Sign in to follow this  
ripzeus

*CONFIRMED FIX FOR DESYNC*

*I'm not sure if this thread should go here, and if it doesn't please move it the correct area.*

It seems I have come across a fix for massive desync's (At least for me).

I run a UTM gateway called UTM 9 by Sophos and came across something that has relived my desync altogether. Now during a normal and desync gameplay there are UDP packets sent from the server to the client in *MASS* causing a UDP Packet Flood, during this flood of incoming data, my gateway sees this as a potential threat and stops it at the door on UDP ports 2302-2305, (This method was tested during a 100k desync) while I was desynced I went into UTM9 checked Anti-DoS and Flooding real time logs and watched my firewall/gateway block everything on those ports. 

After everything was confirmed that UTM 9 was blocking these packets from the server, I proceeded to add an exception to skip UDP Anti-DoS/Flooding on ports 2302-2305 within Intrusion prevention. Once the exception rule was added my desync cleared up and I was able to play again.

Now for people who do not have UTM 9 and have a standard router/firewall, you may need to look to see if you have any kind of anti-DoS/flooding control and create an exception for those ports explained above.

I hope this help everyone who is having these desync problems.

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=4507

Edited by ripzeus
  • Like 2

Not being too familiar with anything network related, thanks for the post. Testing it ATM and results look very promising. If I may ask a few questions, though, in no particular order:

• I'm assuming that WRT DayZ desync that I don't need to increase the ICMP/TCP-SYN numbers?
  • What would you recommend as a suitable UDP threshhold. My system defaults to 500 and I've boosted this up to 750 for testing. Do I need to go higher? Is a lower value a better compromise to desync/security?
  • Is there any Windows system/Windows firewall settings that may be hitting UDP throughput?

If you are able to share any answers for these it would be appreciated. As I said, networking is a big black hole to me :)

• Like 1

Not being too familiar with anything network related, thanks for the post. Testing it ATM and results look very promising. If I may ask a few questions, though, in no particular order:

• I'm assuming that WRT DayZ desync that I don't need to increase the ICMP/TCP-SYN numbers?
  • What would you recommend as a suitable UDP threshhold. My system defaults to 500 and I've boosted this up to 750 for testing. Do I need to go higher? Is a lower value a better compromise to desync/security?
  • Is there any Windows system/Windows firewall settings that may be hitting UDP throughput?

If you are able to share any answers for these it would be appreciated. As I said, networking is a big black hole to me :)

No you don't need to do anything with ICMP/TCP-SYN Numbers as the only packets DayZ uses are UDP.

I have my thresh hold around 1500 and still got 100k desynced, so I am not sure if the UDP Threshold has any effect.

Possibly not, since the UDP ports are 2302 thru 2305.

Thanks, good to know. I'll leave it where I've set it and monitor the situation for a bit.

Dean mentions desync in the latest devblog: http://youtu.be/19ehC8kwoWE?t=11m30s

Seems it may be related to server->client spam for inventory. I don't think anything we do is going to fix that.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1

Thanks, good to know. I'll leave it where I've set it and monitor the situation for a bit.

Dean mentions desync in the latest devblog: http://youtu.be/19ehC8kwoWE?t=11m30s

Seems it may be related to server->client spam for inventory. I don't think anything we do is going to fix that.

While true we can't fix it, but this work around does work.

I have played for about 7 hours today and about 13 hours yesterday without a single desync.