Sign in to follow this  
dekartz

A potential fix for item respawns

As it stands, items (and zombies) don't respawn because of the strain on the server. I have a pretty basic idea to solve this (at least on the item side). Basically: Keep things close to the way they are, with items only reliably respawning on server-restart. However, when an item leaves the game world by being consumed and/or destroyed, another item randomly spawns in some empty loot-spot. So for example: Someone eats a can of beans they found in elektro. Some similar item (canned food) respawns in an empty loot-spawn in cherno. At least as a temporary work-around it makes sense as it allows a server's performance to remain somewhat 'stable' (in the sense that it doesn't have to handle umpteen items because people are hoarding.

Ways to refine this may be to make it apply only to items looted and consumed prior to a restart (IE: you couldn't eat a bunch of food right after a restart to make lootspawns better). Weapons and such aren't likely to respawn simply because it's rare that you fully "consume" a weapon. (Until you can find them in conditions other than pristine at least)

I'm sure there are a multitude of technological limitations to this idea but I thought I'd field it anyway.

The limitation I see (not beeing a coder) is only one:

Why interrupt programmers who are doing things that will lead to the normal item respawn to make them create and code a whole new system (that is not really necessary, we can test the game anyway) that will be only a temporary one until they finish architecturing the servers, wich is what they were doing before?

Edited by Gugolas
  • Like 1

The same reason anyone comes up with a temporary fix. To keep people happy until an actual fix is available.