Sign in to follow this  
blazed

Q: How to Snipe people successfully from about 700-800 meters?

I'm pretty shit with Mosin sniper rifle.

I'm pretty shit at judging distance aswell but I use the Dayz map to judge the distance between my location and the places I'm sniping so that helps a little.

I've watched a few tutorials on youtube but they haven't been very helpful.

I've been trying to shoot people at 700-800 meters away, out of 10 people I spotted I killed only 1, he died instantly but lucky for me he was running towards my direction so not a lot of off movement.

I try to predict where the person might be 1-2 seconds later sometimes I'm spot on but I don't know where the fuck my bullet went, I don't even see the dust it leaves when it hits the ground, and with the chamber reload animation it's really hard to keep an eye on it.

My opponents know im sniping them, they panic and run around like headless chickens, so I guess the bullets are hitting somewhere nearby, I take about 5 shots miss all, and let the guy run off.

Using Bipod and Prone doesn't help my situaton.

So anyone got any real good tips for this situation or is sniping people 800 meters really a hard task to hit someone if they are moving? What would you say the ideal range is for a Mosin Sniper rifle?

This is my first time really giving the sniper rifle a try, I'm usually the M4 Close encounters guy, but I would really like to get good at long range too.

Thanks.

Today I had my first real experience with the long range scope. The first zombie practice target was 300m away (estimated). Hit him first time. The second was 1000m away (estimated with the map). Hit him first try.

Then my first human targets. Hit the first guy on my first shot. Still going well. The second guy took about 10 shots until I hit him, he probably didn't die. The third didn't get hit. He then lagged in to us (friend and I) a few minutes later, we both died, I couldn't see him due to lag (he was just running in one direction). It seems like it's literally hit or miss, the de-syncing makes it impossible to shoot properly regularly. The really really really stupid swaying of the scope (totally annoying, it's not done well at all), and not being able to see where the bullets land make it really hard to snipe.

• Like 1

At that distance you want your first shot to count. I usually wait until their not moving and unlikely to move right when i fire my bullet, otherwise they you miss and they tend to serpentine and do all sorts of crazy movements making it near impossible to hit them

To compensate for not knowing the range, what I do is aim in the stomach/chest area so if its too high, it will hit them in the head or neck, and if its too low it'll hit them in the legs or crotch. A shot in the leg is better than missing.

• Like 1

At 300 to 400 m it is easy to get head shots lying prone with a scope,although finding suitable places with low grass is a problem lol

At 600 m I aim just above the head around say 6 inches then 12 inces ofr 700 m and then 18 inches to 24 inches above the head for 800 m

I try to make sure a get a frontal or back view rather than a side view of target for more coverage on body,also trying to set up for a spot where the furtue target will stop as when opening a door before going in a building,or in a building through the window where the target will be entering through that doorway

700 to 800 m shots I bthink are a bit out there for the Mosin and that the rifle is more than capable and deadly at 400 to 600 m

Anyone doing well at 700 m shots has a lot of practice ,and a good eye!

Edited by Scott61

Thanks for the input guys, yeah probably better off getting closer, which in return means more likely to die but I guess thats fair.

Yeah the lack of bullet impact is really irritating, I now can't adjust my shots, hopefully that's a bug and will be fixed.  

Anyway, at 800m, it's going to be very hard to land a shot on a moving target. So 

Rule 1 - Don't fire unless your target is standing still, running directly towards/away from you, or in rough terrain. Your first shot is the most important, it's the shot the target doesn't know is coming, make it count. 

Rule 2 - On still targets aim for the base of the neck to prevent shooting over, while you should still catch their legs if you're under. Go to Dayzdb and check the ranges there to make sure you're zeroed correctly in the first place, and trust your zeroing. 

Rule 3 - Know your equipment, if your LRS is damaged or badly damaged, at 800 meters the shot is going to noticeably pull to the left.  

Rule 4 - Choose your position well, you want to have a designated kill zone where you expect your targets to be at their most vulnerable - eg looting, drinking, opening a door, going up stairs/ladder. As well as that you want to have a good view of the surrounding area so you can spot targets and predict their movements, prepare yourself, and let the adrenaline burn through you like a dodgy curry.  

So that's basically all I can give you at the moment, I'm keen for windage to become a factor as that'd going to be awesome. All in all sniping can be pretty hit or miss.....and mostly it comes down to waiting for the best time to take the first shot. 

Sturdy hands and a good mice. 

Sniping that distance is very difficult.  I find that even with pristine attachments when it gets to a certain distance there's a decent amount of luck involved, mostly at 700+ meters.

Easiest way to get used to judging distance since the scope doesn't have mildots... Zombie target practice. Get used to how big they look through the scope when you're zeroed in at a distance. People are same size. If you know a zombie is about an inch high on your screen at say... 600 meters, a person is too.

I snipe a lot, and don't always do well. I miss a lot of shots- but I put that down to the run-n-gunner soul that I have. I need more patience.

That said, setting up and sitting tight are first and foremost. Get in a good position. Secondly, know your ranges from your position, to several other key positions in your line of sight. Thirdly, know an escape route.

Best place I had found to long-distance snipe was the apartments above Balota, in Chapevsk. Many key areas at the airfield are in excess of 600m,(ATC is almost 600m, east jail just shy of 450m) and the barracks across the airfield are around 850. Other people will definitely have other selections, and thats good- you need to have someplace to bug out to once the heat is on.

I expended a LOT of ammo over there, for minimal return. Those 850m shots were like pissing into the wind, using a pristine-kitted mosin, from prone, with bipod deployed, on the roof. 600m is a really nice shot, in my experience. Beyond that, I would base it on how much ammo you can afford to waste.

I've made quite a few 7-900m shots.

First, holding the right mouse buttons may zoom your view in farther, but it also is the default hold breath button. Don't zoom in fully until you are ready to take the shot. Instead, use the + and - buttons on your numpad (default keys) to zoom.

Second, as stated, don't shoot unless they aren't moving. Unless you are covering your friend and you need to shoot, they are quite a ways away, just let em pass, it's really not worth it. (You have a loaded mosin, what more do you need?)

Third, the shot's aren't consistent. I find sometimes they go dead center (up or down depending on range), sometimes they go off to the side. I once sniped a dude off of the tallest building in cherno from way back by the project/apartment area. Was about 850m. First shot was up and right, second down and left, third down and right. Headshotted on my 4th I believe. In this case, don't stop and wait to see where the bullet lands, just fire consecutively until they are dead or you need to reload (don't give them a chance to take cover).

Somebody mentioned a leftward pull to the left on damaged scopes - I believe they did something about this? I use badly damaged scopes as frequently as pristine. They used to all pull left, but lately they all behave the same. Maybe it's just something to do with shot inconsistency as I've stated. 

For finding distance, I personally find distances between common areas. Once you know the common area distances, guesstimate new locations based on those. 

• Direct west treeline to Berezino construction site = 700 ish meters. 
  • Berezino Construction site to the barn south = Approx. 600m.
  • New sniper hill in Berezino to the Police Station = roughly 5-700m depending where you position yourself.

And a couple of tips -  when you are hitting the shots from 800+m away, I find they do not die in the first shot EVER unless it is a head shot. There was one dude terrorizing elektro from the hospital roof, So I took up a position a good 850m away. Dropped him 3 times, each time he got back up, then someone unloaded a 60 mag into and around my spot, so I had to fall back. 

And, if there is a lot of action near you and you can get away with a shot without giving your position away, shoot a sign, or a wall or something to get an idea of bullet location. 

Edited by LigerRider

Watch your target, dont rush the shot, most people shoot as soon as someone sits still then miss coz the target hhmoved, understand what he is doing, wait for that perfect shot, if you dont get it, dont shoot, better not to shoot than miss.

Always go for the kill shot on the first shot, if theyre running/doing the zigzag, shoot for the legs.

This is just me, but never stay prone, go prone before taking the shot, its easier to spot a body proned under a tree from a distance. Keep your head on a swivel, everyone wants a free mosin with lrs.

When youre sniping, have a pre determined killzone, have every inch of that kill zone ranged and measured, like building A is x distance and building B is x distance and use that as your reference, never shoot beyond your kill zone. And have your gun ranged to 200 and only adjust to a higher range before shooting. People have shot and missed me sneaking up on them because they have their mosins zeroed to 800.

Shoot and relocate. Ive been killed so many times by people ive killed that respawned and went back to kill me or friends of those who i shot.

Everything else is practice.

:D

A lot of interesting stories and tips thanks guys... I'm taking mental notes of all of them...

I've been experimenting so I'll share my finds too:

Firstly this tutorial wasn't quite accurate for me, FOV maxed out and Zeroed in a Zombie was only 2 Mil dots on my screen (educated guess from scope cross) so the Maths was 1.8 x 1000 = 1800 / by 2 mildots = 900 meters, I missed the zombie twice on a 800 scope and finally got him on a 700 meters adjustment. So now I just drop down two levels from whatever that caculation gives me and it's working ok.

I've also noticed it took 2 whole seconds before the zombie took the bullet, so trying to shoot moving/dancing targets of 700+ meters is a no no for me now, just too hard to predict where someone will be in 2 seconds. As others have pointed out already now. I think anything less than 600 is more forgiving in terms of how far the bullet will fly off and a less timeframe for prediction.

Twice I had someone come up to me and lay next to whilst I was sniping, lol they were blind as ****, I shot them instantly dead even with a 800 adjustment, probably works because they were only 2 meters away from me.

At over 800 meters I dont even know where my bullets go anymore, its like they vanish into thin air, can't shoot stuff beyond that point even prone/bipod, all prestine stuff.

I've remapped my Hold Breath to "T" now, and removed it off my right mouse button, I've been experimenting holding my breath but it doesn't stop my cursor from moving any less...

Oh I forgot to mention, getting the meters right at those long distances is absolutely crucial and the most important aspect, if you are targeting a standing zombie at 700 meters 600 and 800 adjustments will consistently miss while getting it right (700) would hit on first try. However a Zombie at 300 meters can still be easily hit if you are off by 100 (so 200 and 400 would still most likely hit) I'm pretty sure most skilled players will know this already but discovering this has helped me a lot.

Edited by blazed

well, start to use sniper rifles more often and you'll get used to guessing the distances.

I never used a rangefinder in a real situation in the mod, always guess the distance and make adjustments on the fly, it works most of the time, if you have a decent position.