fortyeight

What files do I keep for my character(s) before re-installing windows?

So I am switching over to an SSD for my windows installation, what files from my computer do I need keep to ensure my characters are saved between installations?

Your character isn't saved client side, you don't need to keep any files, just reinstall the game.

• Like 1

I thought characters were stored on the hive associated with the steam account? In any case just save the whole Dayz folder 

its quite small

So I am switching over to an SSD for my windows installation, what files from my computer do I need keep to ensure my characters are saved between installations?

Only thing saved locally is your Video Settings. Your character is saved server side via hive. 

Congrats on your SSD ^.^ 

Your cfg files in your Documents so you don't lose your in-game settings, like controls and graphics tweaks. Other than that you don't need anything, as people have said, your characters save on the hives with your DayZ player ID.

save the whole dayz folder at c:\users\<your username>\my documents\dayz\

it contains your game config files (for keybinds, graphics settings, etc) but not your character data, which are stored server-side

after installation, just move that dayz folder to its former location above

I just reinstalled Win7 along with Steam, due to some major corrupt files, and it looks like my DayZ standalone character is gone. (There's no one standing on the main title page)

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

I just reinstalled Win7 along with Steam, due to some major corrupt files, and it looks like my DayZ standalone character is gone. (There's no one standing on the main title page)

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

You should be fine.  I just reinstalled windows and steam to two separate SSD's and I had the same issue with no character but that is because it reset back to your default settings.  Just join a server and you'll be fine

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Caboose187, I'll give it a try.

BTW the other thing that I noticed after first starting the game was that my graphics were reset to an almost random setting and my favorite servers were kept.

Finger crossed!

Sorry for the late reply but Caboose187 was totally right, once I joined a server my character came back. Thanks you!

Now I just need to avoid glitching though a second story wall!