Sign in to follow this  
johannesmp

Require Servers to list GMT time in name

While servers generally list their location (Chicago 2, Dallas 1, RU2, etc.) these generally don't correlate to the time on the server.

For example, being located in the same timezone as Chicago (GMT-6), I assumed that all the Chicago servers would indeed have the same time as myself.

However when I logged into several Chicago servers this morning around 6-7 am (when it's definitely light outside) It was completely night on the server.

This wouldn't be a problem if I could jump in and out quickly, but with the current load on the login/database server it can take 15+ minutes to connect!

So I would like to suggest that server creators should list their Server's time in terms of GMT. That way users will know what time it will be on ther server without having to wait half an hour first.

Have time of day be on the server list.

Make watches redundant.

No thanks.

This would be a pointless change.

I don't have a problem with listing server time in descriptions, but one thing to note is that the ingame time is dependent upon upon the server's framerate. If its bogged down, the server lags behind in ingame time. A restart is generally needed to get the server back to the current time.

If it's not daylight, play in the night.

Stop trying to follow the daylight to make the game easier for you.

I don't have a problem with listing server time in descriptions' date=' but one thing to note is that the ingame time is dependent upon upon the server's framerate. If its bogged down, the server lags behind in ingame time. A restart is generally needed to get the server back to the current time.

[/quote']

Aaah, ok. that makes more sense then. It seemed incredibly arbitrary what time it was where so far.

If it's not daylight' date=' play in the night.

[/quote']

As a brand new player I would like to learn to play during the day. As far as I've seen the learning curve is hard enough without having to play at night, so I'd like some day-time practice before advancing to that, thanks.

Given the crazy long load times, I've wasted about 5+ hours so far just loading maps that always ended up being in dark, cloud-covered night. I guess I'm just lucky.

Its no hassle for a server admin to edit his server config to state this in the gamespy browser, if they so wish. It is not up to players to define how other players should play or be so agressive towards a forum poster either. For a newcomer to the mod, playing during the daytime does help them to learn the ropes, it also has disadvantages

It's currently 7:34 AM on mine, and all 4 are also running daylight. If it stayed dark for a long time I'd assume it's indeed caused by delays over time as Felix has stated.

It's currently 7:34 AM on mine' date=' and all 4 are also running daylight. If it stayed dark for a long time I'd assume it's indeed caused by delays over time as Felix has stated.

[/quote']

Ah, sweet. If it's ok to ask that here, what are your servers called so I can give those a go?

You probably joined them already :/. Chicago 5/6/7/8.

[/quote']

This post was hilariously obnoxious. Because he prefers the daylight does not make him any worse of a player, so implying such is hilarious ignorant. If anything, we can all admit that the nighttime in this mod is BROKEN. I have never walked outside and been in pitch black, even when the power was out in my town. The moon creates far more light.

It's not challenging to play in the dark, it's just not fun. It strains your eyes and ruins the game.

I'm not a fan of meta gaming but i think this would actually be nice, realtime day night is cool, but some players come back from work and it's ALWAYS the night for them.

If anything it would at least tell you which server set time to what.

I would like to see this change, but then I'm one of those Leechman would abhor: If I want to play Day Z in the evening and it happens to be dark in-game, I'll migrate to US servers to chase the light.

My friends do the same. And for those unfamiliar with Chernarus, playing in day is the only sensible way to learn the game.

To be quite honest, even after becoming familiar with the map, I can't see me ever changing my ways. I like playing in the day, and, though I don't mind the dawn and dusk, I can't see me playing in the inky black for hours on end - ever.

[/quote']Yeah, everyone who works for a living and wants to play on a "local" server should be relegated to pitch blackness. Serves them right for not quitting their jobs for the sake of DayZ. :s

UTC time should be the first part of the server name, followed by difficulty. That would save a lot of hassle for the player, blindly going from server to server, and relieve the master server from having to handle so many needless connections.