taco86

Why does the cross bow do more damage than the m4?

Guns were developed to cause the human body to bleed to death, not result in instantaneous death (but can still happen). When the human body has adrenaline flowing a person can withstand MANY shots before dying, because adrenaline dulls nerve endings and localizes blood flow to vital organs/muscles. The human body is a lot more durable than some of you give it credit. If you got shot in a non-vital organ, controlled the bleeding, and took antibiotics to fight the possibility of infection you would survive. You wouldn't even need to remove the bullet or undergo surgery (however, your recovery time would be greater without). Considering this, the game isn't actually that far off from reality. Back on subject, the crossbow is definitely a little overpowered but nobody would use it if it did less than rifles (except if it took the place of your melee weapon).

Remember the adrenaline only kicks in sometimes and even then alot of the times hydrostatic shock takes over and incapacitates the person.

Being able to take multiple shots is a pistol thing, it is quite rare for a person to take multiple rifle shots and not be completely incapacitated.

One thing I am interested in knowing is how does the body react when it gets hit by a rifle gunshot without any anticipation just walking along the street and it gets railed by a .223 tot he chest.

The bullet travels faster than the speed of sound so it would have impacted the person long before the body could register the sound.

I OHKO'd someone with the crossbow yesterday. It penetrated his black ballistic helmet and left him instantly dead.

The helmet became ruined too.

Remember the adrenaline only kicks in sometimes and even then alot of the times hydrostatic shock takes over and incapacitates the person.

Being able to take multiple shots is a pistol thing, it is quite rare for a person to take multiple rifle shots and not be completely incapacitated.

One thing I am interested in knowing is how does the body react when it gets hit by a rifle gunshot without any anticipation just walking along the street and it gets railed by a .223 tot he chest.

The bullet travels faster than the speed of sound so it would have impacted the person long before the body could register the sound.

The shock would be so profound that it could cause death. If you're completely oblivious to any danger and get shot in the foot, you can go into shock and actually die.

Okay look guys, point is in real life one shot and your done, no matter what. Yeah, theres exceptions, look at Iraq. But to be blunt, its pretty much obe shot one kill.

Yes because every person that has ever been shot ever has died. :rolleyes: Don't be silly, people survive being shot in the brain.

Edited by Hells High

Yes because every person that has ever been shot ever has died. :rolleyes: Don't be silly, people survive being shot in the brain.

Usually with serious life changing repercussions...

TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) Most people that endure a TBI need to be in some sort of special care facility for the rest of their lives.

Getting shot in the head and being perfectly ok a week later = equivalent to winning the Power Ball

Usually with serious life changing repercussions...

TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) Most people that endure a TBI need to be in some sort of special care facility for the rest of their lives.

Getting shot in the head and being perfectly ok a week later = equivalent to winning the Power Ball

I never said it wasn't without consequence. Non fatal wounds in other places of the body can leave you pretty messed up too. I was pointing out the massive fallacy of his statement which was "shot irl = dead" no matter what.

Edited by Hells High
  • Like 1

I never said it wasn't without consequence. Non fatal wounds in other places of the body can leave you pretty messed up too. I was pointing out the massive fallacy of his statement which was "shot irl = dead" no matter what.

If yoi read the whole thread, you would have seen it was a miscommunication that was cleared up. Reading: It saves lives.

Bolts and Arrows being more lethal than bullets is specifically video game and Hollywood BS...

This. Its a gamey feature.

The question is in the title.  I'm seriously wondering why the cross bow is a one hit to the chest with it's 100ish ft/lbs of energy...  In comparison, the m4 takes several body/chest shots yet it has over 1,200 ft/lbs of energy?  Realistically an arrow/bolt wound is childs play compared to high velocity rifle wounds.

P.S. This is not a "buff m4" request, the m4 was simply used as an example.

WTF crossbows are in the game now??? where are they I want one!

It may not make sense to someone who has never been in a war zone and never seen the effects of something first hand, I have and know my position comes from experience and education.

lmao

Sorry but I am a Navy Seal so I think I know better. Guns should do more damage than crossbows. Xbows are already silent so that is a huge plus.

• Like 1

Dont' claim to be a Navy SEAL. If you were on the teams you wouldn't claim it here. Thats really disrespectful to the guys out there in harms way.

• Like 1

Dont' claim to be a Navy SEAL. If you were on the teams you wouldn't claim it here. Thats really disrespectful to the guys out there in harms way.

You do know what sarcasm is right ?

I have no idea how I was supposed to read sarcasm in that. That stuff really irks me so maybe your right and I'm a little bit of a sensitive nancy about it.

Also reading these uninformed posts about ballistics and traumatic wound theory just threw me off a bit too.

• Like 2

This thread has derailed into "hur dur guns do damages ", "hur dur crossbows do damages too"

When actually in-game a bullet shot that would penetrate your stomach and would be mean death without proper medical treatment is actually patched with some bandages.

A few dayz ago I got shot at 4 metres by a shotgun in my legs, "realistically" my legs would be blasted to smithereens but a shot of morphine and pow-wow I was running for miles again never to be bothered by it ever again.

There's a point at which realism is sacrificed in favor of fun. Crossbows add flavor and thus they're fun, not for you maybe but for others.

Anyways, this discussion started about an unrepresentative value "damage" which is tentative to change since none of the things in-game have been balanced ie.:

an axe hit to your body only leaves you bleeding, you have no organs, morphine cures fractures, etc...

Can we focus on making the game fun rather then strive for ultimate realism as the latter one is practically un-achievable due to the game engine/design?

edit: I'd like to add that dayz is a hardcore survival game but: hardcore=/=realism, just wanted to get that out there.

Edited by DedicateDdos
  • Like 2

The crossbow feels like something that came from CoD or the Battlefield series. Ballistic protection needs to apply at least partially, because they don't. I shot a guy in the helmet with the xbow and he died instantly.

The crossbow feels like something that came from CoD or the Battlefield series. Ballistic protection needs to apply at least partially, because they don't. I shot a guy in the helmet with the xbow and he died instantly.

Ballistic helmets are actually designed not to stop blunt force from penetrating but rather to redirect the force applied to it into a different direction, modern day crossbows actually carry enough force to penetrate steel.

It's mostly about direction at which the force is applied.

This thread has derailed into "hur dur guns do damages ", "hur dur crossbows do damages too"

When actually in-game a bullet shot that would penetrate your stomach and would be mean death without proper medical treatment is actually patched with some bandages.

A few dayz ago I got shot at 4 metres by a shotgun in my legs, "realistically" my legs would be blasted to smithereens but a shot of morphine and pow-wow I was running for miles again never to be bothered by it ever again.

There's a point at which realism is sacrificed in favor of fun. Crossbows add flavor and thus they're fun, not for you maybe but for others.

Anyways, this discussion started about an unrepresentative value "damage" which is tentative to change since none of the things in-game have been balanced ie.:

an axe hit to your body only leaves you bleeding, you have no organs, morphine cures fractures, etc...

Can we focus on making the game fun rather then strive for ultimate realism as the latter one is practically un-achievable due to the game engine/design?

edit: I'd like to add that dayz is a hardcore survival game but: hardcore=/=realism, just wanted to get that out there.

Who cares about fun.

Fun for any Bohemia made gun comes from realism.

More realism the better.

• Like 1

While certainly the reason and answer to my initial question, I clearly don't like dropping realism for "game play"...  Some realistic projectile physics and wounds in this "anti game" would be very welcome.

It is unrealistic though...  Take a look at what a crossbow does to simulated animal tissue, then compared it to a HV rifle round such as the 5.56...  Now either projectile will be lethal if it hits a lethal area, however the trauma to the body in the case of the 5.56 is many magnitudes greater...  As for the bolt, you have a relatively consistent and controlled wound channel.  In the case of the 5.56, the initial wound channel may be more narrow, however once the bullet tumbles and disintegrates you've got many pieces of copper/lead moving through your body at over 1,000 mph dumping  their energy.  The result is several ragged, unpredictable, and permanent wound cavities which are surrounded by several inches of mush caused by the 50+ gs caused by the bullet fragments transferring energy resulting in rapid temporary expansion of tissue...  HV rifle rounds can literally turn your innards into bloody mushy goup, an arrow or bolt fired from a modern bow/xbow does nothing of the sort.

"anti-game"

You're funny.

Who cares about fun.

More realism the better.

Bohemia makes firearms? I wasn't aware of that.

Besides that, we don't need them to add everything that's realistic, for the sake of realism. I'm an advocate for it, but that doesn't mean I want them adding shit/piss or full-on nudity/sex systems. Not that that has anything to do with crossbow bolt vs 5.56x45mm damage, but still.

Edited by Chaingunfighter
  • Like 1

Who cares about fun.

More realism the better.

I think you're mixing up a few things here, fun doesn't mean less realism per se.

• Like 1

Thank you for callin him out, a real SEAL wouldnt have time with these childish games. That is highly offensive, they risk and give their lives every day and why? So that you can say sonething like that. And this is coming from.someone whos starting the paperwork to serve my country.

/rant

But guys keep in.mind, its a video.game and extremely hard to replicate actual damage.statistics. Plus its alpha, so expect it to be changed.

• Like 2

I have no idea how I was supposed to read sarcasm in that. That stuff really irks me so maybe your right and I'm a little bit of a sensitive nancy about it.

Also reading these uninformed posts about ballistics and traumatic wound theory just threw me off a bit too.

It was pretty easy.

• Like 1

If the bow did less damage it would be useless. Imagine trying to get 5 rounds of to kill someone with a bow. Maybe the real world physics aren't correct, but it is a game and things need to be balanced. If they weren't, no one would ever bother with the bow. 

• Like 1

Okay look guys, point is in real life one shot and your done, no matter what. Yeah, theres exceptions, look at Iraq. But to be blunt, its pretty much obe shot one kill.

Unless it's a head wound the odd of surviving a single gun shot are about 70% +/-.  Especially from handguns.

• Like 1

If the bow did less damage it would be useless. Imagine trying to get 5 rounds of to kill someone with a bow. Maybe the real world physics aren't correct, but it is a game and things need to be balanced. If they weren't, no one would ever bother with the bow. 

so whats your point ?

If an item is useless in real life it should be in game.

A crossbow while not completely useless in real life would be pretty crappy against players armed with guns and the damage the arrows and bolts do would be minimal compared to the rifle bullets.

Balance should not even be considered in dayz. It just ends up screwing the game up.

• Like 3