Sign in to follow this  
Hicks (DayZ)

Infected Speeds and Melee weapons

Currently fighting with melee weapons feels really awkward in its current implementation but I really enjoy the idea of melee weapons in a zombie apoc game. I was wondering if a design change might be warranted with the introduction of melee weapons.

The design change would be simply to lower the infected movement speeds to a fast walk/hobble at maximum. The change would then be that weapons cause a much larger spawn of zombies to take place when ever a weapon is discharged.

In my mind zombies as a adversary never really works well, I myself enjoy them more as a force of nature, something that needs to be planned around when considering actions in the world. The idea being that 1 or 2 zombies are never the problem (since they can be easily dispatched via melee), the issue is when you get large groups of them that require weapons that then eventually leads to being overwhelmed, since they never stop coming.

I don't completely dislike running zombies in the game, I just was wondering what role rocket intends their role to be, I think the slower zombie model would work really well with the weaponless start that rocket is trying right now.

How about zombies that just run as fast as the player can? that would make it a little more "realistic" unless whatever virus they are infected with makes them run at super speed. Might be better for the whole glitching around and teleporting problems we have with the zombies.

Far as I know there wasn't even a melee mechanic in Arma. You're not even 'meleeing' with those weapons, they're still technically guns as far as the game is concerned. So that it works even as well as it does is impressive as far as I'm concerned. As for the zombies, I too would love a more zombie horde variety of undead, rather than the super man zombies. Ideally we could have both types, but I don't think the engine can really handle scores(or hundreds) of zombies coming at you at once without going totally bonkers. Maybe later on, or when it moves to Arma III, but I think the super zombies are as much Rocket's personal preference as forced in by the game's limitations.

That may be, but melee functionally is in the game and being tweaked. IMO if melee is going to be introduced as a serious means of defense zombie speed/lethality should be looked at.