Sign in to follow this  
TheProphecy

Combine DMR and/or M14 mags into FAL mags

This has been said before, but I'm left scratching my head as to why this hasn't been implemented yet. I found a helicopter crash site yesterday and happened to come across the FN FAL ANPV S4. Awesome gun, but just about useless because it has one clip of ammo and ammo can only be found at another crash site. As if that weren't bad enough, the gun is totally useless on day servers as the scope is stuck in night vision.

FAL and DMR are both 7.62. It is strange how this hasnt been implemented yet.

I agree with this.

FAL and DMR are both 7.62 so it should be implemented.

The L85A2 AWS uses STANAG Mag and STANAG SD Mag which are so much more common than the FAL mag.

I'm pretty much a noob but are the mags identical ?

I agree with the fact that rounds are the same but are the mags the same? I mean the casing of the bullets... Maybe the DMR mags (casing) won't fit in the FAL...

Just a noob question.

I agree with the fact that rounds are the same but are the mags the same? I mean the casing of the bullets... Maybe the DMR mags (casing) won't fit in the FAL...

Just a noob question.

They are the same 7.62 NATO round. In fact you should be able to delink M240 Bravo ammo also as it is the same caliber as the M14 and FN FAL.

Just a noob question.

They are the same 7.62 NATO round. In fact you should be able to delink M240 Bravo ammo also as it is the same caliber as the M14 and FN FAL.

Short answer: no. Long answer: no.

Even the inch fal mags (mags for the britsh L1A1) won't work in a metric FAL (produced by FNH) while metric FAL mags will fit in a british L1A1.

Concerning the magazines: FAL mags are NOT compatible with M1A/M14 magazine well. You'll need a conversion.

Compatibility between magazines has nothing to do with type of ammo. You can't set a G36 mag into an AR15, even if they were designed to shelter the same round. BUT you can charge a 6.5x39mm grendel or a 6.8x43mm SPC into a "stanag" magazine, because these rounds were designed for these magazines.

Again, this has nothing to do with ammo type or caliber, and yet, you don't shoot the same ammo in a M14/M21/DMR/AR10/G3SG1/whatever 7.62x51 marksman rifle (M118) than in a M240/M60 (M80) for the sake of your match grade barrel. Assuming the scoped rifles of Dayz does, it would have no sense at all to allow this.

Just a noob question.

Short answer: no. Long answer: no.

Even the inch fal mags (mags for the britsh L1A1) won't work in a metric FAL (produced by FNH) while metric FAL mags will fit in a british L1A1.

Concerning the magazines: FAL mags are NOT compatible with M1A/M14 magazine well. You'll need a conversion.

Compatibility between magazines has nothing to do with type of ammo. You can't set a G36 mag into an AR15' date=' even if they were designed to shelter the same round. BUT you can charge a 6.5x39mm grendel or a 6.8x43mm SPC into a "stanag" magazine, because these rounds were designed for these magazines.

Again, this has nothing to do with ammo type or caliber, and yet, you don't shoot the same ammo in a M14/M21/DMR/AR10/G3SG1/whatever 7.62x51 marksman rifle (M118) than in a M240/M60 (M80) for the sake of your match grade barrel. Assuming the scoped rifles of Dayz does, it would have no sense at all to allow this.

[/quote']

I know he said "Mags" but he later asked about the diameter of the casing. Also seeing how magazines can be reused, you can just swap the rounds from M14 magazines into a empty FN FAL magazine. What you have said in regard to match ammo/barrels is correct, however the standard FN FAL does not have a march grade barrel. In an emergency you can use delinked M80 rounds in a M24 rifle during the absence of 118LR ammo IRL and given the situation of DayZ I would think one would opt to have a usable weapon, rather one without ammunition, despite long term effects on the barrel.

What you have said in regard to match ammo/barrels is correct, however the standard FN FAL does not have a march grade barrel. In an emergency you can use delinked M80 rounds in a M24 rifle during the absence of 118LR ammo IRL and given the situation of DayZ I would think one would opt to have a usable weapon, rather one without ammunition, despite long term effects on the barrel.

I agree, but this should be set in-game. Of course the standard FN FAL, just like the HKG3, shot M80 ammo (or some belgian/german/whatever counterpart to this round) most of the time, but then, in order to keep things realistic, the developers should add 3 layers of compatibility to the weapons:

can it fire this round?

- does the player have the magazine/clip/amobox to carry the rounds?

- does the weapon performs better with another ammo type, and then

- can we change the ammo we're using in our mags?

So in-game we would need:

- empty magazines to fill with ammo

- boxes of ammo to fill the magazine with

- different trajectory/terminal ballistic effects considering the weapon and ammo type.

I don't know many FPS games that use a system of this kind to manage ammo. It would be particularly annoying for the moderately hardcore player. Just think about the inventory problems, the people who do like to shoot zeds but are not that much into guns... It would be a torture for them. Introducing an automatic magazine reload procedure could be a good idea though.

Furthermore, to adapt these gameplay elements to dayz would require, I guess, a lot of efforts, an I'm not even sure the game engine can take it without being heavily modified.

So yeah, a change on the matter of ammo/guns could be nice, but if it leads to a complete mess in the inventory, It may not be worth it.

can it fire this round?

- does the player have the magazine/clip/amobox to carry the rounds?

- does the weapon performs better with another ammo type' date=' and then

- can we change the ammo we're using in our mags?

So in-game we would need:

- empty magazines to fill with ammo

- boxes of ammo to fill the magazine with

- different trajectory/terminal ballistic effects considering the weapon and ammo type.

Furthermore, to adapt these gameplay elements to dayz would require, I guess, a lot of efforts, an I'm not even sure the game engine can take it without being heavily modified.

So yeah, a change on the matter of ammo/guns could be nice, but if it leads to a complete mess in the inventory, It may not be worth it.

[/quote']

Or you could simplify it with just finding say .... 9mm bullets, then anything that takes 9mm you have ammo for.

Of course, the realism nuts will hate that.

Or you could simplify it with just finding say .... 9mm bullets' date=' then anything that takes 9mm you have ammo for.

[/quote']

This already happens, for the G17 for example, it can take m9 magazines, of course the mags IRL would be different but the game doesn't account for separate ammo-magazine entities, so that will have to do for the time being

Oh and if you are wondering why the M9 doesn't work with G17 magazines, the G17 was introduced in ArmA2 OA, and configured so that it could take the M9 mag, but the M9 was introduced in Arma2 when there was no G17 :)

Or you could simplify it with just finding say .... 9mm bullets, then anything that takes 9mm you have ammo for.

I would.

9x18 makarov isn't the same than 9x19parabellum... Wich is not 9x21 IMI, wich is not 7N31, wich is not the same than 9x19 NATO, wich is not the same than 0.380ACP (also know as 9x17), wich is not 0.38 ACP (!!!) etc. etc.

All these rounds are 9mm handguns ammo, though. But do not try to shoot these rounds into a 9mm gun not designed to shoot it, or you could very possibly hurt yourself in case of a dramatic failure. It happens on a daily basis to civilians and police/military/professional shooters. What about zombie apocalypse survivors then?

In a game where you can break your leg by falling off a 3 meters high wall, this ammo discrimination is not "nuts realism". It is "contextual realism".

Just like it is contextually realist in EvE online to clone yourself in case you're killed.

The better way to avoid these ammo types problems is :

- to limit the type and numbers of available guns

- discriminate the types of ammo they shoot

This can offer new elements of gameplay, for example :

- add a mag pouch where you can see your full and empty magazines (of different types)

- add a "miscellaneous ammo" pouch, where you can stock a set weight or number of different rounds

Then you would have a lot of different guns that could be able to shoot the same ammunition, even if they are not carried in the same magazine.

For example, your makarov rounds could be used in a PP19 bizon. (and suddenly, new horizons appears to makarov owners in DayZ).

Or, as some people pointed out: the 7.62x51 NATO rounds could be used in all the 7.62 NATO weapons.

Without killing every possible realism (CoD-style) this solution would offer a new way to the players to use their weapons and manage their ammo.

One thing that definately needs tweaking is the relative inventory use of guns.

For example -

Winchester shotgun. 15 shells per slot.

Lee Enfield - 10 shells per slot.

Double barrel - 2 shells per slot.

Why the hell am I ever going to take the double barrel and have to fill my inventory with 2 round shells when I can move on to the next building and get a winchester or lee enfield? All 3 kill zombies in a single shot.

One thing that definately needs tweaking is the relative inventory use of guns.

For example -

Winchester shotgun. 15 shells per slot.

Lee Enfield - 10 shells per slot.

Double barrel - 2 shells per slot.

Why the hell am I ever going to take the double barrel and have to fill my inventory with 2 round shells when I can move on to the next building and get a winchester or lee enfield? All 3 kill zombies in a single shot.

The reason for the 2 rounds per inventory slot on the double barrel is Arma 2's design. When you reload a weapon, it has to consume a single inventory item.

MAGAZINES' date=' NOT FUCKING CLIPS!

That is all

[/quote']

Just wait until they implement an M1 Garand and players start referring to it's clips as "Mags".