Sign in to follow this  
kingbritain

Bambies and Helicopters

Alright, bambies, you've probably clicked on this post because you've got the basics of DayZ down and wish to move at a highly advanced rate. Perhaps you've established yourself as a viable player but want to learn helicopter basics. Perhaps you're running with a clan or group and want to gather materials for a base. Regardless of why, this is your (possibly) number one helicopter tactics guide. In its purest, helicopter flying is core to the game but is a serious risk. As one would imagine, helicopters are loud. And easy to hit. And fragile. You must have all the tools necessary to completely remodel this helicopter at a moment's notice. Let's get right to it.

======== Learning to Fly========

Surprisingly enough, ArmA 2 is worth more than just being a base game for DayZ and Wasteland. Its helicopter tutorial (and to an extent, the fixed-wing/VTOL training) is worth playing to learn. Some basic controls (using default key binding) are as follows: q to gain altitude, z to lose altitude, c and x to spin, and the mouse to angle. Helicopters fly by pushing air behind it via rotor, giving it lift and speed. I'm not going too in-depth on the controls. Play the tutorial in ArmA 2 so you can learn. Pro tip- land nice and slow.

======== Maintenance ========

It depends on the helicopter you're using, but the vast majority use a lot of parts. Even the Mozzie, the smallest helicopter, uses five distinct parts. Keep in your helicopter gear the following equipment: two main rotor assemblies, five scrap metal, fifteen to twenty jerry cans, two or three full fuel barrels, nine to fifteen windscreen glass, and five to seven wheels. Keep all vehicle parts under twenty percent. If it sounds like a pain, that's because it is. Helicopter driving is not for the faint of heart.

======== Tactics ========

This section will be split into two parts: base raids and Epoch missions. Base raids will be discussed first.

When assaulting a base from the ground, land and lock your helicopter about one kilometer out. This serves to not alert the base's inhabitants, wether by noise or visual. After the base has been cleared, fly the helicopter up and land in the base or right outside the base to make transport of supplies easier. After that, get the heck outta town, pronto!

Regarding Epoch missions, I have often flown directly over and sustained trivial or even no damage. If your helicopter has door guns, use them to knock down the majority of the AI, then disembark half a klick away and finish them off. As with base raids, bring the helicopter up to make supply transport easy. Same as before, turn tail quick-like, being a sitting duck is never fun.

And finally, regarding giving other players rides: NEVER, I WILL REPEAT NEVER, GIVE OTHER PLAYERS RIDES! It will end in your death. There is perhaps one exception, but I haven't met him yet.

Did I miss something? Comment it below!

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you in the field!

KingBritain

I can pick out those certain pilots in ARMA when they say "Oh don't worry I don't need a gunner, I use manual fire."

They always waste the choppers.

Always.

• Like 1