cucu (DayZ)

My first hands-on experience with DayZ

It probably starts out just as it started for most of you: stumble upon a random clip on youtube and it was love at first stream.

A few dayZ later I proceeded to purchase Arma II CO on steam, poked a bit around with it, even played some singleplayer which by the way is quite fun.

In the mean time I continued to watch youtube videos, read around on the forum and after a fair bit of time I started up DayZ for myself.

The very first try, was, again very similar to most of yours:

Woke up on the beach "Awsome! I am in DayZ, This is so cool! There's a house! I'll go loot... tra la la la, Hei! look another survivor... I wonder if he's frien..." BANG - shoots me in the face.

No biggie, it was expected, I mean it was the first time, I didn't even know all the controls.

Back to youtube, the forums, install new update, browse map, prepare for new session. This was right before the update.

[session 1]

Found myself on the beach again, this time very close to Cherno. I noticed there was a construction site with a huge crane very close. First quest idea? Get as high as possible on the crane to find my bearings. So be it: went to the crane, very carefuly avoiding all zombies and started climbing. The view was spectacular.

Right before getting down, Lady Luck shawn on me: I saw another survivor just near the construction site, preparing to enter the building. He had a cool gun, a cool backpack, and he didn't notice me. Recipe for disaster. So I proceeded to send a few well placed Marakov bullets from above but he got away in the building. I went down carefully, was almost sure that he had left the site by then but as I as exploring the rooms on the second floor, I saw him again. Still had a few bullets with his name on them so I proceeded to deliver them. He died, I got my first murder, he called me an asshole in the chat and that was it! I was happy with my shiny new gun (not sure about the name, has a scope with a red dot in the middle, not very high zoom factor), bigger backpack and random loot.

Having had more than enough excitement, I left the town as fast as I could and ran to the forrest nearby. Got up a small hill, went prone and took some breather time for inventory management.

Having finished that, I was planning to go deeper inland and find some mountain or high place to check out. Well, Lady Luck was still switched on as I noticed another survivor creeping just at the bottom of the hill I was on. I need to make a short note here: at first when I discovered DayZ, I was all about teaming up but after seeing many youtube videos of very friendly players geting shot in the face over and over again just for hesitating, and also after what happened to me on my first go, I had to adopt a strict "shoot on sight" policy. Also wanted to try out my new rifle. Long story short, I earned my second headshot there and some more loot.

At this point I prepared my tasks for survival. Had guns, ammo, water. Don't know about others, but for me there is like a complusory need: in every sandbox game, I always have to find the highest mountain/building and climb to the top of it. Also I needed to find matches (still do) because I had firewood and raw meat rotting away in my backpack. Yes, I tested the hatchet and hunting knife.

The next part of the story is pretty straightforward, carefull exploration, hiding in the woods, searching for matches (without any luck), some zombie shooting at some ruins on top of a hill (Bor I think), ending up speding some time in Stary Sobor.

[session 2]

This is the episode in which I almost died. Preparing to leave Stary Sobor, I noticed in the distance a small car going fast on a road. I went quickly up a hill and stopped at the treeline to see what's going on. Sat down, took out the binoculars and I saw the car very very far away, parked next to a house. Next to it I could almost see something very small and shiny, but it was too far away even for the binoculars. The shiny thing was, most probably the driver, who had noticed me, and was looking at me through his sniper scope. I say that because, although I didn't hear any shots, I could hear bullets hitting the ground around me. Scary moment! Being much to far away, and getting already shot at, I chose to leave. Ran further up the hill, into the woods and I never saw that guy again. Not sure if he tried to find me or just went on his business. Not really happy about this as I would have liked a long range sniper rifle and a car for sure, but that was not my main goal then. I prefered to stay alive.

I knew I was close to NW Airfield but I didn't want to go there. Same reason, I like more being alive than dead. So, I just ran through the woods, for what seems like miles and miles with absolutely nothing around. Saw some boars and a rabbit. Replenished my water supply at a small lake but, because I ran for such a long time, and changed directions from time to time, I have absolutely no idea where I ended up.

My priority still is to find a darn box of matches and to figgure out where I am.

So, which is the highest mountain/place where I could get to? :)

That was a nice story..

I'm on a beach- How did I get here...

Landed in Elektro, Climb the back hill, then creeping into town, first building had some coke and canned food, and random piles of ammo, I took all for now.

Second building, directly opposite had more drinks, and random tut, like flare's and glow stick etc, Crept out, and made a dash across the road to something that may have been a shop, Big score here- found map, compass, crossbow+1 bolt, Water bottle and more coke cans and food than I could carry..

Ok pretty well stocked, lets go before my luck runs out, Slow creep to door, then leg it across road- Hmm another open door, another quick one wont hurt - 2 floors- 1st has pistol and a few mags, 2nd floor find bolt, watch and knife.

Growling and rustling at door, leg it out the other way and pull Infected, which trigger 2 more, Running like mad towards my exit point ( always attack loot spots with exit point - force walk slopes are the best) Hit the hill and slow to a walk, growling is very close, quick peek behind there's about 6+ 2 hoppers following, Zagged the hill then run back down again, which cleared running infected, quick inspect, find nothing useful.

So lets get out of here- run to forest, and hide in bush whilst checking on my spoils. Plan now is to head north, Weapons check Bow+2bolts, and pistol with about 20 rounds, 4 cokes 3 tins of food and full water bottle.

My journey up north consisted of a few careful barn raids. few Dear Hides and the odd service station, found some more ammo that I can convert for pistol, it now reads 7-6 and another 3 bolts and Bino's

after Hitting Gvozdno, I decided to head West and check out Devils Castle, then move onto the Airfield.

Downed Chopper- So much loot, I was Hoping for a Ghillie, I stand out like a sore thumb, But no luck, Some Big meaty look guns, But no ammo, and a snipe rife will 4 mags, the rife also had the red dot.

Entering Air field - I see, which at first I thought was a hopper, But no its a survivor, Scope up he is armed, pistol in hand and rifle slung, I shot I kill......His name was Dave and he was a good man, I feel bad....

After searching through the Hangers, finding some more consumables then I head up towards the what appears to be the personnel quarters, Following a concrete fence- I see movement- Human movement flicker of a figure near a bush, I keep tight and slow full back into the woods.

I was flanked- Male crouching Rile ready, I circle him and shoot. I was Han solo - Bleeding bad, arm fractured, I bandage and eat - I will survive -

The body - I learn nothing, few weapons not much ammo, No food or water.

I head back towards the quarters- and enter the first small Hut- I hear walking, I head breathing- it Gets louder, Closer, I crouch as tight as I can to the wall, The breathing now sounds like exhaustion and right outside, - Is there a window behind me, I quickly look behind to find solid wall, someone enters, its like a knife fight in a phone box, he falls first, blood spraying, it turns gray -

I'm on a beach- How did I get here...

I am incredulous that anyone has ever lived long enough to find a weapon of any kind. Stumbling around in the pitch darkness, with or without a useless flashlight, and always getting murdered by zombies without ever finding a weapon, is not actually any fun at all. I was enjoying the game when I bought Arma 2 last week. Now it is almost impossible to play at all.

I am incredulous that anyone has ever lived long enough to find a weapon of any kind. Stumbling around in the pitch darkness' date=' with or without a useless flashlight, and always getting murdered by zombies without ever finding a weapon, is not actually any fun at all. I was enjoying the game when I bought Arma 2 last week. Now it is almost impossible to play at all.

[/quote']

Don't play at night. It's not that hard to find a weapon. Hit the military spawns down south or risk heading north without a weapon to find loot. If you die you die, just don't get attached to your gear and you'll be fine.

I am incredulous that anyone has ever lived long enough to find a weapon of any kind. Stumbling around in the pitch darkness' date=' with or without a useless flashlight, and always getting murdered by zombies without ever finding a weapon, is not actually any fun at all. I was enjoying the game when I bought Arma 2 last week. Now it is almost impossible to play at all.

[/quote']

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=21693

TL;DR

All within a couple hours of the latest 1.7 patch on a fresh spawn.

Walk into cherno, raid a couple bars for a Guille suit, enfield, ammo, 2 food cans and 2 pops and enough drugs and bandages to survive killing a double barrel equipped player and 2 hordes.

(ty player carrying extra makarov ammo.)

I was lucky at some points but the game isn't impossible by a long shot.