Sign in to follow this  
Kolchak (DayZ)

Dying too much when trying to sneak now? try this...

Been seeing alot of people making posts about how zombies are too hard/broken legs/ect. You're more visible now, as long as there's lots of light you're going to be seen, the only way you can fix this is to try playing on bright night servers, or servers just before dawn, just after dusk. You'll be invisible while crawling again. Being that you can't even slow down while crawling until you have a main weapon equipped, making noise is a big problem for fresh spawns day or night. So it's time I give out something I really wanted to keep to myself cause it seems really broken to me. Start going backwards.

Technical Breakdown: The biggest difference I've noticed in sneaking tactics is that now, there is almost no way to move at high speed without making noise. That's because they lowered the speed threshold for making noise. Now, crawling at full speed is just above the minimum threshold in almost any terrain to make noise. It's also the reason you make more noise when crouch running. I thought on this and said "I'm making too much noise, cause I'm going too fast. Solution is to slow down." So I tried, problem with that is you are fixed at 2 speeds, fast and slow. In real life if I was going too fast and needed to slow down, I could slow down moderately, instead of all at once, but here, fast is too fast and slow is too slow. When I go fast I make too much noise, and when I go slow, I don't move fast enough to get out of the way. Well, in first person shooters going backwards is usually slower than going forwards. So I tried it. It works. Crawling backwards quickly is slow enough on anything but streets to still be silent. Crouch running backwards is slow enough to have only the first tic on sound. That's the same as fast crawling forward, but it's about 3 or 4 times faster. You might be saying "How do you see when you're going backwards?" Numpad keys 1 and 3, you will look over your shoulder. It's much easier in 3rd person of course, but manageable in first person, especially if you have an Alice or a Ghillie suit, Alice packs have less obstruction on your back, and Ghillie's remove the pack. So next time you're making too much noise, try going backwards.

Summary- Try this: Crawl forward at full speed and watch your noise and sight meters, now crouch run backwards and watch your meters. Yes they are the same and you went three times as fast. Use 1 and 3 to look over your shoulder and keep awareness. Crawling backwards fast is silent everywhere but pavement/streets.

Will you look silly? Sure, but you'll look silly much faster/safer than you were before. Enjoy surviving longer.

Or you could try strafing sideways. Also carrying a m1911 in your hands will reduce your detection to a 1 sound bar crouch running in any direction, this will work with other "heavy" weapons.

Or you could try strafing sideways. Also carrying a m1911 in your hands will reduce your detection to a 1 sound bar crouch running in any direction' date=' this will work with other "heavy" weapons.

[/quote']

Strafing sideways doesn't always work, especially doesn't when fast crawling. With most weapons crawling sideways is actually faster than crawling straight forward, which is a step in the wrong direction. Backwards seems to work no matter what you're holding. I'll have to test out the 1911 thing, it was making me have 2 bars last time I tried, but I might have been on pavement, only time I keep my sidearm out is when I'm getting ready to use it, since it makes things so wonky. (Cannot crawl slow with your sidearm out, auto crouch when you interact with things or go to gear screen.)

Wow thanks for the post ! I knew something was recently broken since I would die within a few minutes. The answer is that you can't slow crawl without a weapon. Another tip is crawling diagonally with no weapon, zero sound.

why dont you just crouch walk and tap crouch run when Zs are out of los/arent groaning at you? just pay attention to which direction they're looking and crouch walk when you hear them

if they agro, just stand up run and zig zag through some houses/trees to get some space, then right as youre about to turn a corner and break los, crouch walk, then turn the corner, then keep walking and break los with the corner before the Z can see around it.

the z will run up to the spot you started crouch walking, then lose agro, then he'll keep walking straight until he passes the corner, if he sees you he'll pick up agro again. if he only hears you, he'll run to the sound spot then "look" for an agro target, just dont be there anymore and youll be fine

if you're running through a field, once in a while they just randomly drop agro and look for you again, they usually see you cuz youre still running, but if you stop at just the right moment with enough space in between, you can lose agro in an empty field

I have never had issues with zombies spotting me. I mean when I get spotted it's a fair deal, where there looking straight at me, I don't understand what your issues are.

I have never had issues with zombies spotting me. I mean when I get spotted it's a fair deal' date=' where there looking straight at me, I don't understand what your issues are.

[/quote']

I think its about when you start off with no weapon and need to sneak around infected you make more sound / move faster when in prone than you would if you had a weapon. Even then infected still don't really notice me, you just have to be a bit more careful - no need to go backwards imo (which has horrible disadvantages).

I think that zombies were perfect in 1.7.0.

Now there is really no point trying to sneak past zombies unless you prone the entire way.