Sign in to follow this  
Cakelord

Zeroing of CZ 550

Hey guys. I have a question regarding zeroing on a CZ 550.

How can you estimate the range to your target, and how high you should aim?

How high you should aim is based on how far away the target is and what your zeroing is set to. If you know the target is close to 400m away, all you have to do is zero the sights to 400m and you don't have to aim above them at all. Experiment as much as you can.

Alright, but just to make it clear, there is no system inside of the scope to guess range (like mildot or that system Russian scopes have)?

The CZ doesn't, but the DMR does. If you have a map, you can judge the approximate meters from where you are to another spot by zooming into the map. The grids at close range on the map stand for 100m increments. Additionally, some servers allow you to place a waypoint on your map, which will then appear on your HUD. The waypoint on your map shows the approximate distance to that waypoint.

Also, some servers will tell you the approximate distance a player is from you when you place your crosshairs on them.

I have yet to see nightvision OR Rangefinders. Rangefinders would be awesome.

A few Sniping tips.

If you can get a rough range, always OVER-zero your sniper and aim lower than your target. Better to get a gutshot if you miss judge, than to Under-zero and try to "drop" the bullet.

The CZ550 Chevron (arrow) is roughly 1.5 Mil dots. 1.5Mil Dots in distance is around 1200m. Using this as a basis if your target is twice as tall as your Chevron (foot on the arrow at the bottom) that would be equal to 3mildots or a distance of 600m.

This is all based on the mil-Dot snipers like the M24 or DMR.

The basic formula is [18000] 1.8m (Man height) * 1000 / Mildot Height.

The mildot height is how many Mildots your target consumes. Centre Mildot on the feet of target, count the mildots upward.

Example:

Target Mildot height 3 = 1.8*1000/3 = 600m

I have written out on a sticky note on the side of my monitor the basic Mil Dot height > Distance ratios. Enjoy them:

MILDOT = DISTANCE

5.0 = 360m

4.5 = 400m

4.0 = 450m

3.5 = 514m

3.0 = 600m

2.5 = 900m

2.0 = 1200m

I haven't gone any lower as very few rifles fare well beyond 1200m.