Sign in to follow this  
hippocrates311

Heart attack "Theory"

This is my theory on heart attacks in-game. This is just a theory. 

First i believe it is linked to the shock system. So say if you have been running for a long period of time your heart rate is higher, taking damage from zeds or bullets will flash your screen for a second (if you are not instantly killed) which causes an increase of your characters shock value and chance of heart attack. so basically...

high heart rate + increase in shock value = chance of heart attack...

if this is way off and its random chance of heart attacks then it is a horribly designed system. but what do you guys think?

edit

low blood and other factors probably play a role too. just as if you are healthy or not. but that being said i would believe it is related mostly to the shock system.

Edited by hippocrates311
  • Like 1

From personal experience, this seems like it would be legit. Say your shock value spikes above your blood level. This would increase your heart rate, fibbing you or possibly giving you a heart attack. You pass out. But there is also going to be a blood pressure system, which carries in another whole host of problems. Say you have a disease that raises blood pressure, you could be at an increased risk for heart attack.

Edited by Guppy the DayZ Medic

A shock does not have anything to do with your adrenaline or your heartbeat or something else. 

It describes the problem of losing loads of blood.

A shock does not have anything to do with your adrenaline or your heartbeat or something else. 

It describes the problem of losing loads of blood.

Shock happens with a set chance when you take damage. This has a higher or lower chance, depending on how much damage is dealt. (low for zombies, high for gunshot wounds). You can lose as much blood as you want, it doesn't correlate to shock levels. However, if shock levels go ABOVE blood levels, your heartbeat fibulates, and you are knocked unconscious. At that point, the best course of action is a defibulator, NOT an epi-pen. Epi pens can be used during heart attacks however, because it puts an increased amount of adrenaline into the bloodstream. This increases heartrate and could jump-start the muscles.

• Like 1

players can have heart attacks now in-game. but the reason i think they added the feature to check pulse is not solely for reviving people but to check your own pulse before you go into battle or after a long run. meaning you have to control your running, jogging, walking... etc. this is just a theory i was thinking about. 

high pulse > shocked then possible heart attack.

lack of blood and running full speed for hours could possibly cause a heart attack too.

I need to know exactly how heart attacks happen, however I will say that having them in is really stupid. There's a boundary for realism and this passes it as I can't imagine it to be very fun.

I'm in for hear attacks, diabetes etc;

But the way in which this would have to be implemented is the tricky thing. Spawn characters with some diseases or develop them over time in game dependent from what player eats/drinks etc... And how long would it take.

I need to know exactly how heart attacks happen, however I will say that having them in is really stupid. There's a boundary for realism and this passes it as I can't imagine it to be very fun.

It can be, depending on your playing style. If you're a bandit, that likes to sprint down the coast and shoot newspawns... I can imagine it not being fun when one punches you in the head, putting you into shock and thus a heart attack. HOWEVER. If you play as a medic, this will be INSANELY fun.

if it is completely random.... or food related (meaning drinking 30 cans of soda a day) then it is going to be a plague on this game. i have not done any testing at all. this is pure theory. i was thinking about it earlier today after reading about there new "feature".

the reason it cannot be food related is because we have a lack of food in the game currently.

but i believe medic has it right. you need to be careful now when running and getting attacked. 

Edited by hippocrates311

It can be, depending on your playing style. If you're a bandit, that likes to sprint down the coast and shoot newspawns... I can imagine it not being fun when one punches you in the head, putting you into shock and thus a heart attack. HOWEVER. If you play as a medic, this will be INSANELY fun.

Truthfully. There are like 10 medics in this game as a whole, I'm thinking this will be one of those ideas that are alpha only and not received well at all.

Truthfully. There are like 10 medics in this game as a whole, I'm thinking this will be one of those ideas that are alpha only and not received well at all.

10 medics...? WHAT IS THIS BLASHPHEMY?! My good man, I kindfully direct you to our sanctuary. http://www.reddit.com/r/redditrescueforce

I'm guessing you speak for everyone then?

10 medics...? WHAT IS THIS BLASHPHEMY?! My good man, I kindfully direct you to our sanctuary. http://www.reddit.com/r/redditrescueforce

I know I know. My post was over exaggerated, however the medic playstyle isn't very popular from my past experience, I've tried it I got killed too much and give up.

As I said, I'll have to wait to see how exactly this works before really going into depth of how un-fun this could be. 

I'm guessing you speak for everyone then?

Where exactly did I state this?
Edited by Victus Mortuus

I know I know. My post was over exaggerated, however the medic playstyle isn't very popular from my past experience, I've tried it I got killed too much and give up.

As I said, I'll have to wait to see how exactly this works before really going into depth of how un-fun this could be. 

Where exactly did I state this?

It's all about being cautious. Being a medic isn't just patching wounds and being friendly. It's a tactical job of vigilance, and it's deadly dangerous with a good chance of death. On my second rescue, me and two other medics formed up a squad. We passed through Electro, and  were ambushed. 11 confirmed kills later, we sprint out of electro with brand-spankin' new saline bags as the coastal cuties in the city looted their bodies.

• Like 1

i was reading on reddit about a person who got one shot killed by a zed. he said he ran at the zed with his axe and missed then got hit and died. i hope its not that extreme, but he could have been running for hrs before he tried to fight that zed.

It's all about being cautious. Being a medic isn't just patching wounds and being friendly. It's a tactical job of vigilance, and it's deadly dangerous with a good chance of death. On my second rescue, me and two other medics formed up a squad. We passed through Electro, and  were ambushed. 11 confirmed kills later, we sprint out of electro with brand-spankin' new saline bags as the coastal cuties in the city looted their bodies.

I'd rather be a bandit ;) 

i was reading on reddit about a person who got one shot killed by a zed. he said he ran at the zed with his axe and missed then got hit and died. i hope its not that extreme, but he could have been running for hrs before he tried to fight that zed.

That'll be so bad, about as much fun as a heart attack.

Shock happens with a set chance when you take damage. This has a higher or lower chance, depending on how much damage is dealt. (low for zombies, high for gunshot wounds). You can lose as much blood as you want, it doesn't correlate to shock levels. However, if shock levels go ABOVE blood levels, your heartbeat fibulates, and you are knocked unconscious. At that point, the best course of action is a defibulator, NOT an epi-pen. Epi pens can be used during heart attacks however, because it puts an increased amount of adrenaline into the bloodstream. This increases heartrate and could jump-start the muscles.

I just mention, that the word shock is just used wrong here. 

Adrenaline would help btw. because it would delay the bleeding.

A punch to the face won't be responsible for a lack of oxygen in your circulatory-system. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_(circulatory)

It's really hard  for me to discuss this in a foreign language and I'm not sure about the terms, too, but I guess, that your DayZ-Theroies doesn't have anything to do with RL-Medics. 

But if this:

"You can lose as much blood as you want, it doesn't correlate to shock levels."

Is a confirmed Game-mechanic, I'd be just bullshit. 

What likely happened wasn't a hear attack. I am guessing he didn't follow Well Fed William's Rules of Healthy Survival!

1. Eat all of the food you find, when you find it. Save only two cans for patients.

2. Drink as much water as possible whenever you can.

Being a DayZ glutton is ok and even encouraged. When you eat food, it is digested into energy. So it doesn't matter when you eat it. So if you have a lot of energy and water, you will regenerate health naturally.

Most likely, he

A. Didn't feed himself enough, and thus in his hardened DayZ life, started taking damage. His screen began to get blurry as he lost health, and thinking it was a bug disables the option in video. He likely thought he was fine and just needed blood, so tried to attack the zombie.

or

B. Did not protect his head, and was hit very hard by the zombie directly in the cranium, spiking his shock levels WAAAAAAAY above his blood level, giving him a very severe heart attack. He would be dead in minutes without medical personal on standby.

What likely happened wasn't a hear attack. I am guessing he didn't follow Well Fed William's Rules of Healthy Survival!

1. Eat all of the food you find, when you find it. Save only two cans for patients.

2. Drink as much water as possible whenever you can.

Being a DayZ glutton is ok and even encouraged. When you eat food, it is digested into energy. So it doesn't matter when you eat it. So if you have a lot of energy and water, you will regenerate health naturally.

Most likely, he

A. Didn't feed himself enough, and thus in his hardened DayZ life, started taking damage. His screen began to get blurry as he lost health, and thinking it was a bug disables the option in video. He likely thought he was fine and just needed blood, so tried to attack the zombie.

or

B. Did not protect his head, and was hit very hard by the zombie directly in the cranium, spiking his shock levels WAAAAAAAY above his blood level, giving him a very severe heart attack. He would be dead in minutes without medical personal on standby.

or maybe a bug...  ^_^

i think shock level is not correlated directly to blood loss (i am not saying it can't be, but it acts like its own value). meaning has your screen ever flashed grey but you are not bleed or wounded? i believe that is what affects shock value. if that is in fact the case. then this theory could be true. 

if this video is true then if you go over 5k shock you will have a hearth attack.

Edited by hippocrates311

Rocket talked about heart attacks in detail in Sacriel's stream. So you don't really need a 'theory'.

I even put it to the time he starts talking about it:

http://youtu.be/0PExkBTofho?t=8m53s

Thanks, this saved me finding which video it was mentioned and linking it. Why have theory when you can hear the plans out of the horse's Rocket's mouth?

He doesn't really mention how you get heart attacks just says the obvious that if you are over 5k shock you will have one. but how do you get there?

Edited by hippocrates311

He doesn't really mention how you get heart attacks just says the obvious that if you are over 5k shock you will have one. but how do you get there?

To have over 5k shock, it would have to be a very traumatic accident.

This could include breaking your legs and being shot, but I don't have exact numbers on this. Testing is needed.