Sinphaltimus

Try not to freak out

There is a major game breaking bug where player's bodies are getting caught inside of buildings, while still being able to move around on their screen, giving them an 'out of body experience' or making them seem invisible to other players. It's not fun.What happens is your friend, or you, will get their character caught inside a building. You will see the character stuck in the room, seemingly running on the spot or stuck in against the wall. Meanwhile, that same player's screen could show that he somewhere totally different.

These stuck characters can take damage, and can remain stuck until you leave town, or log out. There is also a chance that when your character logs back in, the geometry will kill the character, or they will end up somewhere without their loot. It has happened to me a few times. When that's happening to all players in a group, it's a nightmare and absolutely unplayable.

I, for one, am glad it hasn't been pushed to stable, or there would be a lot of tears. Probably from the same guys complaining that the patch isn't out yet. Except it would be about the invisible bug, and how it wasn't squashed, and they are so bad at their jobs. The dev's can't win against seemingly uninformed people who think this forum is the omnipotent source for up-to-date DayZ news.

On a side note; I am very weary of Star Citizen, their huge staff numbers, and big money. Too many departments across the world and one hand starts not knowing what the other hand is doing. It only spelled disaster for Davy Jones and the original version APB. I can see something similar happening to Star Citizen, if it's not already.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Rick, but the lead Dev on Star Citizen is no legend, nor is he the be-all-end-all of gaming development. You sound almost like Sergey trying to sell WarZ. It's pathetic.

What are you talking about?     Chris Roberts actually finished, not just started, but finished..... a few famous PC games that I guess you are not aware of.   Chris Roberts is also well known for producing and directing a few films.  Compared to Dean, Chris is a legend.   And again, before Dean came up with the great concept that is DayZ, I'm sure Chris never heard of him before.  I can't believe I have to explain this to you.   Amazing.   And to anyone who is trying to say Star Citizen is making a mistake by finding 218 people to work on the same project.   Perhaps you are thinking of the theory of Diminishing Returns.   Which sometimes does happen.   The idea is you reach a certain limit of how many people you put to work where you start producing less instead of more.   But this can be avoided by good organization and management.   DayZ is a huge fucking concept that uses a large map that needs a lot of work on the core.   DayZ is wildly popular on 3 fucking continents.  It could use more resources, not 30 people.  Were the pyramids built with a small team in order to avoid Diminishing Returns you guys are so scared about?   Was Taj Mahal built with a small team because the Mughals were afraid of diminishing returns?   Why the hell are DayZ fans so scared of diminishing returns?  

Did you really just say this? You must lead a very simple life or be very fortunate.

I currently have three projects going for work because two of them are in development cycles. I have to plan next week based on juggling those three projects because two of them might be delayed because of testing failures. It happens.

As I've said before, the dev team shoots themselves in the foot being so open to the community.

There are no "promises". "You promised!!!" Should go away with puberty at the latest.

you my friend are an Idiot and everything you just said is the problem with so many other gaming companies. I appreciate the openness of this team and you wont see everyone complaining and for the most part if they were to say that they are having issues I am sure most complaints would be squashed However some people don't know where to find the answers they are looking for. As for your "projects" Who gives a Rip? People want to be informed when you keep them in the dark they get Angry Like much of the Defiance community is with Trion worlds, a classic example of a horrible gaming studio screwing their fan base over and keeping them in the dark about new content and never delivering on what they really need to deliver on I.E. New map areas.

you my friend are an Idiot and everything you just said is the problem with so many other gaming companies. I appreciate the openness of this team and you wont see everyone complaining and for the most part if they were to say that they are having issues I am sure most complaints would be squashed However some people don't know where to find the answers they are looking for. As for your "projects" Who gives a Rip? People want to be informed when you keep them in the dark they get Angry Like much of the Defiance community is with Trion worlds, a classic example of a horrible gaming studio screwing their fan base over and keeping them in the dark about new content and never delivering on what they really need to deliver on I.E. New map areas.

no, people like you are just too stupid to find answers for themselves, when they are right under your nose.

What are you talking about?     Chris Roberts actually finished, not just started, but finished..... a few famous PC games that I guess you are not aware of.   Chris Roberts is also well known for producing and directing a few films.  Compared to Dean, Chris is a legend.   And again, before Dean came up with the great concept that is DayZ, I'm sure Chris never heard of him before.  I can't believe I have to explain this to you.   Amazing.   And to anyone who is trying to say Star Citizen is making a mistake by finding 218 people to work on the same project.   Perhaps you are thinking of the theory of Diminishing Returns.   Which sometimes does happen.   The idea is you reach a certain limit of how many people you put to work where you start producing less instead of more.   But this can be avoided by good organization and management.   DayZ is a huge fucking concept that uses a large map that needs a lot of work on the core.   DayZ is wildly popular on 3 fucking continents.  It could use more resources, not 30 people.  Were the pyramids built with a small team in order to avoid Diminishing Returns you guys are so scared about?   Was Taj Mahal built with a small team because the Mughals were afraid of diminishing returns?   Why the hell are DayZ fans so scared of diminishing returns?  

Starting a project with a lot of people is completely different than injecting a bunch of people into an existing project. They've already scoped it and found that they could get where they wanted by end of year. Even so, they doubled the staff to help out, which is quite an undertaking. Tripling or quadrupling the staff would be a bit extreme, would slow things down, and honestly not be very fair as they'd probably have to cut most of them right after the project. Not to mention, 30 million dollars is not as much as you think it is.

Not sure about that entire list but I have read that number 3 and the last one you mention is indeed fixed.

im just glad the item delay from when a player drops the item to when it shows up on the ground is fixed. it amazes me how some people think a game can be made and working properly in just a few presses of the keyboard. this is whats needed for a simple program with no gui, to make your mouse click multiple times with one press

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <Windows.h>
#include <time.h>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
bool RapidFire = false;
int AutoFireTimer = clock();
int currentTime;
bool MouseDown = false;
while (true)
{
if (GetAsyncKeyState(VK_RBUTTON) & 0x8000)RapidFire = true;
else RapidFire = false;

if (RapidFire)
{

if (!MouseDown)
{
MouseDown = true;
mouse_event(MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTUP, 0, 0, 0, 0); //
}
if (clock() - AutoFireTimer > 21)
{
MouseDown = false;
mouse_event(MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTDOWN, 0, 0, 0, 0); //
AutoFireTimer = clock();
}
}
}

}

now imagin about literally well over 10000 times that just in code alone, you have the models and bone structures of players and scaling, you have the server database and much much more

Im in process of making a survival game, no zombies.

In few short weeks of putting an hour here and there, watching you tube videos, i so far have a character walking and running. Inventory and soon crafting. Hell if i had 30 mill the game would be finished by now

Just kidding, its not easy making games, even at simple stage i have come across glitches

Edited by ld-airgrafix

200+ people isn't a mistake, but it's a very different approach. It's also a shit ton of overhead. How many of them are coders and how many are PMs? Nothing against PMs (I do my share of it) but we cost money without adding a ton of direct value, but you need a lot of them when the team gets large to keep things moving, and it's still not going to guarantee success. $30m won't go far at all with a team like that. 1 year or so?

As for approach, It is very, very hard to be responsive to changes with a huge team. Requirements need to be nailed down very early so that everyone is aligned. One change in one group can impact another, slowing them down or creating bugs; changes are frowned upon in this type of development environment and flexibility is lost, even with good management. I've seen this happen. These are complex problems. The Taj Mahal crew had a singular goal that probably didn't change much from initial plans. And they had unlimited funds. Large crew was appropriate, and it's not a good comp to a software project that is getting community input as they code.

If you're trying to be flexible, which seems to be the case here, it's easier with a smaller team. Trust me.

Appreciate your insight.  So what you are saying is that its much more normal to have 30 to 60 people on a game project and highly unusual to have 218.    If that is true then I see your point.i just hope you guys are right.   If Dayz's serious core problems are not fixed soon, we will never see vehicles or maybe even a finished game.  The hype may die down Before its worth finishing.  Im worried.