LittleBlackRainCloud

Item Disparity

After playing about 125 hours between normal and hard servers I found loot to be fairly easy to obtain, at least all the essentials like food and clothing.

Wanting to see the patches and so forth prior to their release I decided to play on the experimental servers. Now 20 hours later I see the difference in playing the game without using (unintentional?) work arounds (server hopping in particular) to the mechanics

Now I understand the dog eat dog mentality, limited resources = gameplay. But the gameplay is severely imbalanced in favor of those fortunate to be on right after a server reset.

This does 2 things

First, it forces players to consider the loop hole of server hopping as the only viable competitive choice.

Second, it is 4th wall breaking, instead of playing vs the game within the design it becomes a "log in to see if lot is up yet game". Intentional or not this is very discouraging, because I only have certain hours of the day to play and I would like to enjoy the mechanics when I have the time to play during peak hours not simply when "mana falls from the sky".

Which in reality may not actually happen when I have time to play.

I know you guys are working on loot respawning, as it has been mentioned before. But let me re affirm the fact that it makes your game pretty self defeating, in particular, on your experimental servers.

Be prepared to get a lot of "the experimental servers are experimental, and this is an alpha - if you don't like it, don't play it".

Alas, I don't disagree with you.  Loot respawn will eventually come, and until then all you can do is stay the course.  What else beside loot respawn do you expect the Devs to do?  I see no suggestion here, just a complaint.

After playing about 125 hours between normal and hard servers I found loot to be fairly easy to obtain, at least all the essentials like food and clothing.

Wanting to see the patches and so forth prior to their release I decided to play on the experimental servers. Now 20 hours later I see the difference in playing the game without using (unintentional?) work arounds (server hopping in particular) to the mechanics

Now I understand the dog eat dog mentality, limited resources = gameplay. But the gameplay is severely imbalanced in favor of those fortunate to be on right after a server reset.

This does 2 things

First, it forces players to consider the loop hole of server hopping as the only viable competitive choice.

Second, it is 4th wall breaking, instead of playing vs the game within the design it becomes a "log in to see if lot is up yet game". Intentional or not this is very discouraging, because I only have certain hours of the day to play and I would like to enjoy the mechanics when I have the time to play during peak hours not simply when "mana falls from the sky".

Which in reality may not actually happen when I have time to play.

I know you guys are working on loot respawning, as it has been mentioned before. But let me re affirm the fact that it makes your game pretty self defeating, in particular, on your experimental servers.

The fact that loot doesn't respawn doesn't force you to do anything, server hopping included. That is a very personal choice on your part. TBH, the game really becomes closest to the survival game it should/could be if you elect not to use such an exploit.

Once respawn of loot is implemented and tweaked to the Devs liking, the game will pretty much be close to perfect. ATM it is possible to play and survive on any server, even if the restart was not recent. Players tend to congrugate in specific zones and out of those is where the real DayZ happens.

Be prepared to get a lot of "the experimental servers are experimental, and this is an alpha - if you don't like it, don't play it".

Alas, I don't disagree with you.  Loot respawn will eventually come, and until then all you can do is stay the course.  What else beside loot respawn do you expect the Devs to do?  I see no suggestion here, just a complaint.

I think complaints are how you look at them, I could have stated plainly and redundantly that respawning loot is needed. My point is simply to remind the developers that another player finds the current gameplay awkwardly difficult, and would rather have glitches and unfinished material than to simply not have the opportunity to compete at all.

I think loot respawning isn't the necessarily answer, animal spawns so you could hunt for food, or foraging perhaps. They make sense more than magic loot spawns. But magic spawns are appealing as well, there is a level of suspension of disbelief .. and if so I would think a minimum of every 20 minutes to spawn 1 accessible food item (or inaccessible and opening device) per kilometer (or township) appropiate.

Those are the easy routes.

You coud also create no kill zones .. like churches in hihglander where thre are barter znes and have a "barter town" economy. 

Then there are wacky things you could do like zombie drops, or other monsters. Or have a zombie hoard of a couple hundred sweep the landscape with a zombie boss that players have to work togther to defeat. At leats you would have an antagonist to give the players a reason to band together for. Or some dungeon / mountain cave locale where "it all started"

Drop a comet from the sky, open a dark hole or magic gateway .. all the same to me.

But starving for no reason other than I wasn't first online is pretty stinky.

Edited by LittleBlackRainCloud

The fact that loot doesn't respawn doesn't force you to do anything, server hopping included. That is a very personal choice on your part. TBH, the game really becomes closest to the survival game it should/could be if you elect not to use such an exploit.

Once respawn of loot is implemented and tweaked to the Devs liking, the game will pretty much be close to perfect. ATM it is possible to play and survive on any server, even if the restart was not recent. Players tend to congrugate in specific zones and out of those is where the real DayZ happens.

I think this is mostly a pedantic argument.

However, you are incorrect survivibility is not probable on servers that have been online / restarted for more than a couple hours for a fresh spawn without outside help. I have tested this several times in the 20 hours that I have played on the experimental servers. There is a difference between fair enough and a snowballs chance in hell.

But possibly I am being unfair to you, because I recognized through my time playing, most of the loot spawn (95% -ish), anywhere near a reasonable distance from a coastal spawn area, have been stripped. Which includes going as far inland as say Starry / Novi Sober (about a 35-45 minute jog).

Likewise spawning in SW Electro is a death sentence more often than not.