yorkie065

The Fear When The Rain Comes

This is something that I am both looking forward to but also fearing. Obviously rain is in the game, and clothing can become wet. Thats there already. We know theres going to be side affects of having wet clothes and we can all name a few I'm sure, but we don't really know the real specifics of them. This is something that I am actually looking forward to, and it would add a bit more depth to the game as when I first started playing DayZ mod, I used to sit and hide in buildings or trees and wait for it to pass in fear of getting cold and my character catching the flu. It made for some tense experiences with zombies (this was back in the first days of playing the mod so had no idea how to deal with them properly without shooting them with my makarov and 3 mags) and also interesting to watch other players in the distance brave out the rain and run through it.

But my fear is this; people changing servers when it does rain. It kind of happens already a little when it does rain and visibility drops, people go to a server with clearer weather, and it's even more apparent when the server goes from day to night. Most of the players leave to find a day time server. It sucks as it breaks the immersion slightly, as people aren't experiencing the full game and it's potential, or tackling the different challenges the weather conditions offer. Obviously I'm going to keep playing in the rain, and deal with the affects of it and my actions. But I know about 80% of the player base will just change server. I basically don't want it to become a wasted feature and core mechanic of the game. Whats your thoughts?

Maybe they could make rain hive-wide... But only if they reduced the intervals at which it rains. I once saw rain restart after about 2 minutes of clear weather... Ridiculous.

Yeah I've seen some days when it seems to rain 90% of the time from server restart to the next. I know it can rain for days in real life but, I doubt most people are going to want to hope on a server to sit around for hours doing nothing.

there is another thread on this I believe it's called "RAIN!" 

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/181242-rain/

Rain, Nature is pissing on you. 

I feel it's pretty weak to bail from a server because of a bit of rain and honestly the people who are doing that are probably not going to be with us till the finished product.  They might come back then for the Deathmatch with Zombies mods it saddens me a little, but I'm not crying, it's just been raining on my face.

Edited by Window Licker

I've never heard of people leaving servers because of rain, and comparing rain to night isn't accurate at all really, night affects game play way more then rain ever will.

I call switching servers when it is dark "sleeping" and when it is raining "napping".

Also in real life I use an

Hopping because of rain is ridiculous... I cannot imagine that many do this... Nighttime hopping I do understand, I do it myself especially because the cycle is 1:1 which I think is too much.. Especially when it is pitch black! And knowing that you won't be able to do much within the next 12-16 hours. If the cycle was 2-4 hours I would stay through the nights.

Edited by Pandusen

Maybe they could make rain hive-wide... But only if they reduced the intervals at which it rains. 

This is one of the few options that I can think of, but then again I'm sure we'll get a fair few people complaining about it, similar to all the threads of people complaining about the majority of servers being at night. 

As for people switching server due to the rain, it doesn't really happen now as theres very few affects. However when they all start to come in and your character is much more likely to become ill and gear getting ruined much easier when it does rain, I can see a lot of people server hopping to avoid it. I'm hoping that I'm wrong and people will just play through it, but I have a feeling that a lot won't, especially the deathmatchers. 

Clock hoppers.......I've heard of them.......they don't seem to like the nights much but rain hoppers........that's a new one on me.