Sign in to follow this  
huptut

Weapon Degradation

I think this is a must have addition. Making it so that eventually your weapon would slowly degrade over use (long range accuracy issues, weapon jamming etc.) and eventually leading to it breaking.

So you'd have to find parts to fix it or find a replacement weapon i think it would add another level of realism and help to make the end game not so.... hey i'm fully kitted now what?

I'm kind of torn on this, because although I like the idea of weapons degrading, I also don't want to think about that on top of everything else I already have to think of to survive, as well as worrying about whether or not the guy I just shot has a half-broken gun.

Not going to offer support yet, but I might as the discussion on this idea develops.

Hmm not sure if I like it. Military-grade weapons are very tough, especially things like the AK. They are designed to be put through hell, games that have them degrade as quickly as STALKER are pretty unrealistic.

No, you are going to make the game more unrealistic in trying to make it realistic in regards to your limited knowledge.

Most AR's & AK's can easily last 5,000 rounds without the most minor things getting weak. You might need to replace the extrator at 10,000 rounds, but the barrels can easily last 30,000 rounds and stay accurrate. Now precision sniper rifles have barrels that will only keep their accuracy for a more limit number of rounds depending on caliber. But even .308 sniper rifles can have barrel lives of around 10,000 rounds.

Hmm not sure if I like it. Military-grade weapons are very tough' date=' especially things like the AK. They are designed to be put through hell, games that have them degrade as quickly as STALKER are pretty unrealistic.

[/quote']

what if military weapons would degrade slower than your average low tier weapon you find ala dbl barrel winchester. Maybe even add a gun cleaning kit to help slow degradation as well.

If someone fired 5000 rounds with any military weapon, I would be amazed.

You dont really have a DB or winchester long enough to wear it out. This would not be worth the effort.

No' date=' you are going to make the game more unrealistic in trying to make it realistic in regards to your limited knowledge.

Most AR's & AK's can easily last 5,000 rounds without the most minor things getting weak. You might need to replace the extrator at 10,000 rounds, but the barrels can easily last 30,000 rounds and stay accurrate. Now precision sniper rifles have barrels that will only keep their accuracy for a more limit number of rounds depending on caliber. But even .308 sniper rifles can have barrel lives of around 10,000 rounds.

[/quote']

my knowledge is far from limited on this subject yeah okay fire 5000 rounds through a gun without cleaning it it causes build up making shells not eject proper and with gas powered military weapons it would stop cycling rounds into the chamber. Not to mention the corrosive residue left behind by those rounds if left uncleaned would rust out your gun.

le link

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=176465