People are abusing by server hopping.

So let's allow us to abuse by knowing when those hoppers are coming so we can kill them.

Sorry but nope.

this is unfair to the people who dont server hop. giving our locaton away and punishing us. no no no no no no

i dont agree with any of the above points. why should someone be rewarded for spawning behind someone? people dont do that in real life. appearing out of nowhere to have an advantage over someone or a situation is ridiculous.

if youre worried about stealth you probably shouldnt be logging off near where other players are likely to be.

people arriving suddenly in area would be noticed. at the moment there is no way to know if people spawn behind you.

people dont do that in real life.

I think this is the vital issue here, and why I agree with OP. There will always be boundaries to immersion in a game like this, and at the moment some people are exploiting those boundaries for an unfair advantage in the game.

The notion of hearing the sound of birds flying away when someone suddenly spawns into the game is a rather elegant solution, i think. Particularly if the sound is intentionally made to be at least partly omnidirectional, it will alert the affected player(s) of a new and unavoidable variable in their gameplay. Making it audible also allows for less attentive players to miss it, meaning that it would not be noticed as much as an on-screen alert.

To balance this effect, there should be a similar alert for the players spawning in. Something similarly audible, yet unobtrusive and within the environment of the game. This would not affect people attempting to abuse the mechanics of the game for an advantage, but would level out the heads-up given to the player already in-game.

I like the idea, but I think it needs to be a little more robust so that players who are legitimately spawning in at the beginning of a session and not just server hopping don't get killed while they are still loading. First, it needs to be set up so that only after the loading player is actually in control of their character do other players around them get notified. Also, it may make sense to have some sort of subtle indicator for the person loading in that there is someone nearby, that way other players near the player loading in don't have the unfair advantage of knowing the loading player is in the area without the loading player being given the same information.

Fully agree with this.

To the people claiming it would, for some reason, be abused.

How about actually finding a proper logoutspot away from people and not just your favorite barracks/atc tower/firestation?

I agree with OP, because those people who are legitimately playing shouldn't log off in high traffic areas; you can't just disappear (log off) in real life, so why shouldn't there be at least a subtle warning?

It sounds good in theory, but like others have said it is unfair. The best thing you can do is be constantly cautious of your surroundings, if you get engaged in a firefight make sure you know exactly where the shooter is at all times. Be aware of him popping out from behind you.

Be AWARE.

As someone before me stated, i agree, bird sounds does seem to be a nice, unobstructive, subtle and elegant way to achieve the goal.

No - to notion of only after the player is able to move.

I actually believe that you creeping up on someone should have a 5% chance of 'setting off birds'. You have that sound right now absolutely random in the forests, but in reality you could potentially narrow down someone's position by watching where the birds are taking off from ;)

It sounds good in theory' date=' but like others have said it is unfair. The best thing you can do is be constantly cautious of your surroundings, if you get engaged in a firefight make sure you know exactly where the shooter is at all times. Be aware of him popping out from behind you.

Be AWARE.

[/quote']

Indeed you have to be aware when in a firefight with someone, but having them pop out at you from a position they physically could not have moved to without taking advantage of server-hopping negates any diligence that you could have taken in watching your back, I think.

That ability to jump between locations without traceable movement takes away any care or strategy that one party used in order to engage another in a way that gave them an advantage. I believe that the game should reward people who spent time and effort to outmaneuver their target to place them at a disadvantage, rather than allowing people to leave any situation in which they feel threatened, only to return from an otherwise impossible location in order to kill the person who had caught them with their pants down.

As I had said before, I think that the sound should be somewhat or totally omni-directional, so that the player already in the game is alerted that someone has spawned near them, but not given which direction from their location that the spawn has occurred. If they were currently involved in a confrontation with a player that had server-hopped, they would be put on guard against possible attempts at exploiting the game and deal with them themselves, instead of having the game heavy-handedly force behavior such as wait times in between joining servers on players.

Also as I have said before, this potential game mechanic would be advantageous to players who had someone spawn near them within the normal framework of spawn mechanics in this game. I propose that if the player in-server gets an alert, then the spawning player does as well. While not giving any advantage to server-hoppers who would already know that their intended prey is nearby, it would allow innocent players to get out of an area in which other players are nearby, unless they would like to encounter those players through violent or non-violent means.

It sounds good in theory' date=' but like others have said it is unfair. The best thing you can do is be constantly cautious of your surroundings, if you get engaged in a firefight make sure you know exactly where the shooter is at all times. Be aware of him popping out from behind you.

Be AWARE.

[/quote']

Indeed you have to be aware when in a firefight with someone, but having them pop out at you from a position they physically could not have moved to without taking advantage of server-hopping negates any diligence that you could have taken in watching your back, I think.

That ability to jump between locations without traceable movement takes away any care or strategy that one party used in order to engage another in a way that gave them an advantage. I believe that the game should reward people who spent time and effort to outmaneuver their target to place them at a disadvantage, rather than allowing people to leave any situation in which they feel threatened, only to return from an otherwise impossible location in order to kill the person who had caught them with their pants down.

As I had said before, I think that the sound should be somewhat or totally omni-directional, so that the player already in the game is alerted that someone has spawned near them, but not given which direction from their location that the spawn has occurred. If they were currently involved in a confrontation with a player that had server-hopped, they would be put on guard against possible attempts at exploiting the game and deal with them themselves, instead of having the game heavy-handedly force behavior such as wait times in between joining servers on players.

Also as I have said before, this potential game mechanic would be advantageous to players who had someone spawn near them within the normal framework of spawn mechanics in this game. I propose that if the player in-server gets an alert, then the spawning player does as well. While not giving any advantage to server-hoppers who would already know that their intended prey is nearby, it would allow innocent players to get out of an area in which other players are nearby, unless they would like to encounter those players through violent or non-violent means.

i totally agree with you here. you've summed it up very well.