Sign in to follow this  
frodevil

The problem with PvP in DayZ

People say that a bandit killing a survivor is PvP, but it's not. Player versus Player implies that they are versing eachother, but this is not true. Survivor players aren't attacking anything. It's basically like a sports game where one team can't win because they don't have an objective (survivors) but the other team DOES have an objective so they're the only one who can win.

Better example of why it's not proper PvP: Herbivores vs. Omnivores.

Omnivores are bandits and Survivors are Herbivores. The reason it isn't fair is because Bandits can "eat" whatever they want (by having the choice of scavenging or killing other players) whereas Survivors can't (they can only get resources by scavenging).

To fix this, I suggest giving some sort of advantage to being a Survivor, such as a higher chance of finding the certain ammo type that you use with your primary/secondary guns. For example:

Survivor has a Winchester 1866

Chance of finding Winchester ammo increases by 10%

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that there is no 'risk' to being a bandit because dead players can't fight back.

Nop.

Leave the game as it is now.

There are no more "bandits", everyone is a survivor, it's just that some people decided to take a different road. People should never be penalized for their choice of gameplay.

"Bandits are OP" thread #9541374141

Why can't any of you be creative? It's just the same regurgitated posts.

Yeah, give them the better chance of finding good loot so that bandits will have a better reason to kill them.

No. What you're forgetting is that the survivors still have an objective: survive. You don't have to kill people to survive. Avoiding them, however, is recommended.

Nop.

Leave the game as it is now.

There are no more "bandits"' date=' everyone is a survivor, it's just that some people decided to take a different road. People should never be penalized for their choice of gameplay.

[/quote']

Yeah, this pretty much goes completely against Game Theory 101.

If a player comes to two roads, and one road is full of money and beautiful women and the other road is filled with , obviously everyone is going to pick money and women.

Imagine if in Starcraft the Terran were ridiculously OP compared to the Protoss and Zerg. As in, a player playing as the Terran could beat the best Starcraft player ever playing as Protoss/Zerg. Who would ever want to play anything but Terran?

And a game where everyone does the same thing will fail.

I kill other players, guess I'm a bandit and my objective is to kill you?

Well, you got an objective now, kill me first.

So many very young teenagers playing this game that get frustrated and come to the forums and cry - this is what makes killing people so satisfying.

Yeah, I'm a thrill killer, going to cry about it?

You'll only ever be safe if rocket decides to sanitise the game and remove PvP, til' then, better learn to survive Bubba.

"Bandits are OP" thread #9541374141

Why can't any of you be creative? It's just the same regurgitated posts.

Uh no, What I'm saying is that there is no reason to not be a bandit in this game as it's completely beneficial in every way.

It's basically like a sports game where one team can't win because they don't have an objective (survivors)

Okay' date=' Sherlock. They made it easy for you. They put the bloody objective right in the name. It's right there. You are literally CALLED your objective and you didn't puzzle it out?

The reason it isn't fair is because Bandits can "eat" whatever they want (by having the choice of scavenging or killing other players) whereas Survivors can't (they can only get resources by scavenging).

As it turns out, anyone can do anything they want in the game regardless of what silly, binary, black and white, artificial labels you slap on their behavior. Everyone is free to do whatever it is they find most amenable and effective to ensure their survival.

And I'll give you a super big hint: if one of your objectives is not to kill the people who are actively trying to kill you, then you are going to fail at DayZ in a pretty big way. What is your strategy going into a PvP situation if your "Survivor" nametag somehow forbids you from killing another player? Are you just going to roll around on your back like a flipped turtle shouting "Friendly!" and hoping the person goes away?

To fix this, I suggest giving some sort of advantage

Ooooo. Let me stop you. Let me just stop you right there. Really. No. Just, no. Stop. Now.