billw

Vehicle spawn mechanics.

Does anyone know how this works exactly? Are new vehicles (ones that have yet to be found by a player) spawned from the time the server is started just waiting to be found or are they only spawned when a player enters their area?

The reason I ask is because whenever I have gone searching for vehicles I have only ever found them when I was on foot, never when in another vehicle, making me think that (like zombies and loot) they only spawn when you enter a new area on foot.

Vehicles are placed at server start.

There is one exception. New bicycles spawn as you get near them. Evidence:

My friends and I have found multiple vehicles driving through empty towns in a vehicle.

My friends and I have found multiple vehicles driving through empty towns in a vehicle.

Thanks for reply. Cars in empty towns still could have been spawned by other players passing by since the server started.

Seems strange that bicycles should be the only vehicle that has different spawn behavior.

Anyone have any evidence one way or the other for vehicles other than bicycles? Or someone who has seen the server side code can confirm one way or the other?

So there are vehicles that spawn new? or are there only the ones you have to repair?