ThatBritshGuy

Thermal sights. Yes or no?

Unrelated. You were refering to Eastern Europe like we are leaving in  caves here.

Not my intention at all.

I merely thought that western thermal optics the ones that are small enough to be mounted on weapons would be scarcer than in the west.

Unrelated. You were refering to Eastern Europe like we are leaving in  caves here.

You should quote whoever you're replying to, are you replying to gibonez, or me?

my thermals are not weapon mountable. while one is small enough to be one hand held, the other one is a binocular big and heavy.

the op was asking about thermals in general. no need to be weapon mountable and if they are rare and can be destroyed by shots or melee hits, i am happy to see them in game. and one more point: the thermals are eating batteries like hell (unlike nvg's) so keeping them running for long period of times is unrealistic.

@zedertone: my mistake. addresing to gibonez.

@gibonez: wealthy is a matter of point of view. i am just lucky i guess.

Edited by mugur

Yes, as long as they are rare, nothing was more fun than pwning kids with it in the mod.

Sniping is too easy yes but it is not a problem if you don't stand around in the open. I have yet to be sniped by someone in Dayz:SA and yes that is a challenge :p

Thermal scopes in rural Europe?

Sure they aren't wiped from the earth, notice how I said earth, but they are wiped out in most places probably destroyed or scavenged.

It's like finding an albino polar bear in mexico

Edited by Skyelur

i would say yes, but with some restrictions

1. restricted range of view - about 50 meters.

2. no glowing playermodels.

3. you can get dazzled with a flashlight for 5 seconds, even if you take the thermal optic down. (big bright point in the center of the screen, nearly half of the screen

then it would be well balanced

Edited by newguyzombie

Yes BUT, make them the old style really freaking LOUD kind you can hear for a long way off..  I had one in RL once and the scout platoon I was with freaked out and made me turn it off it was so loud.  That was back in 1991. 

If zeds are infected and not the living dead then they should also be seen, if the zeds are the living dead, then they should blend in with the ambient temperature.  I think what would be hard here is the heat loss rates of differing environmentals, on one hand at EENT it would be harder to use thermals since most everything is still losing heat from the sun there is some variation of course but it's gonna look pretty white out there.  On the other hand by about BMNT most everything that is not living is about the same temperature ( grass, trees, dirt, rocks, buildings and such like) unless there is some other heat source (someone cooking or a fire in a fireplace).  The colder it gets, the easier it is to see and distinguish bodies, engines, fires, etc.

Imagine thermals on a helicopter, that would be bad for people without helicopters.

I think I'd rather have a laser rangefinder, like this.

Military_Laser_rangefinder_LRB20000.jpg

Edited by Barnabus

It COULD be ok, no weapon mounts thou.

Make it binocular type, big and heavy. Four slots or something. Make it really rare.
Then make it have a really rare military spawned battery that gives few minutes of working time.

I bet 90% of population in poor eastern countries have never even seen a thermal device in their life.