R Lee

Bandits and Self Defense

Once the bandit skin was announced, I said to myself "I'm going to smoke any bandit I get a chance to, they must be shitheads to have the bandit skin."

Then something happened. While approaching a small village, I went into one of the 2 door shacks next to the road. Once I got my loot I came out and was shot with a revolver. I didn't see the guy so I rushed around the back which had a little yard that was enclosed on three sides. I layed down in the corner and got my shotgun ready. Sure enough he came creeping around the corner with his pistol at the ready and I shot him. He went down then I pumped a few more rounds in him for good measure. He did not have a bandit skin so I got a murder.

A moment later I noticed "I'M A BANDIT NOW!!" I had a 2520 humanity rating before the incident and something like -660 after the kill.

It took about 1-2 hours to get my humanity back, but I had to be extremely careful about being around ANYONE!!!

I understand that the game can't tell I was defending myself, but it should give you the benefit of the doubt on your first murder? Not only am I now scared of anyone I meet, now I have to worry about being branded a bandit for defending myself.

Is the current system ok with everyone, or could there be tweaks like, it takes 2 murders to be a bandit?

I think the bandit system isn't that great... once you are a bandit you have to go solo, hide in the woods till ur humanity goes up, or partner up with a friend and give them transfusions. People just shoot bandits on sight and if you try to defend yourself, you just lose more humanity... What is a bandit to do :D.

I think there was another thread about this, and there was a poll/vote, I think a lot of people wanted it removed, while some wanted to stay so they know who were pkers.

Being a bandit isn't punishment at all though. It is actually more rewarding since you get camo.

I think it is silly not to kill anybody you see, really. If you don't kill them, chances are they will shoot you in the back 5 minutes later.

I think it's fine - it's a lifestyle choice in Chenarus - If you don't want the skin, don't put yourself in a position to have to defend yourself. Play smarter.

I think it's fine - it's a lifestyle choice in Chenarus - If you don't want the skin' date=' don't put yourself in a position to have to defend yourself. Play smarter.

[/quote']

That's a hardly fair position. I want to play extremely smart, befriend players, spend weeks gathering a friendly group of traveling companions, and then, I want to take them all apart from the inside. Wearing a bandit skin doesn't help my cause any. It's not a choice - if it were, I'd choose to blend in. Nobody in a post-apocalyptic wasteland is going to hold up a sign saying, "shoot me", so why is it forced on players who choose to shoot other players?

What if the other guy is a jerk?!

TKJ

Step 1: Stay away from Cherno and Elektro.

Step 2: Prosper.

Sometimes you have to defend yourself, but I see way too many people hanging around these towns and complaining about being attacked. These places are hives for PKers.

The humanity/skin system seems to work just fine. I treat all bandits as KOS and all survivors as threats.

If you became a bandit at -10k then that would be stupid; no way of knowing who's out death-matching. If another survivor shoots at me from range, I'm more likely to just run away and not take the humanity loss. Players use the term "self defense" a lot of the time when they actually just want an excuse to kill someone and loot their makarov mags.

You know some players don't just shoot everyone in sight.

You know some players don't just shoot everyone in sight.

I tried that, and managed to get burnt every single time. Friendly is just another word for "Stop pointing that gun at me so I can shoot you"

If I see someone, I will shoot them. If I hear their gunshots in the distance, I will camp and kill them so I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder.

Survivors have actually killed me (as a survivor) far more often than bandits have.

I had 11k humanity 2 days ago but now im down to -8000 and it keeps getting lower; survivors shoot at me even if I see them first and say im friendly.

Mind you, the -19000 came from fighting people off at the NW airfield with a group of 11. We were mixed survivors and bandits and couldn't afford to risk letting anyone near us.

"I killed forty five guys on the shoreline in self defense with my M24 from Zug castle while using NVGs.

Being a bandit isn't punishment at all though. It is actually more rewarding since you get camo.

Desert Camo in a Woodland enviroment... Sir you must be a genius...

I wasn't anywhere near the two big cities in the south. I was minding my own business in a tiny village in the middle of the map. If you read my story, I was actually going to run, but when I ran behind the building I was blocked in by concrete walls on 3 sides. That is when I layed down and waited to see if he would come.

He forced my hand, I had no choice at that point. I did't give a rats ass what gear he had, I was loaded to the hilt as it was.

I'm just saying, one single murder shouldn't make someone a bandit.

I tried that' date=' and managed to get burnt every single time. Friendly is just another word for "Stop pointing that gun at me so I can shoot you"

If I see someone, I will shoot them. If I hear their gunshots in the distance, I will camp and kill them so I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder.

[/quote']

this is a pretty nasty and dumbass strategy and only respresents how strange you are...sorry to say this, I only refer this to your style of playing this game, not your real life personality.

Killing everyone just to avoid getting killed is close to be paranoid.

Not every player wants to kill everyone. Most of them just want to discover the Countryside and enjoy the game and athmosphere. Nontheless never trust anyone, which does not mean to kill anybody instandly.

And dont forget, the chance to meet some default survivor who is friendly is way more higher than to meet a survivor who will kill you instandly without warning....these behaviour is attached to bandits.

So stop beeing paranoid and give a little trust in humanity of other players.

Desert Camo in a Woodland enviroment... Sir you must be a genius...

It represents the desert of his bandit soul, man.

Survivors have actually killed me (as a survivor) far more often than bandits have.

This is what I consider bad luck, since I always met friendly players so far.

But I´ve got to mention that I havent been yet in one of the big cities. beeing there might end up in the efect you desribed.

Survivors are the most frequent cause of dying for me (I never shoot first!!!). Made the experience that, if you have weapons better than enfield or winchester, 9 of 10 survivors are going to kill you because of it. Even groups do so. If a bandit kills me deep in the woods far away from everything it´s ok, even if I owned decent items. But, if i greet a survivor and he salutes back and shoot me 1min later in my neck, i often tkink about how sneaky you have to be, to do so...

You should be asked at the beginnig if you want to be bandit or not. if not, you should be unable to kill other survivors or something like that.

At least the best cover as murderer is: Meet with someone with decent weapons as a survivor and kill him. Play another 1-2 hours (hunting,...) till your humanity raised up to normal LVL and you got your survivor skin back and do so again. This possibility shouldn´t be given to players.

So I already like Bandits more than survivors and i´ve never been one by myself except for one short time caused by self defence.That´s because if I see bandits, I actually know they´re going to kill me. Also I don´t want to kill every survivor who´s crossing my way because of misstrust. The only way to pretend this, is the Lone Ranger Way and that sucks after two weeks of playing.

Meet with someone with decent weapons as a survivor and kill him. Play another 1-2 hours (hunting' date='...) till your humanity raised up to normal LVL and you got your survivor skin back and do so again. This possibility shouldn´t be given to players.[/quote']

There shouldn't be a bandit system, pure and simple. IRL, you would NEVER know who to trust, unless you had a predetermined friendship... You should never know where your next bullet is coming from.

TKJ

Survivors are the most frequent cause of dying for me (I never shoot first!!!). Made the experience that' date=' if you have weapons better than enfield or winchester, 9 of 10 survivors are going to kill you because of it. Even groups do so. If a bandit kills me deep in the woods far away from everything it´s ok, even if I owned decent items. But, if i greet a survivor and he salutes back and shoot me 1min later in my neck, i often tkink about how sneaky you have to be, to do so...

[/quote']

Sorry I dont agree with you in some point.

If I meet a person in reallife, so I dont trust her jsut because he said hello to me. Imagine living in a real postapocalyptic scenario, I´d trust noone. And if I´d meet someone I dont know, so I dont turn my back to him until I can be sure he has no intzerets on my gear.

You guys must learn to survive and forget everythings you learned in Arcade CoD Games...this is a real life and social behaviour simulation.

Im curious if killing bandits raises humanity? Or does it lower it?

It raises your humanity, even if you're are a bandit or not.

Im curious if killing bandits raises humanity? Or does it lower it?

It raises your humanity' date=' even if you're are a bandit or not.

[/quote']

Perfect. When I get a hold of this game, im going to be a bandit hunter if I think they are someone that have "earned" the bandit skin

Bandit skin, survivor skin, it's all the same really. You still get shot at if you are spotted, doesn't matter which you wear. Despite the Humanity rating, there isn't any humanity left in Chernarus. The only people that ask "friendly" are the ones who are worried you have the drop on them. The rest of them just shoot as soon as they see anyone. Best not to get spotted, and be in voice chat with friends if you are spotted.