Sign in to follow this  
hotcakes

You want anti-KoS? Add safes.

1. Add stashes/safes to the game when there's more high-end stuff

2. The safes will be hidden underground and you'll use a shovel to dig for it

3. Player-owned safes cannot be broken into or guessed without the safe combination

4. Players cannot steal safe combinations from bodies

5. The only way to get the safe location/combo from another player is if they use an interface to "give safe location/combo"

6. Safe combos are invalidated if the guy that owns it dies before you get to the safe

???

People will shoot each other less because there's an incentive to steal more valuable things!

Edited by hotcakes
  • Like 1

Jesus the ability to dig would be amazing. 

I really love this idea though. I guess players would have to craft them from scrap or something? 

1. Add staches

I AGREE!

mustache_options.jpg

• Like 14

Aren't they making backpacks & other objects like boxes/crates and things persistent sometime in the next few patches.

Honestly I'm not a fan of hoarding loot, if I can't carry it on my person then I really don't need it and nothing should ever be "safe" in DayZ.

Persistent storage is all that's needed. I'm not a fan of making anything completely safe, but being able to hide it somewhere would be really game changing. Base building / tents goes hand in hand here as well. It will give a person a reason to look everywhere - for a nice stash, and a good place to hide your own.

Edited by makomachine
  • Like 2

1. People will shoot each other less because there's an incentive to steal more valuable things!

It's a nice idea but I can't really see how this would decrease KoS. I mean, people don't KoS for gear, they do it cuz they are bored, like the rush, want to get into a firefight etc. Fist-swinging bambis who KoS are maybe an exception but they can't really KoS effectively anyway, and arguably would still try to do it whether we had safes or not.

Anyway, I do think tents / safes and other permanent storage units would be a great addition to the game, but I'd like players to be able to loot them, if they just could find them first. There has been quite a lot of talk about this already so won't go into too much detail here :)

• Like 2

1) Pick up locked safe (or get a bunch of your buddies to help you out)

2) Bring safe to a gas station

3) Blow up gas station and open safe

Flawless.

• Like 3

1. Add stashes/safes to the game when there's more high-end stuff

2. The safes will be hidden underground and you'll use a shovel to dig for it

3. Player-owned safes cannot be broken into or guessed without the safe combination

4. Players cannot steal safe combinations from bodies

5. The only way to get the safe location/combo from another player is if they use an interface to "give safe location/combo"

6. Safe combos are invalidated if the guy that owns it dies before you get to the safe

???

People will shoot each other less because there's an incentive to steal more valuable things!

Or, you know. They will get the combo, than kill you.

Or, you know. They will get the combo, than kill you.

>6. Safe combos are invalidated if the guy that owns it dies before you get to the safe

>6. Safe combos are invalidated if the guy that owns it dies before you get to the safe

Because that makes sense

• Like 7

Because that makes sense

Bodies despawning in 10 minutes makes sense too, but you know.

Persistent storage promotes kos no matter how you do it. If you can run back to camp and grab another pack with a rifle you have nothing to lose. What do you do when you have nothing to lose? Kill guys who do.

• Like 1

The safe idea is fine, but the combination should be able to be guessed. The safes shouldn't be like Epoch either where they are impossible to break into. The safes should be able to be broken into by axes, guns, explosions etc. The quality of the safe should affect how easy it is able to be broken into. Also the safes shouldn't have to underground and should be able to be in houses, the middle of nowhere, etc.

Edited by Jasonperson

Or you could make it so that only the owner of the safe can open it. So if you find the owner you will have to catch him, hold him up, handcuff him, get him to lead you to the safe and then get him to open it on the condition that you let him go afterwards, that would be cool.

Of course they don't have to let you go but they probably would.

If you are walking in the woods and find a safe then you could choose to watch it if you had the time. Wait until the owner comes back and then jump him. It would be interesting to say the least!

Meh I'd much rather not have anything that is artificially safe from other players. If you have a safe hidden in the woods or something someone should be able to enter the combo if they have it or if they guess it.

I think combination locks, if implemented, should be breakable by the player. However, in the act of breaking it (whether through potential improvised explosives, shotgun slug, or appropriate bolt-cutters) it should give a chance of damaging whatever's inside.

Having combination locks was pretty annoying in one of the mods for DayZ mod (Overwatch, IIRC). It's not that I disagree with the concept, but how it was implemented. The locks could never be destroyed, they were ONLY able to be used if one had the combination.

That and the lock (or locking mechanism) should be suitably rare.

Edited by Katana67

Why would safes be anti KOS? Safe does not belong in dayz, as a noun, or adjective.

I'm very much looking forward to persistent backpacks, because how safe your stash is will be dependent on how well you hide it, not an arbitrary "It's safe because it is". Not only that, it's impossible to put a rifle into a backpack at the moment, so it's not like people will get fully geared off their backpacks, you'll be able to store a fireaxe, pistol and everything else, but you won't have the kicker. Which is cool.  

I think they should have like a 3 number combination, it's not really hard to figure out a 3 number password, give it like half hour if you got quick hands, because I think a safe should be hard to make but also hard to break into, just so it's worth it, I would want to waste a lot of my time to have someone come and shoot the lock and get my things, so it should be REALLY hard to make, like it would be a definite end game item along with like a chopper, but I don't really think  that after dying the combination should be invalid, you might argue that having bodies dissappear after 10 minutes isn't realistic, but that's just because of performance, and also so people don't just run back to their bodies.