Legacy (DayZ)

The one and only Anti-PVP/PvP Discussion thread! Whine/discuss here!

I will say that it does suck to get shot in the back without even getting a chance' date=' but that's just the nature of the game. Engagements in vanilla Arma and even a lot of other FPS games are like that a lot of the time.

[/quote']

Yes but shooting someone in the back in other games doesn't end hours upon hours of progress for them.

Progress towards what? What is this promised land that you are on a pilgrimage to?

In DayZ it is not the destination, it's the journey... mostly because there is no destination in DayZ.

While I understand the appeal and the thrill of banditry, I think this game is overbalanced towards it at the expense of cooperative gameplay. I fully understand that this is only an opinion, and that others disagree. For me, it boils down to a dissonance between every zombie movie I've ever seen and this game. Zombie movies are about survival, true, but they're also about fortifying a position, protecting others, and preserving humanity in some way, shape, or form.

Sure, in pretty much every zombie movie there are cases where humans kill other humans, but for the most part these are the exceptions rather than the rule. And, when it happens, it's pretty much never just for shits and giggles, but rather self defense or brought about by serious ideological conflicts about how a group is going to survive. It seems to me that PKs in DayZ boil down to either a) self defense (returning fire), b) shoot first killings when an opponent is dangerously close to you), c) a legitimate need for food/water, or d) shits and giggles. The first three I have no problem with (although the food/water thing should pretty much never happen as it's so easy to come by), but the last is, frankly, a drag and seems to happen way to much. People argue that it adds tension, which it does, but to me it also completely breaks immersion as it is a reminder that this is essentially a large-map deathmatch game.

I like DayZ a lot and want it to succeed and grow. I just have worries about its lasting appeal if the balance is not adjusted.

Player hunters have absolutely no punishment for death, they can always rearm at their clan encampments, the survivors they're up against have to start again with a torch. Considering how simple it is to fire a sniper rifle accurately in this game, there is no real point against them. If you succeed, they will be back to near full equipment status within a couple of hours, while if you die, it will take you a day or two to get back decent equipment.

With item storage, there is no real punishment for death for player hunters.

(PS. Increase bullet damage to normal arma 2 pvp values)

You seem to have this big boogeyman persona of bandits' date=' like we all have hummer brigades full of people thirsting for your beans, rolling into combat with anti-material rifles and thermal scopes, armed to the teeth just for the sole purpose of ruining your game. Maybe there is a small percentage of people out there just like what I've described, but is it fair to lump all of us into that category? The PVE crowd doesn't want us to associate them with the quote un quote 'carebears' or 'CoD crowd', but you automatically treat any bandit as some sort of game exploiting blood thirsty asshole.

[/quote']

This is why I can't use the term "Bandit" because it doesn't fit. What you describe is the ONLY people I've run into, aside from the random survivor that's no more than zombie food within the nest 20 minutes. I have yet to run across an actual bandit, just people with a PvP flag and a BFG to have fun. I'm never killed out of some sense of survival, just killed because it's funny.

I agree! I dont think the eventual end to this game is to become a bandit and camp airfields is what the devs had in mind. it was ment to be a coop survival game not BF3 with zombies.

Im getting sick of these assholes pretending to be friendly and killing you.

I still refuse to shoot a player i come across unless they fire at me or pose a threat.

I will never trick another player into thinking im a friendly just to get them to drop there guard and kill them.

Its a dog thing to do, and if you do it your a coward scumbag.

Dont get me wrong PvP is good but dont rely on dirty (cheap) tactics to get your way.

And im sure im going to have alot of people flame me in here.

I doubt it, PK players love people who hold their fire and get upset when they get killed / back-stabbed.

You probably just made a lot of them really happy.

*facepalm* PvP is the goal that you have to reach in this game. Killing mindless zeds isnt any fun at all after a while.

I dont get killed like that anymore cause i play with other people and i stay clear of other players. i just hear alot of these gutless acts all the time.

Yes, the zed's need to be more of a threat and thus encourage co-operation. They're not really very scary once you work out their patterns.

I just think its lame that there is one thread for this as a sticky. It's a central discussion to the game, so to hell with posting comments in this thread as to this general discussion. Lets take it elsewhere, simply too important to isolate.

I just think its lame that there is one thread for this as a sticky. It's a central discussion to the game' date=' so to hell with posting comments in this thread as to this general discussion. Lets take it elsewhere, simply too important to isolate.

[/quote']

You rebel you

You trusted someone you had no reason to trust. You were a fool and the guy who killed you taught you a lesson - it's just a shame it fell on deaf ears, and instead of improving your play; you'd rather whine on the forums about it.

Always have the advantage in DayZ. Your trust should be harder to earn, and when you team up with someone it should be on your own terms, not theirs.

If you're going to be a good guy, you're going to have to be a tough good guy. Can't assume everyone will be running to you with flowers.

I just think its lame that there is one thread for this as a sticky. It's a central discussion to the game' date=' so to hell with posting comments in this thread as to this general discussion. Lets take it elsewhere, simply too important to isolate.

[/quote']

You rebel you

I think it's a solid point. Who's the person that gets to decide what gets isolated in this way anyway? I say we crucify him upside-down.

[/quote']

You rebel you

I think it's a solid point. Who's the person that gets to decide what gets isolated in this way anyway? I say we crucify him upside-down.

The moderator that rocket himself appointed would be my educated guess

You seem to have this big boogeyman persona of bandits' date=' like we all have hummer brigades full of people thirsting for your beans, rolling into combat with anti-material rifles and thermal scopes, armed to the teeth just for the sole purpose of ruining your game. Maybe there is a small percentage of people out there just like what i've described, but is it fair to lump all of us into that category? The PVE crowd doesn't want us to associate them with the quote un quote 'carebears' or 'CoD crowd', but you automatically treat any bandit as some sort of game exploiting blood thirsty asshole.

[/quote']

The thing is that the percentage of people with this sort of boogeyman equipment is far higher than you think. For example, on ANZ 2, of the 65 or so regular players, there are two groups of 6 player NVG wielders, and 1 group of 3 player NVG wearers. They're all constantly controlling, occasionally colluding and occasionally fighting over stary, NE and NW airfield. Each group has massive hidden caches of weaponry/NVGs to rearm in case of death.

The average opportunistic bandit is not a problem in the slightest.

Sadly if you see another player in this game you better sneak away because they will kill you and take your shit, it happens to me all the time. I have thought about changing the way I play and just kill any player I see but for some reason I cant do it. Getting into this game so deep when I see another player I want to reach out to them but I know most will just kill me. Gotta love a game that makes you SO angry when someone shoots you in the back... oh wait I JUST GET MAD THAT I HAVE TO START OVER!

I love that image... doubly so if you watch the making of videos and realize most of the orc's were Maori rugby players in real life.

Sadly if you see another player in this game you better sneak away because they will kill you and take your shit' date=' it happens to me all the time. I have thought about changing the way I play and just kill any player I see but for some reason I cant do it. Getting into this game so deep when I see another player I want to reach out to them but I know most will just kill me. Gotta love a game that makes you SO angry when someone shoots you in the back... oh wait I JUST GET MAD THAT I HAVE TO START OVER!

[/quote']

Im exactly like you, i refuse to change my play style to everyone else. Don't worry your not alone.

It seems odd that most people who I tend to get killed by in this game just shoot you in the back. No talk just kill, like its normal. I find it hard to accept murder as normal... I know its just a game but for some reason getting PK'd in this game really makes me upset. They should know how hard it was to get a full ALICE pack and a good gun... spitting into the wind i guess... it is summer time so i guess all the zit faced kids are having fun taking what others earn.

I communicated with a guy I spotted and asked if he wanted to group up. He said yeah so I took my iron sights off of him, waited for 2 minutes, and he said things like "Yo buddy you still there?" "Where are you lets go get a vehicle." and I went down the ladder and met up with him. As I we ran off towards the main road, he shot me in the back with his silenced mp5. And I died instantly.

The moderator that rocket himself appointed would be my educated guess

To be fair, rocket doesn't appoint moderators. Griff handles Moderators. If you have a problem with the thread then you can easily report it. I don't interact with reports on myself/my own posts unless absolutely necessary.