dicamarques

Huge internet lag/desync on slow internet

My internet isnt near the worlds fastest (128kb down. 60kb up) but I can play any major games like cod, bf4 and specially Arma 2 wasteland the only issue is that I have pings >150. The games are playable and I have a computer that can handle all of them: i3-3220, GTX 650 Ti Boost and 8GB ram.

The issue here is that with this internet I can play wasteland without any difference on the ping and minor desync sometimes, but if I go to the mod or SA my ping get to 1000 if I move and I also get a desync of 1000. To my looks it seems that DayZ needs some optimization on the network code. So does anyone has a solution, if not can some dev at least have a look to why dayz requires so much bandwidth?

Dayz requires far more network communication than wasteland for example. If wasteland had shitloads of ai wandering the map, and well, doing everything that the zombies do, plus all of the loot, it would be different. The server architecture for dayz is different than any of the other arma mods, especially SA, almost everything in game is handled server-side, which requires the client to communicate, more and rapidly with the server. it's not a problem with netcode optimization, it's a problem with the internet speed. 

Dayz requires far more network communication than wasteland for example. If wasteland had shitloads of ai wandering the map, and well, doing everything that the zombies do, plus all of the loot, it would be different. The server architecture for dayz is different than any of the other arma mods, especially SA, almost everything in game is handled server-side, which requires the client to communicate, more and rapidly with the server. it's not a problem with netcode optimization, it's a problem with the internet speed. 

Thanks for the reply, is just that it seems I'm starting to not have games to play because of my shitty internet speed, when my internet was with unlocked speed I measured how much it used in 1hr and it used 100mb! 

I have tested this alone so its not of someone from my squad, also tried empty servers and without any gear on me.

I'm sorry but 150 ms and 128/60 just isn't near enough for modern online games

Actually it is enough, I play most FPS games without much issues, up to 190ms it's playable.

• Like 1

But other people see you rubber banding

Thats true, but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world where not everyone has access to fiber. But that's the worst case ping's, i ususally have on bf4 130/140 pings and it's not because my ping I'm a bad player, i'm actually a average one, I can get to the top 10 of the team on most matchs

There is a desync fix coming. Hopefully it can fix your problem. I understand your pain, i have a slow internet too.

There is a desync fix coming. Hopefully it can fix your problem. I understand your pain, i have a slow internet too.

What speed you have?

No issues here: 50/25 coaxial connection. Time to upgrade.

I would upgrade if I could, it's my BS ISP that slowdowns my internet after 1GB