Sign in to follow this  
frankiebeans

Why does it show players on my map?

So, I finally got myself a map today, and I was scouting out where I could go next, and I saw 3 orange dots. So I zoomed in and it said "man" and would update every handful of seconds where they were. Eventually they just disappeared.

I tried looking up what it was on the wiki, but came up with no answers. Were these live players? If so, could they potentially see me? I'd hate to be minding my own business and have someone find me on the map and come to kill me because my location was displayed.

Some servers have it enabled, usually the servers not on Veteran mode. And when it says "man" it's more likely a zombie. The only way they can see you on their maps is spotting your nametag, then the blue dot is gonna appear on their map.And I believe the dots doesn't move accordingly.

Some servers have it enabled' date=' usually the servers not on Veteran mode.

[/quote']

So that means that they can potentially see me as well? Crap.

I updated my last post, check it out. And no, they can't just open their maps and spot uou right away, as I said they will have to spot your nametag/you.

Some servers have it enabled' date=' usually the servers not on Veteran mode. And when it says "man" it's more likely a zombie. The only way they can see you on their maps is spotting your nametag, then the blue dot is gonna appear on their map.And I believe the dots doesn't move accordingly.

[/quote']

Ahhh okay. The dots I saw were definitely orange, and I used my binoculars to see the players, but only saw zombies and wasn't sure if they were just hidden well. This makes more sense.

Thank you for the clarification!

They're just zombies you've spotted. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, seems a bit random. In theory, players would show up as blue dots anyway.

So I noticed today the server I play on shows my location on the map.

The server is labelled as veteran but meh not reet bothered.

making my way into berezino I noticed the map showed the orange dots people are talking about and each was labelled as "man",

these orange dots WERE players. they passed me moments later on the main road.

Now I aint so keen on this feature as anyone who knows of this ability has a cheap way to gain an advantage. I understand it may not always reflect people location but even if it does so some of the time it's a feature that I wasn't aware of.

also when I jump of my ATV it shows on the map for a good 5 minutes or so . please tell me this is only visible to me!!!!!!!!!

I thought the first time crap someones over the road but i figured out in the end i was surrounded by 6 people that ment zombies lol

This feature seems hit and miss, on my map its shown both players and zombies as blue dots named 'man', hopefully that will stop people using it as a gps to your location