Sign in to follow this  
Ubernaut

A quick salute

A bit of an uplifting story. Maybe you'll recognize yourself here.

A day or two ago, I was poking around Berezino and began hearing gunfire. It sounded like a single survivor shooting zombies. Now, I've made it a point to hang around whatever populated city I spawn in, just to maximize my chances at player interaction. I've been avoiding it during much of my time in Chernarus, and I think that forcing myself to be around randoms more often will reduce my jitters in a PVP situation, should it arise later on when I'm playing in earnest.

So here I am in Berezino, without any ammunition in my SKS. I figure it's a good idea to head to the police station and see if there's anything of use. When I get there, there's a dead guy on the second story. I pause and listen for footsteps, check my surroundings, and then try to check him for loot. I end up accidentally hitting "Open Door" on the wheel menu, and there I am face-to-face with a player crouched at the far wall, Mosin aimed at me. There's no time to react, and he fires, clipping me in the arm. I turn and dash down the stairs and get on the mic, asking him to cease fire. I hear him ask if I'm the guy shooting people in town, to which I only reply "I don't even have any bullets!". I get to the woodline and patch myself up, noting a fracture. Great. My vision is blurred too. Good thing I had a backup roll of bandages in the medkit in my pants, because the one in my shirt pocket is ruined.

I spend the next 10-15 minutes running around half-blind, looking for sticks to splint my arm. I'm not being stealthy anymore. Then, I hear a voice behind me. "You. Stop." Well, shit. Time for my first experience of getting handcuffed and fed rotten fruit. The player who halted me is geared the same as the one who shot me in the first place. I am resigned to my fate, but decide to talk to him. Turns out, I was able to trade my SKS for a shot of morphine and his Mosin. He apologized for shooting me, and I didn't hold it against him. How could I?

I believe his handle was "Owner." Thanks, bro.

Also a half hour later, I met a random stranger at the Berezino construction site who was fully geared. Not only did he hold fire, but he gave me some actual AMMO for the Mosin.

TL;DR: Random Heroes do still exist. Faith in humanity (slightly) restored.

• Like 7

That's a great story with an ending you don't see too often.

Glad you had a positive experience, although I must admit that the geared player who gave you ammo made a rookie move by doing that.

I've given ammo to players to help me kill bandits that were shooting at them only to have these gifts implanted in the back of my head.

He was aware of that possibility, and as soon as he dropped the ammo, he was around the corner and gone. I was ducking behind a dumpster as we talked. It was about as tense an exchange as I'd ever experienced, but it turned out to be legit.

When you hear a person who sounds rational and mature on the other end, it can help a lot.