manicfury

What Do? "End-game"

So I am completely geared up to my liking. Plenty of food/water to last me days. SKS with Pristine PU Scope and about 100 rounds of ammo. Now that I have everything I want, I don't know what to really do. With all of this nice stuff, I worry about taking risks interacting with people so it gets boring. Thinking of making a suicide run into Elektro in full server and seeing what kind of trouble I can find. Maybe help someone out along the way.

What does everyone do once they get geared up? 

Shoot everything on sight.   Seems to be the biggest trend these dayZ

• Like 1

I usually go hang around Balota airfield/Cherno area hoping to catch some snipers off guard. Those pesky bastard love sitting on top of the apartment buildings.

I travel between neaf and nwaf. Trying to stalk people and make some friends. Also I always find stuff I can exchange with my current gear. Better weapon, better magazines. Lure for cases to have even more items to carry around. Change clothes to the style I want, which also changes occasionally. Atm I prefer the sheriff look. Go hunt some bandits. Whatever suits your needs. What I am even more worried about than losing my stuff is losing my char. My blood type is "0-".

Shoot everything on sight.   Seems to be the biggest trend these dayZ

I see what you did there. :)

A good firefight never loses it's appeal. I usually head down to Elektro and try to get the people who like to set up camp on the very very top of the hospital.

There's not much else to do other than PvP, unfortunately.

This'll, hopefully, change once more systems are added.

• Like 1

I really dislike PvPing. I try to be the hero in previous lives but always get gunned down as I am trying to greet another person. I think I'll head to Elektro and chill somewhere in the hills and wait for gunfire. Hopefully can track them down and take them out if I deem it a threat. 

Aye. One thing Origins had going for it was, it was kinda fun and risky to go harvest all the materials you needed to build a base. You didn't go out seeking PVP at this stage, you had to 'lay low' or risk losing everything you had spent days trying to harvest. Once someone found you trying to get rocks or build a base they would terrorise you until you gave up.

This is me hoping that base building , barricading, survival and vehicle maintenance will consume more of the players time.

When vehicles and possibly some kind of base building mechanics are added there will be something else to do than just going down to Elektro and starting a war. Really looking forward to that. 

I really dislike PvPing. I try to be the hero in previous lives but always get gunned down as I am trying to greet another person. I think I'll head to Elektro and chill somewhere in the hills and wait for gunfire. Hopefully can track them down and take them out if I deem it a threat. 

may the flying spaghetti monster be with you ;)

So I am completely geared up to my liking. Plenty of food/water to last me days. SKS with Pristine PU Scope and about 100 rounds of ammo. Now that I have everything I want, I don't know what to really do. With all of this nice stuff, I worry about taking risks interacting with people so it gets boring. Thinking of making a suicide run into Elektro in full server and seeing what kind of trouble I can find. Maybe help someone out along the way.

Go into a full pop server, head to elektro, say over direct comms loud and clear 'iv come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass....and im all out of gum' then play this whilst taking out all the bandits XD

• Like 2

With all of this nice stuff, I worry about taking risks interacting with people so it gets boring.

The answer is in your question. Go meet people, or go observe people, or go kill people. Plenty to do!

When vehicles and possibly some kind of base building mechanics are added there will be something else to do than just going down to Elektro and starting a war. Really looking forward to that. 

Aye. One thing Origins had going for it was, it was kinda fun and risky to go harvest all the materials you needed to build a base. You didn't go out seeking PVP at this stage, you had to 'lay low' or risk losing everything you had spent days trying to harvest. Once someone found you trying to get rocks or build a base they would terrorise you until you gave up.

This is me hoping that base building , barricading, survival and vehicle maintenance will consume more of the players time.

The way I see it, we're at the same (if not a little behind) state as the mod. Where we have very few consequences or alternatives to PvP.

Persistent storage will be a good first step, and should bring us up to snuff to the mod in several areas. One, as we're discussing here, it should give the players some sort of goal that's not directly concerned with PvP. Now, it could be indirectly concerned, meaning one could stash PvP gear. But, it's still another step. Second, is encouraging people to disperse across the map. Right now, even if one is consciously looking for PvP, the coast is pretty much the only place to go.

Couple that with threatening zombies and a balanced approach to loot, and I think there'll be much more to occupy oneself with other than mere deathmatching. Likewise, once we've got to deal with the environment more (i.e. rain, cold, etc.) there'll be more consequence to PvP. Never mind that alternative activities may be presented in the form of cooking, hunting, and foraging.

In the long-term, as you both mention, things like vehicles and construction will offer players some sort of activity to accomplish other than killing folks. That and once things like persistent farms, offensive animals, and full on weather is implemented, at the very least we'll be concerned with other things.

But, lest we forget, all of these actions/activities are only as distracting as they are worthwhile. I'm a little wary of cooking being a potential distraction, given that we can scarf down canned goods from any ol' supermarket. Which will be respawning once the loot system is addressed. So, I think there needs to be some tangible upsides to all of the above mechanics. In tandem with a heavy re-balancing of loot distribution.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

People should really stop using the term "end game" for a game that is still very far from finished...

There are plenty of things you can do, like test functions of the game in every possible way you can think of to try and find bugs/glitches. Or you could play another game, or even go outside...

Edited by ChekovP

People should really stop using the term "end game" for a game that is still very far from finished...

Well, whether or not the game is finished or not doesn't really detract (for me anyway) from the significance of an "end game."

What bothers me about the term, is that it assumes there's a fixed point at which one will have "won." I want activities, not actions, I want DayZ's so-called end game to be a constant effort rather than a "get X and be able to do Y" kind of situation. Even if I have a crazy kitted out M4, camo clothing, and decent gear, I should always have to manage significant hunger, maintain my gear, deal with the weather, zombies, etc. so that I'm always looking for more.

Edited by Katana67

There are plenty of things you can do, like test functions of the game in every possible way you can think of to try and find bugs/glitches. Or you could play another game, or even go outside...

B-but...there's people outside. They might take mah beans

Or in a game that doesn't have an actual "end game".  We don't level up, there is no big bad boss for us to down to collect our precious epicz.

Go into a full pop server, head to elektro, say over direct comms loud and clear 'iv come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass....and im all out of gum' then play this whilst taking out all the bandits XD

:)  One of the greatest films ever made imo. John carpenter knows the "score" for sure.  B)

• Like 2

I don't think that the term "end game" is related to the current state of the game. Isn't an end game more when you talk about the ultimate goal of a game? As in "defeat the boss" or the ultimate monster to reach the end of the game?

I don't believe that DayZ is ever gonna have an "end game" in the latter sense. It "ends" when you die and have to start over.

Or did I misunderstand the context in which this term was used?

Katana beat me to it ^^

Edited by Demonica

COLLECT ALL THE BOOKS.

Edited by Geckofrog7

Hmmm... 100 Books... 35 slot backpack... Good luck with that. I'm actually planning on doing that once persistent storage is up and running :-)