This is the percentage of murders committed in the mod since stat tracking has been implemented. Thats only 6.2 murders for every 100 deaths.

Yet in post after post people are screaming from the rooftops that bandits are ruining the game, that they need to be penalized, nerfed, hell in one thread someone actually suggested that bandits should be kicked and banned from the game. It's getting quite ridiculous. With all the noise people are making around here you would think that bandits are responsible for 90% of the player deaths.

6.2% murders (and it really makes you wonder how many of those 6.2% were actually committed by survivors doesn't it?)

Here is what Rocket had to say recently when asked about the subject in an interview:

GameArena: - What do you think still needs to be done to it? Just sort of moving it to the different level, or do you think there's actual gameplay stuff that needs to be done?

Dean Hall: we need to support the people who want to be bandit raiders and get a bandit party and go around and kill people. But we also need to support if people want to get a group of thirty of them together and build some sort of commune in some farmhouse somewhere. So supporting that sort of meta-gaming, that user type stuff, I think that's really important and will help with people who are leveling criticism at the pvp style of the game. At the moment the payback is to go kill players.

GameArena - Don't listen to the haters - I personally think it's great the way it is - I've got maybe over a hundred hours into it and everytime I die to some random sniper I'm like 'well done'... maybe I should be climbing ladders in Cherno.

Dean Hall - Yeah, I don't think it's that much of a problem - if you look at the numbers, it's not really a problem. The problem is obviously a few people had some bad experiences maybe they were unlucky and they had them in the long string and then they post on the forums.

6.2% sure seems reasonable to me.....so what exactly is all this noise about anyway?

That sounds about right, though I'd be in favor of resetting the stats at zero and seeing if those numbers hold. That way any concerns over the mass killings From the hackers a while back and whatnot can be accounted for. Either that or something like taking samples from select date ranges to see if those kill ratios are trending up, down, or holding steady.

What is the source of this information?

According to the numbers from the front page of the site, it's more like 20% of player deaths are the result of players killing other players.

Let's also not forget that the majority of players that die are too busy respawn spamming. The other 94% is easily respawn spams.

"Dean Hall: we need to support the people who want to be bandit raiders and get a bandit party and go around and kill people."

No rocket, you don't. They are QUITE capable of screwing over this mod on their own. No support needed.

This is the percentage of murders committed in the mod since stat tracking has been implemented. Thats only 6.2 murders for every 100 deaths.

Yet in post after post people are screaming from the rooftops that bandits are ruining the game' date=' that they need to be penalized, nerfed, hell in one thread someone actually suggested that bandits should be kicked and banned from the game. It's getting quite ridiculous. With all the noise people are making around here you would think that bandits are responsible for 90% of the player deaths.

6.2% murders (and it really makes you wonder how many of those 6.2% were actually committed by survivors doesn't it?)

Here is what Rocket had to say recently when asked about the subject in an interview:

GameArena: - What do you think still needs to be done to it? Just sort of moving it to the different level, or do you think there's actual gameplay stuff that needs to be done?

Dean Hall: we need to support the people who want to be bandit raiders and get a bandit party and go around and kill people. But we also need to support if people want to get a group of thirty of them together and build some sort of commune in some farmhouse somewhere. So supporting that sort of meta-gaming, that user type stuff, I think that's really important and will help with people who are leveling criticism at the pvp style of the game. At the moment the payback is to go kill players.

GameArena - Don't listen to the haters - I personally think it's great the way it is - I've got maybe over a hundred hours into it and everytime I die to some random sniper I'm like 'well done'... maybe I should be climbing ladders in Cherno.

Dean Hall - Yeah, I don't think it's that much of a problem - if you look at the numbers, it's not really a problem. The problem is obviously a few people had some bad experiences maybe they were unlucky and they had them in the long string and then they post on the forums.

6.2% sure seems reasonable to me.....so what exactly is all this noise about anyway?

Putting that quote in my signature, so tired of people acting like bandits make up 95% of the mod. I myself am a bandit, and out of the tons of people i've killed recently only 2-3 were bandits.

According to the numbers from the front page of the site' date=' it's more like 20% of player deaths are the result of players killing other players.

[/quote']

heh, not sure what I did there but you are absolutely right. its actually closer to 16 percent. I still stand by my argument though...

I'm playing DayZ for about 1 month and I died from zombies only in 1st few days. All other deaths was from bandits, cruel doors, stairs and rocks.

You know what the real problem here is? Some guy runs into a building and scares the hell out of some other guy. And the other guy shoots him. Neither guy was a bandit, but the dead guy is likely to rage on the forums about how a bandit ruined his day.

This is how it goes down much of the time...

Even at 16% it's still safer than most places in Africa and South America.

I think at this point, with the lack of being able to identify if someone is friendly or not, and even then, not knowing if they still might kill you after pretending to be friendly, most of us have already become bandits to a certain point.

I play with a group of friends, we do not kill each other of course, and we do not get in game to just try and hunt people down, so we are not bandits in that sense. But, with no way of knowing or being able to trust another player when you come across them, it has made us all more likely to shoot first, or attempt to avoid the contact altogether.

I'm fine with it. I don't really understand why people want to waste sniper bullets on guys who don't have anything. I started near the lighthouse next to Elektro and went to the firestation on the outskirts of the town and got insta-sniped. But hey, I deserved it, it was a firestation. I just don't understand why people do it >.> I had nothing. This game isn't just about zombies, it's about adapting to the behavior of other players as well and doing what must be done to survive. Of course, there are game mechanics like broken limbs that, as of right now, force you to go into stupid situations just to prevent a respawn (being forced to go to bandit infested hospitals to get morphine so that you won't have to respawn if you happen to walk through a bush the wrong way). Personally, I would never even look at Cherno or Elektro if it wasn't for morphine, but hey that's another argument.

No complaints here about bandits. I may think some of them are retarded for killing the people they do, but a lot of their kills are legitimate and it is a legitimate game tactic. Trolling noobs is another story, but good honest banditry (lol) is actually pretty impressive.

I'm not sure how these stats disprove anything. If *only* 16% of fatalities in your nation were drug-related would that mean there's no problem with drugs?

Bandits in the true sense don't bother me. Its more the nature of the community that shoots on sight that does.

Sorry but those numbers aren't worth paying attention to imo. This is because so many people kill themselves repeatedly over and over again until they get the spawn location they want. You see it all the time, and this will throw those percentages way off.

But even so I dont see how it really matters. Personally I prefer to play cooperatively, so I am not a bandit and only kill someone if they are shooting at me or are threatening in some other fashion (i.e. following me with a gun pointed at me but not yet firing). However, this does not mean that pvp should be curbed. It is a very important part of the game.

I do, however, feel that cooperative play should be encouraged also. Even if this is only enabling a grouping function. Now you can decide to group up, and use group chat with your team. Doesnt stop pvp, doesnt stop the people in that team from turning on you, but it does let you have a sense of cooperative play if you want to.

In other words, even in the most close-knit groups, there'll always be that guy who pulls a Shane ;)

Only on this forum could you present facts and people put their fingers in their ears and yell loudly till you go away.

63.5m zombies killed, and we continually hear that zombies pose no threat and are ignored

15% of the population are bandits, that's straight from the leaderboards, yet people act like 1:2 players are bandits

According to the numbers from the front page of the site' date=' it's more like 20% of player deaths are the result of players killing other players.

[/quote']

heh, not sure what I did there but you are absolutely right. its actually closer to 16 percent. I still stand by my argument though...

Deaths by PK=Murders+Bandits Kills=978,495+219,083=1,197,578

Total Deaths=Survival Attempts-Alive Characters=6,083,675-248,436=5,835,239

1,197,578/5,835,239=20.5%

Of course, you'd also need to exclude the suicides (as previously mentioned). And deaths by glitch. Surely we shouldn't count all of those in the 5,835,239.

Oh and there are probably a ton of people who get shot, disconnect, and then bleed out on another server. And people who are mortally wounded but happen to get put down for good by a zombie. And then there's the deaths by explosive. I reckon we should probably count some of those as PKs

Well, I think we are all in agreement here that is just whiners going on about the whole "ZOMG EVERYONES A BANDIT"!! When in reality it is just plain bad luck, or stupid decisions made by that player!

Been playing for about a week now, and have died to bandits 4 times, 3 of which were in major cities like cherno. Now I will say this has made me paranoid to a degree, butit has NEVER made me rage when they've killed me, as I'm really just not that bothered cause its gonna happen at some point in the game.

Now broken bones from trying to crawl through doorways.. THATS something that needs a nerf/fix/smacking with the code hammer!

[/quote']

Deaths by PK=Murders+Bandits Kills=978,495+219,083=1,197,578

Total Deaths=Survival Attempts-Alive Characters=6,083,675-248,436=5,835,239

1,197,578/5,835,239=20.5%

Of course, you'd also need to exclude the suicides (as previously mentioned). And deaths by glitch. Surely we shouldn't count all of those in the 5,835,239.

Oh and there are probably a ton of people who get shot, disconnect, and then bleed out on another server. And people who are mortally wounded but happen to get put down for good by a zombie. And then there's the deaths by explosive. I reckon we should probably count some of those as PKs

This, honestly I'd be surprised if it's under 30% if somehow we were magically able to account for all those things.

however, I feel another large part of the problem though is people are just plain dumb. Like earlier I was in a low population server, there was about 10 of us (it was night) and I was wandering around looting elektro. I'm leaving the train station building when this other survivor comes running up to it, flashlight on and then scans the area. He eventually notices me with the flashlight. He then just sits there for like 10 seconds not moving, with his flashlight just pointed at me. I almost shot him just because he was lighting me up.

If he ran into just about anybody else but me he no doubt would have been dead then.

I wish stupidity like this was uncommon but this isn't necessarily an isolated incident.

I haven't died to a zombie in a few weeks now. All my deaths are murders. I guess some haven't figured out zombies yet. Once they do, the amount of people still dying to them will drop fast.

What is the point of not shooting someone with a weapon anyway? You are just putting yourself in danger if you don't kill him. Also, most people outside the coast are loot pinatas. If you can kill a player, do it.

I'm just going to go ahead and say that if less than 70% of your deaths are from players you are not very good at this game.

And I feel like I'm being generous with that percentage.