Sign in to follow this  
GeekPlaya

Burying Backpacks

We all know that when you die, it's the fucking end of the world. You could easily compare it to falling in lava in Minecraft.

But wait, what if you could bury a backpack full of items whenever you wanted?

Of course, it would be somewhat discrete, but there would be a small mound of dirt on the ground, so that others could possibly notice it and steal it.

However, the obvious advantage to this is so that when you die, you could feasibly retrieve your backpack (provided you can survive the distance to it) and get your items back (or however much you could actually store in there, obviously backpacks are limited in size).

I know, it seems to ruin the rage a bit at the end, but just truly think about it. It's also loot for strangers!

Rocket mentioned something recently about adding "caches" to the game. Apparently he is already thinking along these lines. Personally, I don't like the idea of getting your backpack back after death.

On the other hand I am a huge fan of tents, and caches would be a nice upgrade (or replacement mechanic) of tents. My beef with tents is that I would never stash valuable loot in the middle of a field in a tent, it would be well hidden in a manner that no one would ever find it but myself. the downside of a cache system though, is that it would seemingly ruin the risk vs. reward of being found and looted by other players.

Until they stop hackers from being able to identify the location of all tents on a server though, none of this matters at all because they are essentially a waste of your time.

We have tents that do almost exactly what you are wanting. Course, they are bulky, buggy and fairly plain to see (if you dont bug it out into a tree) but they serve their purpose this way.

Hidden caches would be nice, as a more secure way of doing things - as mentioned rocket has hinted at this.

No, once again, it would ruin the game.

This game is about getting attached to your character, not wanting to make stupid decisions and dying.

If you could bury your backpack, you wouldn't care as much about dying.

This is exactly why I dislike tent cities