should burn the tent and play without one. Start over and see how long/far they can go with a single life and no support from their 'previous' self. It'll add a challenge back to the game, I promise.

raiding the airfields with a buddy is the single most intense thing I have ever done in any game.

I must say I am addicted to airfields ;P

I completely agree

@shanks' date=' disagree myself. Although I'm not keen on the idea of quests either, because this is a survival sandbox, there's needs to be more happening to stop you basically becoming comfortable at 'higher levels' (ie: kitted out and stock up). Maybe the occurrence of one off /rare events, NPC/AI powered higher level enemies (make use of the military zombies). Some higher level goals than maintaining vehicles. As much fun as it is, I have found myself leaving my squad and just going back to elektro to hunt bandits to keep the game tense and exciting.

I'm really curious to see what features are implemented to keep the game interesting and engaging once you move inland.

[/quote']

I understand where you're coming from, I just think that the reason this game is so good is because there isn't a structure at all, you do what you want to do when you want to do it, take minecraft for example, people love the game because its down to you what you do during your time playing it. If there was an event like, a heli flies over and is shot down by an NPC bandit group so they can raid the supplies, and the aim of the event is to then find the crashed heli kill the bandits, check for survivors etc would be a good scenario, to add for say a week, but I really think that the game as it is structured now is perfect,

to please everyone, perhaps have certain servers running events and others just normal format?

when you pvp in arma 2 no fun

when you pvp in DayZ you know they raging so = fun

I hope there are no "events" it would feel like GW2 then :(

Also, I think despawning tents has merits however, it doesn't make sense from a realism point of view. Another survivor should still have the chance to stumble across a dead guys tent and loot it.

It's a tough one but I think my end game would be to establish a camp and then help other survivors. Main reason for this is I'd hope this is what I'd try to do in a real apocalypse.

Also' date=' I think despawning tents has merits however, it doesn't make sense from a realism point of view. Another survivor should still have the chance to stumble across a dead guys tent and loot it.

It's a tough one but I think my end game would be to establish a camp and then help other survivors. Main reason for this is I'd hope this is what I'd try to do in a real apocalypse.

[/quote']

You've hit the nail on the head there :D

Also' date=' I think despawning tents has merits however, it doesn't make sense from a realism point of view. Another survivor should still have the chance to stumble across a dead guys tent and loot it.

[/quote']

You've hit the nail on the head there :D

Keep the tents like they are (two days until they are wiped after the tent owners death) BUT with the owners death tents should be immediately placed on a random spot on the map.

Other survivors would still be able to loot the tent for 2 days. The respawned character would be able to loot it too if he's able to find the tent. :P

On the other hand this could bring us more KOS as not only your carried gear would be lost but also the tent with its gear would be much harder to find, if at all.