Sign in to follow this  
Bungles

Walling? (bullets penetrating objects)

I did a search and couldn't find anything referring to this.

Can I wall in DayZ? I've had a few instances where I know someones standing behind a door or a wall and I want to wall him but I don't want to waste the ammo or give away my position if it doesn't work. This engine is extremely complex so I hope it will allow for bullet penetration through objects.

"walling" is a term short for "Wallhacking" which refers to a hack that allows you to see enemies through walls.

But I hear bullets penetrate. Never tested it myself.

I know from playing ACE that higher caliber rounds do penetrate walls, but that was from a mounted .50 and I have no idea if that's a feature exclusive to ACE or exclusive to the .50.

@ACE is amazing and you can see the full potential of the Arma 2 engine with it. With the tracer fire you can also witness ricochets and all the ballistics. I don't know which weapons penetrate or which surfaces they penetrate.

Depends I've killed a guy through the wall of a two story tin warehouse looking building. On the other hand the military tents at Stary seem to be bullet proof. YMMV

Bullets go through most walls and floors like butter... Multiple walls, if I'm right.

I've been killed through walls with bullets. Unshure is this is a feature or a bug....

ArmA is designed as a simulator. Bullets go through drywall pretty damn easily. Concrete is a different story depending on the bullet and its velocity, etc.

"walling" is a term short for "Wallhacking" which refers to a hack that allows you to see enemies through walls.

Actually, 'walling', at least in the CS community, refers to shooting at/into a wall in hopes of hitting/killing an enemy on the other side.

i.e. "I just got walled by Ksharp."

Actually' date=' 'walling', at least in the CS community, refers to shooting at/into a wall in hopes of hitting/killing an enemy on the other side.

i.e. "I just got walled by Ksharp."

[/quote']

Walling means the same thing in the COD & DOD communities as well.

I killed a zombie with an m1911 through a wall. It was more like the door frame but it definetly went through.

But I hear bullets penetrate. Never tested it myself.

What shooters are you playing?

Also, the only material I know for sure bullets penetrate is corrugated metal. They don't even penetrate all glass.

Edit: Bullets do ricochet, though.

I always assumed bullets couldn't go through walls since they can't even go through glass.

On the other hand the military tents at Stary seem to be bullet proof. YMMV

I was killed yesterday while I was lying prone in the longer end tents at Stary waiting for another player to come round to the entrance. Not even sure how he saw me, let alone shot me through the tent.

So I can only assume that the green smaller tents are bulletproof but the other larger two aren't :/

I got shot through a wall last night, but it had to be a hacker.

Inside a building in a room with no windows. It took him a good 30 secs to get to my body after hitting me (I was knocked out) and while he is standing next to my body, he shoots someone else outside the building.

ArmA is designed as a simulator. Bullets go through drywall pretty damn easily. Concrete is a different story depending on the bullet and its velocity' date=' etc.

[/quote']

Actually, high powered rifles can shoot pretty easily through concrete in real life.

In this game it's a bit random. On some objects it works, on others it doesn't. Best way to figure it out is to simply try it and memorize what parts can be penetrated by which gun and what parts cannot.

Keep in mind the following. When a bullet penetrates an object (including players) in this game, the bullet's velocy and trajectory will change. This means that after the bullet penetrates, it will do less damage and it might change direction.

About the tents. They are not bullet proof, you can easily shoot through them.

About the tents. They are not bullet proof' date=' you can easily shoot through them.

[/quote']

I learned the hard way, won't make the same mistake next time.

Bullet penetration is modeled in Arma but there are several variables that decide wether a round penetrates through an object and how much damage it does if it does.

- Material

- Type of round

- Distance

There might be more. A search of the Official Arma forum will probably give you some answers.

Rounds fired through and at certain surfaces and objects will ricochet as well and cause damage.