TRUCKER (DayZ)

Radio Devices? | "Word spreads of bandits in xxx"

How about a radio device tool drop that gives you the option to radio on a special frequency with someone to cooperate better without third party programs.

Also, how about having a frequency for information.

I had the following in mind:

Bandits camp the hospital and kill everyone.

Why not give players the option to select the radio --> Warn people about bandits at My location and then everyone on the frequency of the player that wants to warn people gets a message saying

Word is, there are bandits at xxx (just the city name, not exact positions).

You'd think that survivors would try to help other people from getting killed by zombies.

So to sum it up:

[ADD] Radio

[ADD] Warn People about bandits using radio

[ADD] Frequency selection

[ADD] Radio voice chat

Any ideas on this?

Well, I guess.

Limiting the range is a good idea, maybe you could have 200m ones, 500m ones and 3km ones.

The greater the range, the rarer it is.

I like the idea of using the radios as in game long distance voice. (at what ever range) allowing you to change the frequency, but not so much the bandit warning. As this will just be spammed, constantly. Becoming more an annoyance than a help.

What about an automated version then.

If bandits kill 5 players in the same city, or if 5 players get killed by other players in the same city in a period of..lets say 30 minutes, a circle around the city should appear saying "Bandits here"

What about that?

If bandits kill 5 players in the same city' date=' or if 5 players get killed by other players in the same city in a period of..lets say 30 minutes, a circle around the city should appear saying "Bandits here"

What about that?

[/quote']

Again, i really like the idea, just not 100% sure how it could be implemented. An automated system, if plausible would be great. Perhaps you'd need the radio + the map for the feature to work etc. But taking the reporting out of the players hands, would make it much more appealing, to me at least.

I'd love to see voice implemented over long distance using a handheld radio that takes up the secondary slot. I'd also love it if other players could hear you using the radio if they are within direct communication range and don't have a radio. So you could make plans over radio and then some noob with an axe hears you and like decides to get there first/set an ambush/get the loot/vehicle.

I love the idea of a radio to communicate with other players and/or teammates =]

Not so keen on automated bandit warning though; it's unrealistic

I love the idea of a radio to communicate with other players and/or teammates =]

Not so keen on automated bandit warning though; it's unrealistic

So is logging off. or putting in a vehicle engine with nothing but your hands. But things have to be twisted in a game, to make them work.

If you allow a player to spam bandit activity, that is what you will get. spam. The feature itself, is very nice. and in an ideal world it would be implemented the way of the original post. But for the sake of every poor person that stumbles across a radio it's not viable.

Now, if you could mute certain people from the radio like you can with global chat. THEN you are talking! begone with the automated updates, hello player interaction!

If bandits kill 5 players in the same city' date=' or if 5 players get killed by other players in the same city in a period of..lets say 30 minutes, a circle around the city should appear saying "Bandits here"

What about that?

[/quote']

No. Just no.

And how would a circle appear on a radio?

Maybe instead of a circle it just says it and if you have a map you can just mark it.

What about that?

[/quote']

1. My first idéa from OP's suggestion was: "If i'm a bandit... I would use this device as a tool for banditry.. This is no more usefull than public chatt.."

2. My quoted post: 5players in 30minutes?!?! O_o I kill 5 players a WEEK! (Granted i stay out of Cherno and Elektro..)

Radios should be a lootable item, as well as radio broadcasters. That way if you discover a radio you are able to hear broadcasters for x amount of meters/kilometers, and people with broadcasters will be able to broadcast whatever it is they may choose to do.

Radios/radio broadcasters should have multiple frequencies that you can fine tune, so that if there is someone on a certain frequency simply spamming you can change to another channel. Rocket and the development team could go so far as to allow for custom-frequency channels (from a frequency range of 0.0-100.0) so that teams could all tune in to a single frequency (i.e. 45.6) and then it would be much more difficult for bandits or spammers to lock in on their frequency.

This would add a tactical side to the use of radios, as only broadcasters could send information and would require the player to be stationary -- sort of like a commander overlooking a town while his squadmates go into the town to loot, so that information could be divulged to the team as they go. Bandits could use radios to detect other people and get the jump on them, giving an advantage to smart bandits.

This could definitely work, though some of it would defy a small bit of realism and it would require some heavy work to be implemented.

I can just imagine myself getting a radio broadcaster and sitting outside of a town: "Good morning Chernaruuuuuussssss!"

I can just imagine myself getting a radio broadcaster and sitting outside of a town: "Good morning Chernaruuuuuussssss!"

You sir, are the reason i hope this very elaborate idea gets implemented. I'd about wet-myself laughing, after the fear of WTF WAS THAT!! passed over me, crouched in a cafe.

To the bandit that would use it for banditry, that was my initial thought too - if a player can spam bandits here, here, and here. You can effectively funnel survivors to "safe" locations to farm.

5 deaths in 30minutes from the OP's comment wasnt 1 bandit killing 5 people, i think they actually meant 5 deaths within a set radius of town would flag the bandits here thing.

However, if you add the ability to switch channels and/or block certain users (when they get spam happy) i can see it working.

I really support the radio chat system idea, I'd love to have it like that you could talk to a radio via your microphone and everyone who has radio on / is on same frequency / is within the range can hear me talking, just like ingame microphone voice chat, but only with a long range.

The possibilities, taxi service, ambulance help, radio broadcast, news, oh the amount of role play one could do with it. It would be awesome, "tune in to our frequency for the news of Chernarus, where the sun never shines." "This is Kalles taxi service, where will I come pick you up?" oh my.

I love what you guys make of a simple idea like implementing a radio, this is why this forum works! People contribute their ideas.

I think we are getting somewhere here.

Guys guys guys, this is already in the works, has been for a long time. Check out ACRE mod, that is pretty much what you are talking about, covers everything suggested + more. The mod was then adopted by BIS because of its quality, and is being implemented in VBS. I'm sure Rocket is already testing server stability with a basic version of it for the mod. My realism unit has had server stability issues with the system, even with 25 guys using it, so it will need a lot of work.