CrimsonOmen

Why no starting weapon incentivizes killing.

So after wanting to play this game for weeks after first seeing some of the funniest gameplay videos ever, I decided to jump aboard the train and play DayZ. Little did I know that you no longer spawn with a starting weapon, food, water, and ridiculous zombie aggro. My main problem that I have come across however, is that without a starting weapon, players who already have weapons are more inclined to shoot you. For many players, including myself, finding a starting weapon can take quite some time. I have died multiple times to players who are already armed and are hunting down players who have no means of defense. There is no repercussion to shooting at unarmed players because they have zero means of self protections. When you start with a pistol, it adds to the whole, I just can't kill every player mentality, because I can actually be SHOT BACK AT. I feel that a starting weapon is vital to how the game should play, mainly for the fact of self defense.

Having a starting weapon actually unmotivates player killer because all players start off with a means of self defense so they is the repercussion factor of shooting another player.

That's just my two cents, I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

News flash: if you start with a pistol, people are just as likely to shoot you.

No gun: 'maybe i'll shoot this guy cuz he can't defend himself'.

Gun: 'maybe i'll shoot this guy cuz otherwise he'd shoot me'.

Next!

killing newly spawned players is pointless, the only reason I imagine some people do it is if they are desperate for the bandages and/or painkillers they carry

killing newly spawned players is pointless' date=' the only reason I imagine some people do it is if they are desperate for the bandages and/or painkillers they carry

[/quote']

People kill to kill. They know that without having anyone shooting back it's an easy target and easy loot.

Never played the game before weapons were taken out.

Thinks it was better back then.

Newbies are going to get hunted with or without makarovs. Just get off the beach, find your friends and survive together. You will be fine. I promise.

Never played the game before weapons were taken out.

Thinks it was better back then.

Newbies are going to get hunted with or without makarovs. Just get off the beach' date=' find your friends and survive together. You will be fine. I promise.

[/quote']

Didn't need to play before to have a simple understanding that defense > defenselessness

People kill to kill. They know that without having anyone shooting back it's an easy target and easy loot.

Exactly, even though the newly spawned player with a pistol may not be able to kill the sociopath, they are going to do enough damage that they will soon be dead if they continually pursue that tactic.

Didn't need to play before to have a simple understanding that defense > defenselessness

Except it's not. It's irrelevant. The people you are worried about don't give a shit if you have a makarov or not. Getting shot back at is actually MORE interesting to them. It changes nothing.

Add starting weapons back in and not only will these people kill you late in the game, they will kill you as soon as they spawn. And when you kill them, they will spam respawn until they're close to you and come back and do it over and over again. It's why they play the game. They will not stop because you have a macaroni.

Just get off the beach, find your friends and play the game. It all works out in your favor trust me.

Exactly' date=' even though the newly spawned player with a pistol may not be able to kill the sociopath, they are going to do enough damage that they will soon be dead if they continually pursue that tactic.

[/quote']

One thing is that maybe the coast being too easy to hunt will prompt the lame side of the gaming community to leave the mod, or go do other things. (Slight chance).

Otherwise I still make a point of finding these individuals and punish them, once they dry up.... new objective time.

Except it's not. It's irrelevant. The people you are worried about don't give a shit if you have a makarov or not. Getting shot back at is actually MORE interesting to them. It changes nothing.

Add starting weapons back in and not only will these people kill you late in the game' date=' they will kill you as soon as they spawn. And when you kill them, they will spam respawn until they're close to you and come back and do it over and over again. It's why they play the game. They will not stop because you have a macaroni.

Just get off the beach, find your friends and play the game. It all works out in your favor trust me.

[/quote']

After trying to act condescending and intelligent on the forums you sure do make some posts that are completely stupid in their content.

You just decided what players find fun, after days of telling other players that each person has his own perspective of fun.

You have contradicted yourself too much in this forum, I believe your goal is just to irritate people by coming off as condescending with no actual true belief in the content of your perspective.

Enjoy your hypocrisy.

You just decided what players find fun

No' date=' I didn't.

You have contradicted yourself too much in this forum, I believe your goal is just to irritate people by coming off as condescending with no actual true belief in the content of your perspective.

Believe what you want. It's nothing to me.

Aren't you the guy who argued with me for 3 pages about how probability works and left when you realized you had been wrong the entire time? Rings a bell...

You just decided what players find fun

No' date=' I didn't.

Believe what you want. It's nothing to me.

Aren't you the guy who argued with me for 3 pages about how probability works and left when you realized you had been wrong the entire time? Rings a bell...

"Except it's not. It's irrelevant. The people you are worried about don't give a shit if you have a makarov or not. Getting shot back at is actually MORE interesting to them. It changes nothing."

Yes, we believe it's interesting, not fun, JUST interesting. (Synonyms of interesting include Entertaining, amusing etc).

Also you were using maths that implied that over an x amount of loot visits you had a 100% chance of encountering x item, obviously incorrect. Rings a bell.

(Also I left due to running out of time and having to head out, something I said earlier in the thread).

Guns don't kill people, people do.

The problem always with these type of games is that it's usually filled with a ton of fucktard griefers and trolls with a monkey sphere of 1 (themselves). They think they have fun by killing unarmed people or newly spawned so they can masturbate over their "t3aRz" and feed their misguided egos, because quite frankly they'd probably fail in any other skill based shooter where the odds are even.

This mod is portrayed to be about immersion and creating your own stories... if those stories are camping with your crappy cz550 or DMR on a hilltop near Cherno or Elektro, fine by me. I'm not the one missing out on the more elaborate situations where there's a couple of groups fighting over resources or loot hotspots, using military style tactics and communication to gain the upper hand over the opposition. Or this one time where our heavily armed group was driving a bus through Cherno, lending a helping hand to less fortunate (random) survivors. We drove them towards looting spots to help them gear up and better their chances of survival and dropping them off on more quiet towns towards the northwest. Eventually another organized group got word of this bus and they set up an ambush, what ensued was this awesome battle that lasted maybe an hour and it included panic, tragedy and some heartfelt emotions not to mention an awesome exploding bus. Probably my best time in DayZ.

What I'm trying to say is that with a slight bit of imagination and roleplay you can make this game so much more interesting and exciting. So whenever the trolls and griefers start hacking their hatchet at my unarmed just-spawned avatar I just facepalm and smile, knowing they probably will never delve into more complicated and fun scenarios as described above and respawn.

Trolls are still trolls.. but things are MUCH MUCH better now, because you need 0.2% of your brain to find a weapon within the first 10 minutes, so we eliminated those 0.1% brain-inactive lobotomized players, that were surprising in a big number! :)

The only thing that bothers me about the whole no gun on spawn thing is that it just doesn't make sense imo. This mod takes place balls deep into the zombie apocalypse. All the major cities have fallen. Mankind has been reduced to just a few survivors. Now how does it make sense that these survivors lasted this long and DON'T EVEN HAVE A GUN? It seems to me that this late into the zombie apocalypse, any one who has survived this long has to be packing some kind of weapon.

Agreed, It keeps puzzling me why on earth would you shoot a unarmed fellow survivor, although I understand the fact that they may become a threat if they manage to find a weapon and start tracking you afterwards.

I never have shot an unarmed player, but I always warn them not to come any closer or I will shoot them, not deadly but shoot in the leg so they wouldn't start tracking me. If they wan't to group up I may let them follow me and even give some supplies, like a pistol and some ammo.

Once I gave a Lee Enfield with 6 mags of ammo and something to eat and drink, after I turned around he shot me in the back, so I'm bit alerted even near unarmed people, they could be carrying a gun in their backpack too!

I managed to get 4 beans 4 sodas, winchester with 4 reloads, a lee enfield, m19 and one murder because he aggroed zombies to me. All this without a starting weapon!

This game is more of a curiosity too many, and went they final find it its basicly running around an empty forest, house's that are nothing more than a graphic take from Arma2 people will lose interest and the server will start to empty.

Load Editor play the map - run around an empty map - DazyZ

You are play the wrong game. I find weapons after running for 1-2 hours looking everywhere.

TWO hours? lol.. in that time you'll have a military weapon with enough mags, a side weapon (1911 or a Revolver at least), half of needed tools (map, binoculars, knife, matches, hatchet, clock, compass, canteen).

If you're completely noob, so you're wasting your time on the cost or such, in two hours you should have AT LEAST a Lee einfield or a winchester and a makarov (with many mags) as side weapon, plus the above "tools" (that are pretty common, except a little the map).

If in TWO hour gameplay you don't have the above, then you must doing something completely wrong!

it takes less than 5 minutes to run north' date=' hit up a barn, and get a winchester/ double barrel/ lee.

i do it every day.

[/quote']

You are play the wrong game. I find weapons after running for 1-2 hours looking everywhere.

Oh and I completely agree with OP. If you have nothing you kill everyone to get smth

completely lost my other msg... however the summary of it was: in TWO hours of gameplay you'll end to have not a makarov.. but a fully military gear! If you spend all that time to find a single weapon then you're doing wrong.

they probably will never delve into more complicated and fun scenarios as described above and respawn.

And yet, they don't allow you to do it either. I think that's the key problem. If someone kills you, your chance of finding the complicated scenario you wanted is now over. People want DayZ to be a complicated and fun collection of scenarios, but then there's a slight, however slight, group of people that do NOT want that, AND have the power to stop you. You, also, have no power to stop them because you haphazardly killing them for fun is all part of their story, but them giving you the finger just so they can laugh isn't in yours.