Kmaxx

I dislike the spawn system.

Ok, so here's the deal, I have been playing DayZ for about a week now, and i'm liking it, but one thing that's ticking me off the most is the spawn system. So when I started I wanted to be a normal survivor and not kill other people unless I have to. Try to collaborate with others and form a team and all that good stuff, but after days of getting killed for no reason, being betrayed, etc., I decided not to trust anyone and kill on site. I got a enfield and about 11 mags for it, got some food and drinks, and went to the top of a building in Cherno to just pick people off. After about a half an hour passed, someone spawns behind me and kills me before I can do anything. This happened to me once before already right outside of Cherno along the woods, but I was the one who spawned and someone was right behind me and killed me. It doesn't happen often, but the fact that it happens at all is just too much. It's so damn annoying! I'm not sure about what you could do to get past the problem, but anything to keep me, and i'm sure many others from being spawn killed would be greatly appreciated.

A normal survivor...

Where do all those peoples who think surviving is a kind of non violent hippie stuff come from?

If people are spawning right behind you then you're camping at spawn points. Three things:

1) Don't be a griefer and camp and spawn points

2) If you don't want people spawning around you, don't camp at spawn points

3) Sounds like you're getting what you deserve by camping at spawn points

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds mean. Not trying to be, I just don't understand what you're getting at.

This is the most stereotypical post possible, from the most stereotypical DayZ player possible.

You have to be careful where you camp. Doing it in a building or other place where players tend to hang out is asking for it. If you do camp in such a place go into a small room or put your back to the wall. Basically your just taking a chance.

The other day I spawned RIGHT behind a guy on the third floor of a building. I mean I was three feet away. I put my gun right up to his head and started to pull the trigger. But I turned and ran down the stairs instead. I felt using an exploit like that was beneath me.

I wonder if he even realized I was there once I started moving...:)

who in the world would log out at a f***ing roof? sry mate, but i always run into the woods before logging out, its just logic

of course when you log in at a point where people tend to camp, or camp at that spot, people might spawn on you.... duh

just think before you do something

Get the fuck out of Cherno/The coast, that's the best you can do to survive.

PS: Why can't people spell " kill on sight " right?

Why in the world is everyone bashing this guy?

Seriously. The spawn system is a little off, can't we all admit that?

There have been times when I have logged out of a game to eat dinner, and come back an hour later, only to spawn into a barn, and see guys there, of course I killed them considering they had weapons and I didn't want to risk it (considering we were WAY up North) but I felt horrible afterwards considering that guy was probably just passing through and I ruined his day.

Have you guys no thoughtful bones in your bodies?

A guy who is at the top of the clock tower sniping people shouldn't be taken down by a guy SPAWNING IN, he should either be counter sniped or someone WORK for the kill. Not get lucky with their spawn placement...

A normal survivor...

Where do all those peoples who think surviving is a kind of non violent hippie stuff come from?

Why do all bandits think that surviving is like a CoD deathmatch?

These are the questions we have no answers to :D

Seriously. The spawn system is a little off' date=' can't we all admit that?

[/quote']

A little off? No, its fucked. What probably happened to our noob friend up there is that he shot someone and pissed them off so they server hopped to get behind him, that is an exploit and it shouldn't be possible in the game.

Okay, first off: There's a difference between spawning and logging in. You're frustrated that location is saved and players can get blitzed by new players logging into the server. That's a legitimate concern.

Probably the best way to avoid this issue is to keep moving. Don't camp, just scavenge, kill, survive. Since you're posting on the suggestion board instead of in the General Chat about gameplay, we'll assume you consider camping to be an important part of playing Day Z.

Which brings us to actually addressing the issue. As mentioned above, this is something that could be exploited by less-than-honorable players, and as camping has been assumed to be an integral aspect of gameplay, it's a frustration a lot of people are going to suffer. So! Since server-hopping is an exploit and is being dealt with separately, let's focus on players logging in close to other players.

One possible solution would be for a player's body to manifest before the player is ready to take control, forcing players to disconnect at safe locations. If this was accompanied by an auditory cue, it would alert nearby snipers/campers/etc. The problem is, if the player does not know about this mechanic, then the average person is at a great disadvantage, and you'll run into a lot of complaints along the lines of, "I logged in and was dead."

To the OP: There's a huge difference between killing people on sight out of paranoia and picking people off from the top of a building in Cherno with an Enfield. You're playing a legit bandit (assuming you take their stuff) or sociopath (if you're just doing it for kicks).

I think it shouldn't be possible to spawn in cities or other loot areas. How many times I've been in Stary's military camp, spent 20 minutes to make sure no one is around and then have someone spawn inside a tent and kill me. It should be possible to take control of the areas, without having to worry about someone just spawning in and killing you and your team mates. I don't really know what could be the best alternative, maybe you can only spawn in forest, near those cities/loot areas. Or there could be system that prevents you from spawning in certain radius of players. These could be exploited in some ways but I still think that the upsides beat downsides.

I think it shouldn't be possible to spawn in cities or other loot areas. How many times I've been in Stary's military camp' date=' spent 20 minutes to make sure no one is around and then have someone spawn inside a tent and kill me. It should be possible to take control of the areas, without having to worry about someone just spawning in and killing you and your team mates. I don't really know what could be the best alternative, maybe you can only spawn in forest, near those cities/loot areas. Or there could be system that prevents you from spawning in certain radius of players. These could be exploited in some ways but I still think that the upsides beat downsides.

[/quote']

You seem to be a bit confused about how this game works. Players ONLY spawn on the coast (like right on the beach). If someone appeared near you anywhere else they did not spawn next to you. YOU were standing on the spot where they last logged out of the game and the next time they logged in, well, you know the rest.

This is also a problem because people are gaming the system. They will get to a desireable area and then log out, join a different server and then log back in. You can understand the problems this can present and it is generally referred to as Server Hopping.

Please understand the difference between Server Hopping and Spawning. They are two entirely different things. Whenever someone spawns they will only spawn ON A BEACH, with no weapon. Any other time a player joins the game they are simply logging back into their current character in the last place they had logged out.

SystemiK: In this thread, players have been using "spawn" to designate the player's character being manifested in the mission, not necessarily a new character. I don't like the terminology either, but try to read their posts with that in mind.

If people are spawning right behind you then you're camping at spawn points. Three things:

2) If you don't want people spawning around you' date=' don't camp at spawn points

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds mean. Not trying to be, I just don't understand what you're getting at.

[/quote']

What's making you think i'm camping spawn points? Did you even read my post? I'm talking about people logging back on to their character (spawning).

' pid='182522' dateline='1340531613']

who in the world would log out at a f***ing roof? sry mate' date=' but i always run into the woods before logging out, its just logic

[/quote']

I didn't log out on the roof, I climbed up to the roof...and the time it happened to me before I logged out in the woods, but that didn't matter apparently.

A guy who is at the top of the clock tower sniping people shouldn't be taken down by a guy SPAWNING IN' date=' he should either be counter sniped or someone WORK for the kill. Not get lucky with their spawn placement...

[/quote']

My point exactly.

Okay' date=' first off: There's a difference between spawning and logging in. You're frustrated that location is saved and players can get blitzed by new players logging into the server. That's a legitimate concern.

Probably the best way to avoid this issue is to keep moving. Don't camp, just scavenge, kill, survive. Since you're posting on the suggestion board instead of in the General Chat about gameplay, we'll assume you consider camping to be an important part of playing Day Z.

Which brings us to actually addressing the issue. As mentioned above, this is something that could be exploited by less-than-honorable players, and as camping has been assumed to be an integral aspect of gameplay, it's a frustration a lot of people are going to suffer. So! Since server-hopping is an exploit and is being dealt with separately, let's focus on players logging in close to other players.

One possible solution would be for a player's body to manifest before the player is ready to take control, forcing players to disconnect at safe locations. If this was accompanied by an auditory cue, it would alert nearby snipers/campers/etc. The problem is, if the player does not know about this mechanic, then the average person is at a great disadvantage, and you'll run into a lot of complaints along the lines of, "I logged in and was dead."

To the OP: There's a huge difference between killing people on sight out of paranoia and picking people off from the top of a building in Cherno with an Enfield. You're playing a legit bandit (assuming you take their stuff) or sociopath (if you're just doing it for kicks).

[/quote']

I believe camping plays a big part in DayZ, if I want to be a sniper, am I expected to run around on ground level finding people to snipe? Also, i'm not sure about what they could do to get around it. Yes, I would consider myself a bandit, it's the funnest way to survive for me. I kill people and take their stuff, and I don't have to worry about trusting people and being backstabbed later.

If you want to play a sniper, do what a sniper does if he is working solitary.

Change your position after shots. Don't sit there going "Trololol - nailed another one".

Because then the same might happen to you - through exploit or just good play - and then someone else gets the LOLZ. And you deserve it.

Aside from the fact that I hate people that camp and snipe without any reason... ;)

Whenever you end a suggestion post with "...I'm not sure what can be done about it..." just don't post it in here. Post it in general discussion.

This is a complaint, not a suggestion.

2) If you don't want people spawning around you' date=' don't camp at spawn points

[/quote']

You do realize he is being killed by players who logged on and not the ones that respawn after death ?

So all in all your post is useless.

we'll assume you consider camping to be an important part of playing Day Z.

Which brings us to actually addressing the issue. As mentioned above' date=' this is something that could be exploited by less-than-honorable players, and as camping has been assumed to be an integral aspect of gameplay, it's a frustration a lot of people are going to suffer.

[/quote']

You could argue that camping is almost as much an exploit by less honorable players as server hopping to catch the camper. Camping only works because the camper knows that there's stuff people will want nearby and that they will know that too and turn up to be shot at. I don't think in an actual zombie apocalypse (due real soon I'm sure) my tactic would be to set up on roof with a can of beans in the building opposite in my scope so I could shoot at the first passing stranger with the munchies.

My suggestion would be make camping more of a challenge. You could, say, arrange that a player in a more or less static position loosing off rounds and dropping bodies is going to attract zombies to the area and eventually get on their radar. The attraction of hanging around with a sniper rifle to shoot people with hatchets would doubtless wane when most of the ammo is burnt through fending off the horde.

My suggestion would be make camping more of a challenge. You could' date=' say, arrange that a player in a more or less static position loosing off rounds and dropping bodies is going to attract zombies to the area and eventually get on their radar. The attraction of hanging around with a sniper rifle to shoot people with hatchets would doubtless wane when most of the ammo is burnt through fending off the horde.

[/quote']

This needs its own suggestion thread. It would be VERY interesting if an enormous horde of zombies slowly converged on people repeatedly firing from the same position over a long period of time. It might be impractical to code, but it would definitely ramp up the gameplay. I love when AI behaves interestingly.

There is a simple fix for this. When you log in, all of the loot laying on the ground within 500m of you is despawned and the spawn timer for the area is reset. People will still be able to sit outside of loot zones and server hop, but they will have to deal with the zeds around the spawns on each server they switch too. Also, the disappearing loot will alert players already in the area.

Alternatively, you could add a server wide message stating what area a player is in when they log in. IE: ServingHoppingChodaMaster has entered Novy Sobor, or SuperEpicMasterWoodsMan has entered Chernarus Wilderness.

Edit: The server wide message would read the same as the messages you get when you log in. So, if you're not in a town, your location is still anonymous.

There is a simple fix for this. When you log in' date=' all of the loot laying on the ground within 500m of you is despawned and the spawn timer for the area is reset. People will still be able to sit outside of loot zones and server hop, but they will have to deal with the zeds around the spawns on each server they switch too. Also, the disappearing loot will alert players already in the area.

Alternatively, you could add a server wide message stating what area a player is in when they log in. IE: ServingHoppingChodaMaster has entered Novy Sobor, or SuperEpicMasterWoodsMan has entered Chernarus Wilderness.

[hr']

Edit: The server wide message would read the same as the messages you get when you log in. So, if you're not in a town, your location is still anonymous.

There are far more elegant solutions than vaporizing all the loot within half a klick. Also not a fan of the server messages.

What do they do about this in games like WoW when a whole clan spawns in somewhere in a PvP zone? Do they just let them wreck whatever player they spawned in on top of?

[/quote']

I don't think you understand what he is saying. In this game lets say I see a guy at the top of a tower sniping me....all I have is an axe...I could.....

A. run around to find a gun and try and shoot him ...or

B. log onto a low pop server climb the tower he is on, then leave and go back to the original server and be standing right behind him.....then axe him in the face before he gets out of his prone snipe position....

The solution is simple they need a weigh point spawning system that spawns you at a location you choose after you have placed the marker....it should not allow you to spawn inside any buildings and should be wiped on death. It could also have a cool down timer of 10 minutes or so so it couldn't be abused.

D/Cers would still be able to use it as an escape tool but the 5 seconds of their body staying in game after they Alt F4 should give you enough time to shoot them and if not you can report them for a perma ban so either way I think this is the most elegant solution.

Maybe for spawning in they could impliment a ghost run system. You spawn in as ghost form. No-one can see you. You can not see anyone already spawned in. The game then inhibits you from logging in if you are within a certain distance of another player. So you would essentially have to run around until the game allows you to log in. Maybe put a 3 minute timer for you to find a spot or you get sent back to where you originated from.

They would also have to initialize a grouping system so that you could spawn near teammates.

What do you think?