Sign in to follow this  
tbear1981

Feelings on my first Player Kill

So ive had this game nearly 2 weeks but spent far longer reading news and forums. Once i got the game i decided id try and play as myself and react as I would if i were in this situation. So to this end ive avoided KOS and killing full stop, Ive avoided combat ive talked way out of situations iv injured and dearmed players but avoided killing. Ive even got to the stage now if i see guys running around seemingly unarmed Ill offer them a weapon but will leave it a distance away then disappear. Ive even started loading weapons i find but dont need and leaving them for others to find loaded and ready to go.

So to my first kill. I finally found an airbase, not sure where i am i have avoided maps etc. but it has 2 jails 2 hangars and one radio tower. Id found it unlooted and had picked up some nice clothing and was erring on wether to change my amphibia.22 for an 1911 again. Ive been in full civvy gear so far cap rider jacket cargos, fireaxe sporter and amphibia. had mags for both so hadmt changed.

Anyway i was up in the radio tower when i hear a loud reload sound as someone spawns right next to me. Rather then pull my gun out i wait by top of stairs and try to engage in dialogue, when the guys ignores my voice and goes straight for gun i book it downstairs being followed by m4 fire. I make it out of building and bring out pistol waiting in a bush, guy comes running out of building straight into my sights, as ive got the drop i decide to wound not kill so the legs and arms get hit and he goes down and crawls back into building. At this point i decide to make my escape and leave him injured i got as far as the furthest hangar away from tower when the m4 fire starts again. I ducked into hangar followed by a few zeds. after taking care of them i expect to find the guy will have flanked me, i edge to door and find hes laying prone on tower balcony. he opens fire as soon as i peek out.deciding that after 5 days this life is coming to an end i get out the sporter thinking its to far away to hit him anyway. go down sights and strafe out aiming at him, full auto fire from him and 3 semi shots from me and the shots stop. im completely untouched and hes not firing or moving. i decide time to head up the tower and finish things either way, sure enough hes dead with all his gear intact apart from an ammo box which was ruined. checking through his gear hes got all the finest pristine miltary clothes and weapons, fully modded m4 and about 400 rounds of ammo and mags to spare. As im looting him i feel a real sense of guilt even though it was self defence id still killed my first player. Suddenly all that military stuff and that nice shiny m4 lost its appeal fast. Needless to say that apart from a canteen of water and a pristine can opener and sunglasses theres going to be a very happy looter first person who goes up that tower. I do hope whoever finds that loot heeds my note in the backpack. "sometimes KOS dosnt pay off"

Edit it appears im at 

Krasnostav airport, still not 100% on that Edited by tbear1981
  • Like 9

Cool story man. I'm still yet to find my first player, although only got the game yesterday. You fancy teaming up? Only prob is I don't have a mic.

Good story, and you were well within your rights. I've killed for far less than that. Once he opens fire on you he's fair game if you want to hunt him down. Bet your heart was pounding out of your chest!

Side note, I love the lack of death messages in the SA. So much more realistic. You had to wait and check whether he was dead, which is a fantastic change from the mod. So much of the KoS running and gunning in the mod was based on the principle of 'keep shooting until you get notification'. Hope the messages never come back! 

Edited by kander
  • Like 1

Good story but if you felt bad IRL I feel sorta sorry for you  man it's a game.....

I spawned and then got killed before it loaded fully. Glad there are people out there that try to talk first. Good stuff mate.

If he spawned into the tower and went straight to guns when you tried to talk to him, he was most likely a server hopper.  I wouldn't feel bad about it, as it was completely justified by his actions.

Sounds like you are at the Krasnostav airfield, more commonly referred to as the Northeast Airfield (NEAF).

Yea don't feel bad.. Don't know how long his stuff going to be there though? I take it dead people despawn after a x ammount of time? so no idea if anybody is even able to pick up the stuff and read the note ;)

Damn i thought it was all cool and melodramitic lol, yeah i could barely breath was most scary and intense thing ive had in game. i really had given up thinking it was my time and just ran out firing thinking of an OK corral kinda death. I dont think it was real life guilt but in game ive worked pretty hard to not be in a position i had to kill. Also abit was the futility of it, If hed of killed me and looted I think hed of pissed himself at the poor quality of gear I use and still do. Ive now started doing care packages in random places usually small backpack food water and whatever weapon i can carry in backpack. so if you ever see a guy with black fireaxe sporter rider jacket cap sunglasses and urban camos, leave a building, give it a minute to be safe and check the building you may get a nice starter set out of it.

• Like 1

This is a game you do never live from regrets.I've shot bambies, unarmed players, girl players and even the guy who does the morgan freeman impression.Many of those casses was my paranoia kicking in because I have been burned many times by trusting people i shouldn't.Do i feel guilt for some of the kills? Hell yeah I do, but I keep going, for every kill I regret I save someone after that just so I can even my karma atleast a little.

Don't live from regrets in this game.Use them to harden because you will make more and more regretful choices and you will need to make tough decisions.Harden up!

Fuck that guy, you let him live as he was server hopping and he still tried to KoS you.  Deserved that death and more.  Good job serving JUSTICE.

DayZ needs more people like you. Eventho some might think you shouldnt react like you would in real life because its "only a game".. Isnt it supposed to be simulator?

If you think of it as an simulator, i find it a little scary how sadistic most people get, when they meet another player, and realise they have the upper hand in the encounter.. 

Respect to everyone who doesnt abuse their power (gear in most cases) when given the chance to do so  =)

Alltho DayZ wouldnt be DayZ without some bandits :D

• Like 1

You gave him a chance and he answered your offer. You should not feel guilty vor protecting yourself. Stay like this and everything is fine. I recently met two guys and they offered me a chance too. Now we will walk together. I do not Server hop. We met accidently in Olsha. Later I had to kill for the first time time to help my new comrades. I do not feel any guilt, because the other Party shot first.

bang to rights  hate that shit when you try to be nice and get a round to the face for it!

that said, I had my first kill yesterday, same airport as you I think (NE) and i saw a guy running from a zombie "shit, he didn't see me".....so I follow into the jail to find him bandaging up. raise my m4 and one round to the head. for all of 20 seconds I was grinning to myself.."yeah!! first kill baby" then came the guilt :-( why didn't i talk? why didn't I offer help?  now I feel like scum and honestly don't want to kill pointlessly again, I feel like I fell into the paranoia of a relatively new player who's been KOS'd one too many times.

the shame i felt/feel may just turn me into a better player ( I hope)

Ahhh I remember my first non-self defense kill like it was yesterday, cuz it was lol. So me and my friend were planning to meet up in a city that were kind of far and of course on my way to that place i stopped at other places to gather supplies. I walk into a barn and find someone and we start talking. He seemed cool, but also looked like he had some nice stuff and I wanted it! I had a gun but no ammo so i acted like it was loaded for he wouldnt try to even kill me. I tole him I was meeting up with a friend in a town kinda far but he said he would join me anyway. We talk the whole way and iim steam chat im telling him I have this random guy with me and if u want to kill him, then we will do it. He responds "lets fuck him up". I just laugh and say alright. We finally reach our destination but my friend wasnt there yet so i stalled him by walking around the town and looting. Skippin ahead to when my friend finally arrives I just say "yo yo its us dont shoot" as he points his M4 at us. We talk a bit to make sure it was really all us then he shoots him down and we take all his stuff and i grab his un loaded M4. Okay well I didn't preform the murder but i helped. Lesson in all this, never trust anyone.