Tricky_Vic

Weathering on guns, wear and tear on clothing, more uses for spraycans, and more inventive ways to stay hidden

So we all know that depending on the state of an item or clothing that if it looks bad, it's either damaged or ruined.

If it looks good, etc.

But, but what if there was weathering to indicate how long it had been lying around?

I'll see if I can flesh this out a bit-

>Player A finds M4 on the ground

>Depending on where he found it, the weathering and coloration may depend

>Outside-M4 is dirty, scratch marks here and there, but otherwise it OPERATES in pristine condition.

>Inside-Depending on what building its located in, it's not as bad as it was outside-

>>Normal Home-Little wear and tear here, totally fine.

>>Military Base-Clean, crisp, ready to fight.

>>Outdoors-like quarters(tents, outposts, deer stands, etc.)-Mix of outside and normal home.

>Player A picks up M4 on ground, they can either increase the wear on the gun using spraycans and (must be outside) some dirt on the ground to increase the weathering.

>Player A can also use 1 rag to clean the gun, rag has about 4 uses before it becomes ruined.

>Player A can also increase weathering to use it as bait, placing it in a location such as outside or in a base, or as an indicator of "I just found this, I'm totally harmless with it."

Now lets change it up a bit. Player A gets killed by Player B.

>M4 has bloodstains depending on where Player A was hit.

>Like before with player A, the weapon can be dirtied with blood and/or dirt, or it can be cleaned, though 2 rags will have to be used and if the gun is bloody and Player A was infected/sick, there is a slight chance for infection due to the fact that sanitary measures were not taken to clean the gun of blood.

I think I've hit off enough about guns, though I'd imagine clothes would work the same way.

Buuuuut.

What about spraycans to not just mimic weathering, but to decrease visibility, and not just for guns either, clothing and equipment too.

"but that's overpowered!"

Not without side effects and limitations.

Players can suffer from light chem poisoning if they aren't careful.

Poisioning is probably a strong word though, how about, irritation? 

Irritation results in slightly staggered aim, similar to pain but on a much smaller scale.

Also, some blurriness may occur, though it's not too bad.

Some status's of certain types of equipment and clothing can come out at a lower type of condtion if not careful, though it won't be ruined.

You'll need a binding solution, something to keep the paint on the object if you wanna have it permanently(Not too hard to find, factories, shops, etc.).

and about that being careful part, it's a 50% chance to screw up and add too much or add too little paint to an object.

Too much/little will give the status mis-painted and object in choice may have patches of it's original color still showing.

Oh, and it doesn't just have to be black and green.

Wanna add on to those punk boots you rarely find every now and then?

Post-apoc punk bandits anyone?

Wanna go farther? When/if players can use natural resources such as bushes, trees, and the like for whatever in future updates, they might be able to make a really raggedy faux "ghille" suit.

Going too far?

lasts for maybe an hour in terms of ingame time, or about 3 hours in real life time. plant matter falls off and rots off.

The kicker to it is that the materials required take even longer to find, minus the green goodies you can find everywhere.

It's making the greens stick together and actually hold on that matters most. This isn't an actual suit, it's more of a cheap placeholder, think of it as sticks acting as the base, and leaves/plant matter acting as extra camouflage in addition to whatever you're wearing.

(I can't think of a name for this kind of thing, anyone know what we could call this?)

Last part-

Indicators.

Spraypaint a rag, tie around your arm, leg, hand, head, gun, where ever.

You can use whatever colors or even a simple design to indicate who is who.

Last last part, or in this case-a couple more parts-

-Same way with the raggedy-faux ghille suit, what about blinds and such so you and your buddies can stay hidden?

-Wanna stay hidden in the city? Same raggedy faux-ghille suit-With trash instead of leaves and sticks. The only trade-off is that you are a bit louder when you move but it lasts like normal clothing.

Couple New ideas-

>Use rags from torn shirts to increase the longevity  of weapons by covering them.

>Find a ghille suit? separate it into parts, and use them to cover your weapon.

>Spraying ballistic helmets?

>Bush type Ghille suit?

Edited by Tricky VIc
  • Like 1

Extremely good idea, adds even more realism to the game! 

It would be cool, correct me if I'm wrong but for every variation of the item (worn, dirty, bloodied etc.) a new item must be created. We already have 5 M4's essentially (pristine, worn, damaged etc.) cross that with the weather conditions and that's too many than the dayz team can handle, let alone the server that must spawn them.

I think Dean should split damage into 2 categories:

Aesthetic

&

Function

A M4A1 that has the stats of:

Aesthetic: Dirty

Function: Pristine

That M4A1 will look very rugged and weathered, but perform optimally.

It would be cool, correct me if I'm wrong but for every variation of the item (worn, dirty, bloodied etc.) a new item must be created. We already have 5 M4's essentially (pristine, worn, damaged etc.) cross that with the weather conditions and that's too many than the dayz team can handle, let alone the server that must spawn them.

well instead of status changes, why not a texture change instead?

Or does the status/type of weapon change HAVE to change with the texture.

I want tk paint custom emblems on clothes and guns.

I feel like that would be too much at the moment.

I'm trying to stay within limits of the game atm, and I feel like adding symbols and such would take waay more resources than it should since we're talking about the arma 2 engine.

I feel like that would be too much at the moment.

I'm trying to stay within limits of the game atm, and I feel like adding symbols and such would take waay more resources than it should since we're talking about the arma 2 engine.

Its alpha, and meant for suggestions. And its an Arma 3 engine, with some Arma2. The arma2 part is the bugs and glitches XD. But Ive seen custom tag mods in Arma 3 and even 2.

Its alpha, and meant for suggestions. And its an Arma 3 engine, with some Arma2. The arma2 part is the bugs and glitches XD. But Ive seen custom tag mods in Arma 3 and even 2.

Arma 3's engine is running this?

Well, guess your idea might work out after all.

I'm just worried it might stress the servers a bit.

Arma 3's engine is running this?

Well, guess your idea might work out after all.

I'm just worried it might stress the servers a bit.

DayZ SA is not running the ARMA 3 engine. It is using the engine from Take On Helicopters, essentially the ARMA 2 engine with updated technology.

Well, one must be based on the other. Feels just like Arma3. At least I dont have sporadic proningwhilerunning syndrome

3 real-life hours = 1 in-game hour?

And why exactly would a ghillie suit tear up after an hour? Painting your items does not need to be an impossible task (poisoning, 50% chance of base failure, binding solutions). 

I'd rather them just have craftable clothing and outdoor machined gear before we start painting our backpacks and coats.

What we should do first is wait for the devs to give us a wider variety of clothing (craft-able and non craft-able) and then give us the tools we can use to modify them with (paint, sewing kits, patches, medals, etc), some of which are already in the current game.

3 real-life hours = 1 in-game hour?

And why exactly would a ghillie suit tear up after an hour? Painting your items does not need to be an impossible task (poisoning, 50% chance of base failure, binding solutions). 

I'd rather them just have craftable clothing and outdoor machined gear before we start painting our backpacks and coats.

Ghille suit is actually made from plants, etc.

Not the synthetic look-alikes.

It's not gonna last forever, it's meant to be a temporary fix, i.e. really situational.

And since you can't see people very well in this game if they've got the camo on, imagine what a ghille suit could do.

Fixed the OP again, sorry about that.

And as for poisoning, I'll fix that up in the OP.

What we should do first is wait for the devs to give us a wider variety of clothing (craft-able and non craft-able) and then give us the tools we can use to modify them with (paint, sewing kits, patches, medals, etc), some of which are already in the current game.

mmm...

you've got a point.

Edited by Tricky VIc

Sniper Ghillies are natural. Theyve got maybe a field jacket as the.base, but its just canvas, burlap spraypaint and mud. Trust me, I make and sell them for about 200 a pop. And snipers use foilage to INCREASE.camoflauge and must be chanfed bases on your surroundings. Please do your research, snipers dont pluck u a damb bush and wear it. (They take about 4 days of 6 hour sessions to make btw)

Sniper Ghillies are natural. Theyve got maybe a field jacket as the.base, but its just canvas, burlap spraypaint and mud. Trust me, I make and sell them for about 200 a pop. And snipers use foilage to INCREASE.camoflauge and must be chanfed bases on your surroundings. Please do your research, snipers dont pluck u a damb bush and wear it. (They take about 4 days of 6 hour sessions to make btw)

Well, after reading your posts, lemme go back and change the OP again.

Thanks for correcting me on that.

Thanks for that. I think it should take awhile to make though. Like a 10 or 15 minute animation or somethin.

It's not gonna last forever, it's meant to be a temporary fix, i.e. really situational.

And since you can't see people very well in this game if they've got the camo on, imagine what a ghille suit could do.

Fixed the OP again, sorry about that.

And as for poisoning, I'll fix that up in the OP.

Oh, you did have a point then. I doubt a very hastily made ghillie suit would hold together for long as you've said, and I guess if you really went overboard with painting you could probably inhale enough fumes to kill yourself, but that could be alleviated by wearing a mask or something.

I do like the idea of customized clothing and objects a lot, just don't think something as trivial as painting should be super difficult to do.

Oh, you did have a point then. I doubt a very hastily made ghillie suit would hold together for long as you've said, and I guess if you really went overboard with painting you could probably inhale enough fumes to kill yourself, but that could be alleviated by wearing a mask or something.

I do like the idea of customized clothing and objects a lot, just don't think something as trivial as painting should be super difficult to do.

well, what if it was based on the status of the paint?

Badly damaged results in a much higher chance of the paint can outputting or failing to output as much paint.

I think Dean should split damage into 2 categories:

Aesthetic

&

Function

A M4A1 that has the stats of:

Aesthetic: Dirty

Function: Pristine

That M4A1 will look very rugged and weathered, but perform optimally.

That really shouldn't be too hard to do.  Love it.  And can we get a "good" condition in between pristine and worn?  Just askin...