Sign in to follow this  
TREATR

Reserved Slots

I think DAYZ needs to work towards creating a Reserved Slot System.

A reserved slot system will help people that own a server the ability to join their own server, and create slots for members. I've read that many admins have been kicking people from their servers to create room for clan mates. This is unfortunate and at the same time a necessity with the current state of the game.

For example, your server is full, the admin/member can't join their own server. The server that they are paying for. Do you see an issue with this?

From the general player’s standpoint, you may not care for this at all. Until you are kicked from the game for an unknown reason. This frustrating and irritating. This occurred quiet a lot from what I read, during the last game patch. I don't like the fact that servers have to kick random players to make room for admin/members. This gives that server a poor rep and many players may never join that server again as a result. No one wants to kick players, we want players in our servers to play and interact with.

From the server owners/members perspective, you feel that you can't even get the most out of the server if you can't get into your server. There is cost involved with owning a server. Many cost upwards of $80 dollars a month. That's a big chunk of change for a server.

If you are unable to join your server, then what is the point of paying for a server?

Unfortunately, the only solution currently is kicking random/last to join players to make room for members in a "full server".

Please reply with your thought and suggestions

• Like 1

I think DAYZ needs to work towards creating a Reserved Slot System.

A reserved slot system will help people that own a server the ability to join their own server, and create slots for members. I've read that many admins have been kicking people from their servers to create room for clan mates. This is unfortunate and at the same time a necessity with the current state of the game.

Unfortunately, the only solution currently is kicking random/last to join players to make room for members in a "full server".

Agree. A reserved slot system would be very useful. Having this feature built into the game for all servers will become part of the DayZ status quo and be easily accepted by players. Admins will no longer have to kick; the server will automate the kick randomly.

Since there are no PRIVATE servers ATM, your point is moot. As to when we have truly private servers, I don't see this as being an issue.

Hi.

OP if you are suggesting something along the lines of a server has say 20 slots always reserved for owner and his friends/clanmates and another 20 open for whoever joins that seems like a very good idea to me. As long as there is some mechanism in place to stop people from reserving all the slots to turn the server into his own/clans personal loot farm.

However TheEmgee's idea of the server randomly kicking players is terrible imo. Your looting the ATC in NWAF, or a firestaion in elektro when the server decides to kick you to let admins friend in. Wonderful, now your stuck logging into a new server in one of the worst spots. I understand that people pay for the servers(and I thank them big time), but I don't think that gives them the right to ruin the average players experience, at least not until private hives arrive.

Pretty sure there's a reason server hosting rules don't allow you to kick non-abusive players. You do realize kicking people to make space for your friends can actually cause you to lose your server without refund right?

Regards.

Hi.

OP if you are suggesting something along the lines of a server has say 20 slots always reserved for owner and his friends/clanmates and another 20 open for whoever joins that seems like a very good idea to me. As long as there is some mechanism in place to stop people from reserving all the slots to turn the server into his own/clans personal loot farm.

However TheEmgee's idea of the server randomly kicking players is terrible imo. Your looting the ATC in NWAF, or a firestaion in elektro when the server decides to kick you to let admins friend in. Wonderful, now your stuck logging into a new server in one of the worst spots. I understand that people pay for the servers(and I thank them big time), but I don't think that gives them the right to ruin the average players experience, at least not until private hives arrive.

Pretty sure there's a reason server hosting rules don't allow you to kick non-abusive players. You do realize kicking people to make space for your friends can actually cause you to lose your server without refund right?

Regards.

In regard to abusive players.

Is there a way to find out who is using their mic to broadcast abusive language?

For example, is there a way to see who is wall-glitching?

So many questions about who is who in this game.

I fell like the devs copied and pasted the rules from the Dayz Mod. The current state of Dayz Standalone is very different from the Mod. There are only limited ways to identify players in game, i.e. in game chat within a vicinity. There is not a global chat to find out who may be verbally abusing players in our server.

In response to "I understand that people pay for the servers(and I thank them big time), but I don't think that gives them the right to ruin the average players experience, at least not until private hives arrive". My gaming community currently pays for a Dayz Standalone server. We don't aim to ruin anyones experience. Currently we haven't had the issue of joining our server due to full slots (40/40). We have had this issue in the past( post patches/weekends) and most likely will having it again in the future.

As part of the Dayz gaming community, we will adhere to all the rules of the community and run a clean server. The issue is making room for members that pay for a service. In this case the servers fee. If you are unable to get into your own server, then how can you take advantage of that service. We all own the game. We all can play anywhere we like. For the members in my gaming community we like playing together not spread throughout 5 different servers. That was the reason why we bought our own server. Create a place where we can play consistantly.

We aren't talking private hives or anything like that we are talking about current issues.

I hope you understand the perspective I come from on this issue.

I would be for this if the amount of "reserved" slots could be no more than 10% of the server's capacity. Meaning that on a 40 person server, there would only be "four" reserved slots. And it would work less so in that it kicks people and moreso that in it only lets 36 people who are not on this "reserved" list join.

I would be for this if the amount of "reserved" slots could be no more than 10% of the server's capacity. Meaning that on a 40 person server, there would only be "four" reserved slots. And it would work less so in that it kicks people and moreso that in it only lets 36 people who are not on this "reserved" list join.

Why do numbers matter? If you pay $82 a month for a service I would want slots for each of my members that play the game. Reserved slots only would only affect people if the server is full.

Why do numbers matter? If you pay $82 a month for a service I would want slots for each of my members that play the game. Reserved slots only would only affect people if the server is full.

No, because then you could reserve all but one slot on the server, or more than half. Giving your "community" a distinct advantage over those not in it. Even a 50% option would keep a particular clan safe in knowing that HALF the people on a server are in that particular clan. And while I can't assume that you would use this slot reservation feature as what is essentially a means of "pay to win" I can assure you that there are people who would. So as long as your server is connected to the public hive there would HAVE to be limits on how many slots you can reserve.

Edit: I find it a little funny that you ask why numbers matter, and then cite the number of dollars you pay for a service. The context is different, but still.

Edited by Dekartz

No, because then you could reserve all but one slot on the server, or more than half. Giving your "community" a distinct advantage over those not in it. Even a 50% option would keep a particular clan safe in knowing that HALF the people on a server are in that particular clan. And while I can't assume that you would use this slot reservation feature as what is essentially a means of "pay to win" I can assure you that there are people who would. So as long as your server is connected to the public hive there would HAVE to be limits on how many slots you can reserve.

Edit: I find it a little funny that you ask why numbers matter, and then cite the number of dollars you pay for a service. The context is different, but still.

Reserved slots only affect players in the server when the server is full. It's a list of players entered into the servers reserved list. If a reserved listed player tries to login to that server and the server is full, a player is kicked from the server to make space for the reserved slot. A message should come up and say "you were kicked for reserved slot." That easy and simple. I think all players would understand that. I've been kicked from a lot of games in my life for that reason alone. I never had any issue with it because it wasn't my server and I wasn't a part of their gaming community. I was simply a pubber.

We have had up to 15 members on our Dayz server at a time. When we play other games like BF4 we have upwards of 20 members on at a time. Never any issues regarding slots.

All of a sudden a new game comes out and everyone feels entitled to full access and non-kicking policies for clan mates/friends. Seems ridiculous.

Reserved slots only affect players in the server when the server is full. It's a list of players entered into the servers reserved list. If a reserved listed player tries to login to that server and the server is full, a player is kicked from the server to make space for the reserved slot. A message should come up and say "you were kicked for reserved slot." That easy and simple. I think all players would understand that. I've been kicked from a lot of games in my life for that reason alone. I never had any issue with it because it wasn't my server and I wasn't a part of their gaming community. I was simply a pubber.

We have had up to 15 members on our Dayz server at a time. When we play other games like BF4 we have upwards of 20 members on at a time. Never any issues regarding slots.

All of a sudden a new game comes out and everyone feels entitled to full access and non-kicking policies for clan mates/friends. Seems ridiculous.

What validates your feeling of entitlement over theirs? Because you paid money? They paid money for the game, didn't they?

Also, in BF4 playing on a server with just your friends doesn't allow you to go onto another server with a significant advantage and then retreat to said server if you "lose" with said advantage to re-gear

But yeah, this game has rules as to how you can host your server. Rules that you agree to when you decide to put up your server. Getting upset about the rules after you already agreed to them is silly. And if you don't wish to follow the rules? Then wait for private hives.

Also, to further expand upon your BF4 example. Last I checked (BF3) DICE had specific rules for "ranked" servers. As Main-Hive servers are the closest thing Day Z has to "ranked" servers, it's not that radically different.

What validates your feeling of entitlement over theirs? Because you paid money? They paid money for the game, didn't they?

Also, in BF4 playing on a server with just your friends doesn't allow you to go onto another server with a significant advantage and then retreat to said server if you "lose" with said advantage to re-gear

But yeah, this game has rules as to how you can host your server. Rules that you agree to when you decide to put up your server. Getting upset about the rules after you already agreed to them is silly. And if you don't wish to follow the rules? Then wait for private hives.

You seem to me missing the point... Reserved slots. We all own the game. We all can currently join any server. Nothing is password protected or private. Some people rent servers from a GSP. Those people have admin privileges. They can currently kick players off or reset the server. That’s about it in regards to servers and admin powers as of today.

I don't feel like I'm entitled to anything different from any other player.

However from a servers admin/owners standpoint I would like some clarity on how to properly allow clan members/friends into my server when it's full. I personally take no pleasure in having to kick players from the server. We want to represent the game and our gaming community to the fullest. Kicking players isn't a good way to make a name for your clan and for the Dayz community. I think that is plain to see.

But at this point there isn't a system in place to allow for proper server management.

Edited by TREATR

However from a servers admin/owners standpoint I would like some clarity on how to properly allow clan members/friends into my server when it's full. I personally take no pleasure in having to kick players from the server. We want to represent the game and our gaming community to the fullest. Kicking players isn't a good way to make a name for your clan and for the Dayz community. I think that is plain to see.

So basically, you want a system to do the kicking for you. It doesn't change the end result nor does it change the impression made on the person kicked.

It just allows for you to make room for players who contribute to your server thus believe are entitled to a slot over someone who does not. A lack of limitations on said slots also opens up such a system to abuse, as previously stated. If you could come up with a way that both gives you the power you wish AND precludes abuse, I would be happy to hear it.

No one has missed the point. They have just been trying to point out the ability to abuse the system if you allow too many reserved spots.  That will basically allow a clan to setup a loot farming server as every member that joined would kick the current players and some clans could get 40 members on with no competition for supplies.

I understand that people have paid for the server but it is being run on a PUBLIC hive where everyone is basically playing in the same persistent world. This isnt like counterstrike where every server is its own community. Every server on the hive is part of the same community with the same rules.

I would also like to remind you that your server could be reported for kicking players to make room for clanmates as that is against the rules.

As of now all servers are on the public hive. So this idea would have to wait until private hives/servers.

Also, you are not currently allowed to kick people unless they break one of the rules that has been specified.

Any server admin who kicks you for no good reason should have their server reported and hopefully disciplined.

Edited by Skyline-GTR

No one has missed the point. They have just been trying to point out the ability to abuse the system if you allow too many reserved spots.  That will basically allow a clan to setup a loot farming server as every member that joined would kick the current players and some clans could get 40 members on with no competition for supplies.

I understand that people have paid for the server but it is being run on a PUBLIC hive where everyone is basically playing in the same persistent world. This isnt like counterstrike where every server is its own community. Every server on the hive is part of the same community with the same rules.

I would also like to remind you that your server could be reported for kicking players to make room for clanmates as that is against the rules.

You describe a worst case scenario. The idea is to be able to play in your server if it's full = Reserved Slots. As of right now we have to live with the fact that all servers are public. No system is in place to allow members/admin into their servers if the server is full.

No one is talking about loot farming or anything related to that.

What is the difference between servers hoping in the same barrack on 50 servers, and playing on your server and running through the entire map to find things?

My point is we want our members on our server not on other servers. We need a system or a set of rules in place to allow members in our server when it is full. I.e. a prompt for the reason the person was kicked, etc. You can't write down a reason for kicking. There isn't a banning prompt either. There is no way to report a hack or glitcher, etc, 

Reserved slot are used on the majority of massive online games. Not seeing why it would be any different in this one.

Not possible or ethical until you have private hives. As i stated in my previous post which you ignored.

• Like 1