hypergolem

Teaming up in game? Barely...

Players like to team up and play together for various reasons. It is more fun, you can protect each other in a team, you are more dangerous, you can plan strategies and help each other. There is only one problem... 90% of the teams and groups/clans that play together in the game are created outside of the game. Either they are friends in real life, or they create the team in specific web pages that connect DayZ players. In this sense I think the game has failed to create that realistic environment that would lead to people teaming up naturally in game and not outside of it. What can the developers do to promote or help to solve this. Is it lack of communication? Is it because of the constant fear of being killed? Is it because in game we all become ruthless killers without any sign of humanity?

Thoughts?

Don't discard the power of communication. EVER !Many groups being formed originated in game.

After some days playing together, and a few Steam invites, eventually the group gains momentum.

There you go. A new clan is born.

Nothing can be done to improve a player's innate communication skills.

Players like to team up and play together for various reasons. It is more fun, you can protect each other in a team, you are more dangerous, you can plan strategies and help each other. There is only one problem... 90% of the teams and groups/clans that play together in the game are created outside of the game. Either they are friends in real life, or they create the team in specific web pages that connect DayZ players. In this sense I think the game has failed to create that realistic environment that would lead to people teaming up naturally in game and not outside of it. What can the developers do to promote or help to solve this. Is it lack of communication? Is it because of the constant fear of being killed? Is it because in game we all become ruthless killers without any sign of humanity?

Thoughts?

You can't blame the game or its design for what people do outside of the game. You can't change the fact that some people play with friends, some people play with groups of people that they've found online.

There's nothing to be done about this "problem" (can't say I see it as a problem) - so the devs doesn't have to do anything. The reasons for killing other players or not talking to them are as many and diverse (well almost anyway) as there are players.

I think its authentic to a degree. I mean if the apocalypse hits, the first guys im going to try and meet up with will be my friends. So that's ok that they made groups from outside the game. That being said all the guys I play dayz with I met in the mod. This is where the current state of the game comes in. With only having what you can carry people are reluctant to approach others. But when basebuilding and vehicles come in things will change. You can stash that nice rifle and your fave cloths, then go out with crap loot to interact and make friends. Maybe offer some surplus loot that's quite valuable to the other guy, building the friendship. I think this one will solve its self as development progresses :)

• Like 3

I've met two people in game and exchanged steam ID's, the one dude hasnt been on in a while, but the other I speak to and play with regularly. He was going to backstab me but changed his mind lol

• Like 1

The clan I play with all met in game. They are some of the friendliest people I've ever met and are always willing to help/give gear etc.

yeah the teamspeak comms can be a bit lapse and annoying but you have to remember that we are a group of randoms playing, not a trained infantry section lol.

I have yet to actually find someone to play with other than people I know IRL. It should happen more often, but I suppose im more of a lone wolf type. Then again, most people with gear out there would rather kill you than have you running around them with your gun out.

The ONLY way of creating the type player interaction that you're suggesting is to tie characters to a server. That's it. As long as you can carry over survivors and loot between different servers, bumping into someone in the game who you go on to cooperate with in a meaningful long-term way will remain rare.

Although server-tied characters solves an awful lot of gameplay issues (server-hopping, ghosting, persistent storage exploits, post-death gear recovery, etc.), I imagine it creates a lot of technical problems. Maybe we'll see it in the future as servers become more stable and better able to handle more players at once - but it may be that the developers simply don't see this level of "realism" or "immersion" as desirable or important, so it may never happen.

The ONLY way of creating the type player interaction that you're suggesting is to tie characters to a server. That's it. As long as you can carry over survivors and loot between different servers, bumping into someone in the game who you go on to cooperate with in a meaningful long-term way will remain rare.

Although server-tied characters solves an awful lot of gameplay issues (server-hopping, ghosting, persistent storage exploits, post-death gear recovery, etc.), I imagine it creates a lot of technical problems. Maybe we'll see it in the future as servers become more stable and better able to handle more players at once - but it may be that the developers simply don't see this level of "realism" or "immersion" as desirable or important, so it may never happen.

I don't think they will do that for the entire game, because the hive system is one of there main selling points. But private hives are on the way, and they will have your guy bound to that server. The devs also mentioned groups of servers. Personally I will always play private hive if I can. Its a more immersive experience as players always use that server, build there, get killed there and take revenge there. Lots more politics between powerfull groups, and a real sense of surviving against others :)