Sign in to follow this  
Comrade_

Low GPU Power % for DayZ ( Nvidia 600 series cards )

I've wen't from a GTX 570SC, in which on generally all low/disabled settings getting around 30 fps in say, Electro, to now a GTX 670 FTW 4GB version with literally the same frames.

Why? The game isn't demanding anything of my card, which is odd. Under EVGA precision, you can see the power % being used. This game with the 670, and I'd assume the same for the other versions, is using around 25-39 % of power. What results is a low clock and terrible frames in games.

I can only assume there is no way around this and that this is a DayZ internal thing. Other games, BF4 ect. use the correct allocated power %, I get to 1150 on my core clock, so I know it's not just me.

Can anyone else with a 600 series card give some input?

Specs below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i7 4770 @ 4.0ghz

8GB DDR3 

GTX 670 FTW 4GB

Samsung 128 GB SSD

Edited by commie

DayZ is more closely tied to CPU performance than GPU, hence the lack of an increase with the upgrade of your graphics card. There is no way around this ATM and I'd go as far as saying that there probably won't be until there is a major fundamental change within the RV engine.

TBH, those terrible frames in game are the best you're going to get. Remember this isn't a FPS engine at its core, and so was never intended to return the top end figures for frames. The reason the RV engines are more suited to games like DayZ and the ArmA series in general, is the CPU intensive 'per frame' computations that are happening behind the scenes.

I would like to see a complete reworking of the RV engines from the ground up with provision to really push the power that is available in the modern PC, but that's a project that would take considerable time and effort to get right. BI aren't one of the big boys in the industry and may not presently have the resources to undertake such a journey.

ON TOPIC: I've only got a 560 Ti and am getting between 17~25 FPS in major towns, but I'm also using a late model AMD CPU, so YMMV.

Edited by DJPorterNZ

DayZ is more closely tied to CPU performance than GPU, hence the lack of an increase with the upgrade of your graphics card. There is no way around this ATM and I'd go as far as saying that there probably won't be until there is a major fundamental change within the RV engine.

TBH, those terrible frames in game are the best you're going to get. Remember this isn't a FPS engine at its core, and so was never intended to return the top end figures for frames. The reason the RV engines are more suited to games like DayZ and the ArmA series in general, is the CPU intensive 'per frame' computations that are happening behind the scenes.

I would like to see a complete reworking of the RV engines from the ground up with provision to really push the power that is available in the modern PC, but that's a project that would take considerable time and effort to get right. BI aren't one of the big boys in the industry and may not presently have the resources to undertake such a journey.

ON TOPIC: I've only got a 560 Ti and am getting between 17~25 FPS in major towns, but I'm also using a late model AMD CPU, so YMMV.

I semi-agree, but I've already looked at those with similar systems. Those on the 700 series are getting a larger power % with their cards, and they're getting higher frames. I'm talking high settings  and getting 60+ FPS. There is undoubtedly an issue with this game and 600 series. Having a 560 and 570 and myself now with a 670 shouldn't be getting equal frames.

Arma 3 does better as well, so while I agree in some aspect about the engine and CPU driven, I think there is something else at work here. I'm using a latest gen haswell so I should be fine on that end. 

The power % the card is getting for the game is what is killing me curerntly.

You may want to go for the higher texture settings, this should get the engine to offload some of the work from the CPU to the GPU. It's kind of a backwards engine that way... push the graphics harder and you may see better frame rates. Have you done the .cfg tweaks?

I5 750

gtx660sc

16g ddr3

Edited by kuma8877

You could get a GTX 780 Ti and see no differnece in frames, simply because the scene is not limited by the GPU.

You may want to go for the higher texture settings, this should get the engine to offload some of the work from the CPU to the GPU. It's kind of a backwards engine that way... push the graphics harder and you may see better frame rates. Have you done the .cfg tweaks?

I5 750

gtx660sc

16g ddr3

Haven't tried any .cfg tweaks. Are there specific ones you are referring to? I'll try to increase the texture setting to see if that helps.