autoloon

What is the most important skill to learn to succeed in DayZ?

Upkeeping a few simple but important rules does the trick, you don't need skill.

1. Trust nobody except people that you are certain you can trust such as friends or clanmembers

2. Don't take unnecessary risks, trying to engage somebody with a similar loadout is always dangerous.

3. Working in teams greatly increases survival, having a buddy cover your back whenever you are risking something is invaluable.

4. Whenever possible optimize your cover and concealment.

5. Be alert anything around you, for any irregular sounds you should know how to identify them. Of course looking around as much as possible.

Edited by Ghostflux

Patience, situational awareness, stealth -- these are all great tips and blend into the same kind of principle of not getting caught off guard. I hardly ever spot a player in game crouched and moving slowly from cover to cover, because they are crouched and moving slowly from cover to cover. This movement is sleathy, saves energy, and keeps those pesky zeds from running to you and blowing your cover.

This isn't just for the vets...I am also asking newer players what they think they should focus on to improve.

In my opinion, the most valuable skill I have learned during my time in Chernarus is how to buy time. This is the only way I have been able to overcome multiple threats during a sudden ambush. 

If you are alone and come into contact with a small team, what you do in the first second determines whether you will live or die. Killing one of them immediately is always the best option to improve your situation, but it isn't always the option that is available. Spraying away in their general direction will suppress them and buy you some time to consider your options and get to a better position. It also makes you look like a noob, and can cause your enemy to underestimate you. All you really need is time to neutralize the threat of multiple hostiles. A single player is far less dysfunctional than a rag tag squad of bandits and can coordinate better under pressure by creating confusion. 

Runner up: Patience

Shoot first, shoot often, keep shooting until you run out of ammo, or the threat is removed.

Although I wish it wasn't, KOS is the only valid play style right now.

All other skills are secondary to KOS.

Shoot first, shoot often, keep shooting until you run out of ammo, or the threat is removed.

I completely disagree, I've had various player interactions recently that weren't opened with a fire-fight. I even had two players save my life, at the NWAF of all places.

You have to be oS, to be KoS'd. If you don't see me, this "skill" is totally irrelevant.

• Like 1

Hi.

Without reading the whole thread, my answer to OP would be stealth, followed by your number 2 patience.

I say stealth because when you are good at it, you usually spot others before they spot you. That tends to buy you time to plan your next move. With good stealth skills you can either slip away, or you can follow the other players until they put themselves in a bad position, then as long as you have the right weapon(assuming you know how to aim), it can be fairly easy to take out a group of 3 or 4 players before they even realize where you are.

Regards.

• Like 1