I'm a little confused about the zombie spawn rate. I've watched numerous youtube videos before I downloaded this mod. In every video, I watch the player go into a small town, or group of houses, or a barn. In the videos, there is usually 3 or 4 zombies that the player spots and has to avoid while they're searching for loot.

However, when I play it is much...much...different. Playing yesterday, I decided to start counting and this is the result:::

Went to the outskirts of a very small town. Probably only 3 or 4 loot locations inside at the most. Just from one vantage point, I counted 19 zombies. Now that is 19 zombies that I can see from ONE position.

Quickly scrapped that idea and made my way to another very small village. This time, I was able to count 22 zombies!!

22+19=41

Thats 41 total zombies in my area. The debug screen displayed a total zombie count of 129 for the entire server.

That means out of 129 zombies...41 of them just happen to be crowded around the two small villages I was near. Leaving only 88 zombies to cover the entire remaining area of the server.

Now, it gets better.

Scrapped that idea as well and continued on to a third village. This one a little larger. From the hill on the outskirts, I counted 23 more zombies.

Now we're up to 64 zombies...out of 129...that just happen to spawn in the three areas I try to get in to.

Other than the chance that the debug monitor is simply not displaying the correct total number of zombies; anyone have any thoughts on why the large numbers seem to appear at any spot I try to loot?

Im sorry for not recording the server name, or the name of the villages.

The spawn rate is fucked, i was just at a deer stand, started killing 2 military and 1 police zombie, killed them then another 3 re-spawned straight away right in front of my face, i killed them then that was it, but you only see 3 zombies max at deer stands for starters, and this had 6.

Yesterday we tryd to get in a little Farm/Gasstation thing, and we saw 4 Zombies! We are 3 Friends so we decided to shoot them, right after we shot them, 3 new Zeds spawned, we were like "wtf" but we shot them too, after that 6 new zombies spawned and we decided to get the fuck out of there! When we start running we added 3 additional fresh spawned zeds!

But that was in one place, we didnt had that before, and we play on this charakter now for about 6 Hours playtime! :/

Crashed Heli sites are the worst for me. There are usually about 20 zeds already there and when you kill them 20 more spawn again. Makes it more difficult and can annoy the shit out of ya when it has already been looted

Yes, zombies spawn on top of your head from thin air.

What worse, is that the calculations that take place, to see where you are in the world, and then to start spawning zombies, most of the time lag.

This could be a good and a bad thing. Good thing, is if you are lucky and fast, you can get in and out before game even spawns any zombies.

Bad thing, is that if you are fast but unlucky, you will have 3-4 zeds spawn right on top of your ass.

Per the map (http://dayzmap.info/) there was, at one time at least, supposed to be some kind of probability involved. So some hut by the side of the road had a 30% chance of spawning any zombies (triggered by an approaching player) and then the number might be in the 1-4 range depending on the dice roll. Although the numbers seem a bit off to me - you don't want to be strolling in unopposed 70% of the time - the idea seemed right, there should be a chance (say 5%) that you can get loot without a fight, particularly as new players don't get a weapon.

In actuality zombies seem to spawn 100% of the time and the max. zombie value seems to be ignored also. Hopefully a future build will sort out these issues but for now it's a right pain, particularly for an unequipped or injured player who can't afford to take chances.

It happens a lot. When I'm doing overwatch for my group of survivors and I have to kill one almost immediately another 1-2 spawn. Makes it pretty much a waste of ammo to clear an area. Honestly, you should avoid trying to clear an area of zeds before you loot it anyway. It's a waste of ammo. This isn't a huge deal if you're well established on a server, but still.. Better save the ammo for when you really need it.

That means out of 129 zombies...41 of them just happen to be crowded around the two small villages I was near. Leaving only 88 zombies to cover the entire remaining area of the server.

Now' date=' it gets better.

Scrapped that idea as well and continued on to a third village. This one a little larger. From the hill on the outskirts, I counted 23 more zombies.

Now we're up to 64 zombies...out of 129...that just happen to spawn in the three areas I try to get in to.

[/quote']

your maths are screwy, Z's despawn when your around 100 meters from them, so when the server had 129 Z's you had 23 around you not 64

have noticed the fast spawns though, we approached a downed chopper 8 Z's .... i kill 4 with an mp5sd so we can get in and loot, we start walking away i check our back for any Z's that turned around and are heading towards us and suddenly theres 12-14 of them hanging around where we just came from

I have no idea whats going on with the spawing.

its seems broken of late, I could just clean out the loose zombies around a Barn and then check out the place, Now the minute I shoot, they're spawning all over the place- I just died as 3 spawn on top of me about 15 mtrs prone from the barn -as I was shooting 15 newly spawned zombies that were running at me.

It seems the only way to kill them now is to have them flying off a steep hill .

i have also noticed the fast respawn of zombies,kill 3 zombies at a deerstand loot it and by the time i get down from the ladder i alrdy see new zombies walking around(this isnt a big problem with deerstand or other buildings in remote locations,but its a real problem when firing a loud weapon in a town:u shoot a zombie,agro a bunch more by the time u have shot half ot them the first one alrdy respawned and is re-agroed from u shooting the still oncomming horde.zombies shouldnt spawn so close to survivors(unless the survivor stays in the same location for 10-15minutes +)they def shouldnt be respawning when they were shot by someone a minute ago and that person is still in that area.

kinda silly wiping a whole farm,goin into the barn to loot,walking out of the barn to find the place filled with zombies again.

In response to OP:

The spawns are dynamic. That means zombies only spawn near houses, where there is a player within about 100-250 meters from a building of any kind.

That means, if you are the only person online in the server, then the debug monitor will only show the zombies YOU spawn.

In your case, when you left the first town, the 19 zombies despawned and were subtracted from the total amount of zombies on the server. When you entered the next town, 22 were added to the total amount of zombies.

The more buildings you see, the more zombies they will spawn. It's completely normal for a single building to spawn anything around 3-6 zombies. A small town could have about 10 houses, so that could potentially be as many as 60 zombies per a very small town. Of course all the buildings would have to be in that 100-250 meter range of you to cause a spawn.

In reply to everyone else:

Yes the zombie spawns have been somewhat fucked on certain servers as of 1.5.8 I think.

The speed zombies spawn can cause infite spawning, meaning they will spawn as fast as you can kill them.

Also, moving in groups sometimes can cause the buildings to trigger a 3-6 zombie spawn PER PERSON in range of the building. Meaning 3 people approaching a single building can potentially cause a spawn of 18 zombies. This part though, I think was fixed.

The speed of the spawn however, might still be a bit screwy.