Sign in to follow this  
solartrix

scenario servers

DayZ is an awesome sandbox game, but I'm concerned that just running around and gearing up a character is going to get old after a while...  WHAT IF you could sign onto a special server that was running a special scenario?  

I've put down a few ideas below.  But to make them work, you might need to tweak how the game behaves on these servers.  For example, perhaps no respawns?  The server populates the map with X many weapons, backpacks, foodstuff, etc and that's it.  Or perhaps the characters never really log out... You're stuck on that server until you either die or quit (and imagine if your character still burned energy and water while they slept...)  Or Zombie bites are way more infectious, or the servers are locked an hour after game start to keep folks from hopping in later...

Here are some ideas for scenarios:

Last man standing.  Be the last survivor out of X many players.  By any means necessary.       

14-Day Nightmare.  You must survive 14 days with no respawns.  The server randomly generates gear, food, wildlife, berries, zombies (lots and lots of zombies) at the kickoff of the scenario and that's it.  You must figure out how to survive for 14 days.  

Russian Invasion.  Play as either one of 80 survivors starting as fresh spawns or one of 20 Russian troops, fully geared, with orders to kill everyone on the island.  Give the survivors a can of beans to start, but give the soldiers weapons, gear, ammo and even working vehicles and night-vision gear to start.   

Escape.  The goal is to build a working radio tower out of materials and parts you find on the island, broadcast a signal, and get picked up by a helicopter.  Before you get eaten by zombies, die of starvation, or killed by another player...  

But why do this to yourself, you ask?  One, for the challenge of it, two, for something new, and three, perhaps for the bragging rights?  Was thinking that as a reward for winning or completing a scenario your account gets access to a special tattoo that you can display on all future characters, showing that your a badass and all that.  And if you really want to get into tattoos, you could have one for doing a scenario "cleanly" and another for doing is a bit on the "bloody" side.  If you know what I mean...  :-)

Anyways, give it some thought and please, no knee-jerk flames.  I'm not advocating we do this across ALL servers, just a few special ones.  

• Like 2

All good besides tattoos, instead of that I would suggest steam achievement or something similar, nothing that will make you stand off in a game :)

IIRC Mr. rocket said there will be modding allowed when it is finished. This sounds like sth. to be considered then. Beans for you if you make it happen then... :)

Sounds pretty interesting, I'm in for this

O look, it someone who actually has good ideas for new server types.

IIRC Mr. rocket said there will be modding allowed when it is finished. This sounds like sth. to be considered then. Beans for you if you make it happen then... :)

Oh I'd love to make it happen...  Have they said anything specific about modding?  I know you can host your own servers, but beyond that...??