theblueone

DayZ after the CoD kids

^Title. As someone who played the mod since 1.7.2.5 through to 1.7.7.1, I'm near speechless. It saddens me as to what people made out of this mod.

Wanting to play the mod again after a long break, I try to find me a populated server using DayZ Commander. I'm having a hard time, and it pretty much puts me off seeing all these ridiculous, "easy mode", so not DayZ servers. 

xIJn.png

Freaking Wasteland with zombies.

Edited by MrB

This is one of the reasons why i'm against Private hives, it really ruined the experience.

• Like 3

This is one of the reasons why i'm against Private hives, it really ruined the experience.

There is a really simple solution to your whining. Don't play on private hives you don't like. Done.

This game is going to be modified, there will be spin-offs, there will be private hives with varying amounts of loot, there will be a hundred variations on the game in two years time, if not more. Modability is how this game was made. It is how small developers create new experiences with limited budgets. Get off your high horse and just play where you find enjoyment.

OP, we play on US3480.  It's the only vanilla server running on the public hive that we know of that maintains consistent population.  Very good mix of survivors, bandits, and heroes on this server.  Quite a few new players to because of the Humble Bundle Arma 2 package that brought a lot of new people to the game.  I recommend you go there for the original DayZ experience!  

b_560_95_1.png

There is a really simple solution to your whining. Don't play on private hives you don't like. Done.

This game is going to be modified, there will be spin-offs, there will be private hives with varying amounts of loot, there will be a hundred variations on the game in two years time, if not more. Modability is how this game was made. It is how small developers create new experiences with limited budgets. Get off your high horse and just play where you find enjoyment.

So many things wrong with your reply.  Sadly, while private hives did save DayZ from the hacking problem, it later devolved into a really bad popularity contest of who has the most modified server settings, and IMO it did ultimately ruin DayZ.  Mods are fine, though I think the Dev community should have put much more focus on making distinctions between DayZ, public vs private servers, and mods of DayZ.  You may argue that you can filter with DayZ Commander, but it is incredibly confusing to new players.  A large number of players that picked up the game mid 2013 had no idea they were playing heavily modified versions of the game.  It's not as easy as "play where you find enjoyment" when server admins gone mad change the entire face of the game and vanilla servers fall victim to the out of control campaign promises of "COME PLAY HERE WITH TONZ OF GEARVEHICLESCHOPPERSWEAPONS!!!!!@#!#@#$"  I run into a lot of people that want to just play plain old DayZ as Dean created it, and truth be told it is near impossible to find that game anymore.  People interested in this experience have to either find US3480 on the mod, or sit and wait until the Standalone is further developed.

Edited by Bullet_Catcher
  • Like 1

You have to realize, that vanilla DayZ has REALLY died out in the mod. And who said I was whining, it was an opinion. Sounds like you're just out for a fight. By the way, SA wont be modified for QUITE some time. 

• Like 1

the problem went down when the dev team stopped controlling the list of official servers and what requirements it should have, then every server started modifying everything.

Another problem is that there's no content in dayz for people not be bored, they end up in a deathmatch when there's nothing to do, and obviously they dont want to waste 3 hours gearing up on a freaking buggy deathmatch.

Dayz origins is the proof that when people have somthing to do, they dont just go mindless apeshit in killing everybody and spending the less time the better on gearing up.

Most origins servers are still kinda hardcore.

You have to realize, that vanilla DayZ has REALLY died out in the mod. And who said I was whining, it was an opinion. Sounds like you're just out for a fight. By the way, SA wont be modified for QUITE some time. 

I do realize that vanilla died, I left vanilla for redux as soon as it was available because I didn't like the AS50 being on every other person and I wanted something more difficult. Vanilla died out because people didn't enjoy it as much as the other mods, which made DayZ stronger, not weaker. The competition added life to the genre, and helps influence the ultimate product that we will see. I specifically said 'two years' because I understand mods are a long way out.

I'm not out for a fight, I just don't agree with you.

So many things wrong with your reply.  Sadly, while private hives did save DayZ from the hacking problem, it later devolved into a really bad popularity contest of who has the most modified server settings, and IMO it did ultimately ruin DayZ.  Mods are fine, though I think the Dev community should have put much more focus on making distinctions between DayZ, public vs private servers, and mods of DayZ.  You may argue that you can filter with DayZ Commander, but it is incredibly confusing to new players.  A large number of players that picked up the game mid 2013 had no idea they were playing heavily modified versions of the game.  It's not as easy as "play where you find enjoyment" when server admins gone mad change the entire face of the game and vanilla servers fall victim to the out of control campaign promises of "COME PLAY HERE WITH TONZ OF GEARVEHICLESCHOPPERSWEAPONS!!!!!@#!#@#$"  I run into a lot of people that want to just play plain old DayZ as Dean created it, and truth be told it is near impossible to find that game anymore.  People interested in this experience have to either find US3480 on the mod, or sit and wait until the Standalone is further developed.

So your argument is that private servers made it hard for new players? Mods are going to happen and the game is going to expand beyond Dean's control... which is exactly why he isn't planning on staying with the project indefinitely. He has said he wants to get the basic game to his liking and then let the team take it from there without his input. That input will ultimately take the form of support for mods, which is what will keep people buying SA and participating in the community.

You are mixing up a lack of development on the mod with the increase in the amount of mods, thanks to the source code being released on github. The mod moved a glacial pace because Dean was working on SA. The mods and servers that kept everyone playing just did whatever they had to do to get players on their servers. The mods kept this game alive while Dean climbed mountains and went to conferences while developing the SA.

Edited by jesquik
  • Like 1

In my personal opinion private servers made it a lot easier on everyone xD Mili start kit, self blood bag, 500 cars, 20 heli's. i agree jesquik

• Like 1