Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Goner

How I Fixed FPS

I'm not the one with bugged items my friend is and his items are not flickering

me too never had any flickering items. not in boxes or attachment on weapons. on some server, the texture loading of  items need some more second as normal. but they didnt flickering or still without texture.

THIS IS BS. I played fresh spawn and my fps got more and more choppy as my squad got bigger

What effect has

-world=empty

?

TY

you have no background viedo/szene in the menu where normally your char stands, is then just a white  background.

you have no background viedo/szene in the menu where normally your char stands, is then just a white  background.

Just to add to that, it also lets the game actually load its data when your character enters a server, instead of before the menu screen pops up.

Doesn't really solve anything, but it does make starting the game a helluva lot faster...

Sorry, I mean no offence, but to me that looks really retarded. A really bad troll try that makes no sense.

Today I randomly started having serious FPS problems. My average FPS is 60-100 FPS on high settings but today it just broke.

All I had to do is insert these lines in the launcher.

-nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=2047 -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=4

I use a 7870 + 3570 + 8GB setup. Back to 60-140 FPS.

I don't see how pre-patch gear could possibly affect performance.

Thats because you have no clue what your talking about. Short version: Corrupted datafile

Edit Long version:

The problem was with an optimization regarding strings. We have been removing the way ArmA traditionally handles strings to have it deal with a string-bank instead. This means instead of comparing a string (which is really just an array of numbers), it only needs to compare a number (very easy for a computer).

There is a string type in engine which should hold a string-bank of unique strings, thus it can compare two strings just by comparing pointers to buffer. That's what the optimization we made relied on. Unfortunately there is a bug with it, and it is possible that two exactly the same strings can exist at the same time and the compare just fails. That's why sometimes are the same textures reloaded all over and over again for some things in the world causing absolute chaos to rain on the GPU.

You still dont know what your talking about.

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 1

Thats because you have no clue what your talking about. Short version: Corrupted datafile

Except that, oh dear... 30 seconds freshspawned on the coast (somewhere between Berezino and ship), on an EMPTY FRESHLY RESTARTED SERVER... 

What's that? Lag?

Oh my... looks like your bs theories just got shot in the crotch...

Worked for me....running great. But I did die eventually - so if it was only Pre-patch gear, then it is a self solving issue ;) (so to say).

OP has it completely right. Tested through with our group. Although painting the M4 ( apparently one of the items bugging the FPS ) solved it.

Other item we checked being bugged was the tactical shirt black. Using the sewing did not help given it was worn already. so had to be dumped.

Problem is, IF anyone picks it up the FPS problem remains and the "infection" passes onto another player :)

Edited by Hethwill_Khan
  • Like 1

Except that, oh dear... 30 seconds freshspawned on the coast (somewhere between Berezino and ship), on an EMPTY FRESHLY RESTARTED SERVER... 

What's that? Lag?

Oh my... looks like your bs theories just got shot in the crotch...

You could be experiencing other issues. Or a different version of the same bug.

Also it could be lag. The game suffers stuttering and unresponsive character problems because of the way the server and client interact.

You could be experiencing other issues. Or a different version of the same bug.

Also it could be lag. The game suffers stuttering and unresponsive character problems because of the way the server and client interact.

Backpedal more.

I know for a fact that this is a trollpasta. I rolled my hardcore hive character after .34 hit, and his Magpul handguard still fucks up. It's a bad texture, perhaps multiple. Causes a memleak for anyone exposed to it (less than 1km away from the shit item).

I know for a fact that this is a trollpasta. I rolled my hardcore hive character after .34 hit, and his Magpul handguard still fucks up. It's a bad texture, perhaps multiple. Causes a memleak for anyone exposed to it (less than 1km away from the shit item).

I'm not trolling anyone. This fix has helped a lot of people and I clearly stated that I wasn't able to test each individual item so the best bet is just to dump it all and make sure those you play near dump all there gear.

A lot of folks on reddit are saying that the "badly damaged" textures are corrupt and causing the issue, so you could start with those. The other link I posted is just a good general tool for improving FPS.

BTW items that you carry over servers provoke it... across servers... and can affect ALL players in regular or hardcore.

IMO a full reset of the database would solve this once and for all.

• Like 1

To others who think I'm trolling this is Matt Lighfoot working on the issue on reddit. This issue is directly related to pre patch gear and players proximity to it.

Here's the link: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1xbygt/fps_drop_is_caused_by_pre_115106_gear/cfblhwq?context=1

EDIT: Best official bug report I've found: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=8308

Also, Rocket is talking about it on twitter. I'm not trying to be a jerk here but those of you who accused me of trolling and not knowing what I'm talking about need to take time to analytically evaluate things from time to time. Just because something inconveniences you or doesn't fit into your world view doesn't mean it is not a problem. 

Here's where to attach the files that are requested in Matt's reddit comment: http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=8477

Edited by Dr. Goner
  • Like 2

To other who think I'm trolling this is Matt Lighfoot working on the issue on reddit. This issue is directly related to pre patch gear and players proximity to it.

Here's the link: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1xbygt/fps_drop_is_caused_by_pre_115106_gear/cfblhwq?context=1

I was just going to share the same link. I crashed twice this morning and once last night. I'll send my files when I get home today.

• Like 1

I only have pre Patch gear and i dont have any fps problems. The only thing is that i allways spawn with a purlap sack on my head if i join a Server (it doesnt If i throw it away or put it in my backpack) what is pretty nice

I only have pre Patch gear and i dont have any fps problems. The only thing is that i allways spawn with a purlap sack on my head if i join a Server (it doesnt If i throw it away or put it in my backpack) what is pretty nice

I've had pre patch gear without issue when playing alone until I got near another player with old gear. Also, it's not all old gear. For me, it was an m4 butstock that was glitched. You can tell by anything in your inventory flickering.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

OK, here's how I finally fixed my fps issue.

1. You have to get rid of any pre patch gear. I decided to just remove everything from my current character and leave it under a tree. You DO NOT want to give this gear away. It will cause problems. 

Get rid of pre patch gear... no problem.  went to a rock face lagged, to my death.  I couldn't get back to my body in the 10 minutes alotted, all my pre patch gear gone.

It sucked... the game was running fine until I got onto that rock and lagged off.

EDIT:  I was running with 2 people yesterday who had pre-patch gear, no problems at all.

Edited by ThePieKing

Seems like what they found, and why my fix worked was due to the fact that if you were in proximity to anyone with the same item in the same state as yourself there was general chaos, this is why dumping my gear fixed my problem: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1xibwg/number_1_priority_for_the_dayz_today_10feb14/cfbrt8h

The link I posted originally to the steam FPS improvement topic will also still help to greatly improve FPS.

Haha, i got a character with 90% pre-patch gear and i have no lag, i only had to replace the MP attachments on my M4A1.

Get your facts straight. Its just certain items, and it wont matter if they were acquired before or after patch.

I can't say anything about the gear causing the problem - I don't know. What I have found is that it is seemingly time based. What I mean by that is that I will load the game and start playing with FPS being fine (30 range - which is fine for me i like playing on max graphics) though after around 20-30 minutes this drops to 1-10 FPS.

Tested this a couple of times and always after a certain amount of time it seems to go to shit. *Note* - I play with a friend always so maybe the close proximity is bad?

Anyway I have done all the FPS adjusting graphics related tricks mentioned here and in the steam post but it seemingly has no effect for me... at least not a lasting one. 

Prior to the last patch my game ran perfectly. I have an Alienware m17x with nvidea geforce GTX 680M, quad core with 8 threads etc etc. Though again i dont think its a hardware issue since prior to the last patch everything was perfect. 

EDIT: Since the patch this week they have indeed resolved this issue.

Edited by EroticOstrich

nah.... just going to wait until they will fix it.

i have too much gear on me... dont want to spend dayz trying to collect it again.