dashx73 (DayZ)

Loot-able Objects like the Fridge

It's never fun to find loot that looks like this, stuck halfway into a wall or sitting on a bed or locker just out of hands reach with no way to get to it. ..

so I came up with a  solution that I think will create a better environment for dayz.

floating_loot_in_cafe.png

Container Scavenging!

- All of the container type objects currently displayed in the game would be converted to have a "gear menu" and become dispensers for various loot types that are sorted into catagories and found only in certain types of containers. 

STEP 1 - Player See's container and recognizes it as a source for "Food Loot" Walks up to the container and presses the action button.

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_40_25_296.jpg

Step 2 - Sound Plays (rusty old fridge door) Inventory opens and Loot able Items inside container show up in the vicinity column..

( vicinity could be renamed while accessing the container name, in this case it would say "fridge)

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_46_20_202.jpg

Step 3 - Player Drags Items into Inventory and walks to look for next container

Here are some examples of more containers already found in the world,

Imagine all the different loot that could be found in them!

You could find gas cans, the portable stove, and maybe some rotten cooked meat.

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_44_37_471.jpg

Perhaps this sink could be used to refill water bottles? Watch out for contamination! 

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_44_25_347.jpg

Perhaps there is an old rifle or some ammunition in this old closet.

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_44_56_292.jpg

Defiantly a flashlight or some duct tape, and a pair of old shoes in there, looks like someone left their can of beans on the way to work.

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_42_59_172.jpg

Oh look more canned foods, perhaps some pots and pans as well

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_44_31_945.jpg

My grandpa used to keep his revolver in the side table by his bed just like this one.

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_41_31_707.jpg

I bet there is some books, or even a map, or perhaps some other strange treasures in here.

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_44_3_999.jpg

Here's where I'll find that pen i was looking for, some battery's perhaps, I wonder what else is in here.

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_41_25_296.jpg

Time for some new clothes, or maybe even a backpack.

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_41_38_474.jpg

Rotten Kiwi I see you, oh look some old rags.

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_41_5_801.jpg

I found tools in the tool shed!

dayz_28_2014_1_26_1_43_44_178.jpg

One of my biggest frustrations with dayz at the moment is loot placement.

I walk into a house and I see a fridge, a sidetable, a desk, a stove, a fireplace, a closet, a bed, a kitchen counter, sinks, bathtubs, shelves, the list goes on and on, yet I am completely ignoring them!

Some of you may remember this type of script being used while accessing the vehicles or tent "gear" menu in Dayz Mod.

I have just reimagined the same process being used for containers to store and spawn loot in various places around the world.

dayz.jpg

What do you think?

Here is an easy link back to the reddit post, leave your comments! http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1wlbup/dayz_loot_converted_to_container_scavenging_with/

Edited by dashx73
  • Like 18

My only issue is at this point other than a soda there is really nothing lootable you would find in a fridge maybe fruit for some households.  Cabinets etc I can see a benefit, dumpsters yea would be neat but I would be looting garabage. 

My only issue is at this point other than a soda there is really nothing lootable you would find in a fridge maybe fruit for some households.  Cabinets etc I can see a benefit, dumpsters yea would be neat but I would be looting garabage. 

Okay Well I will break it down for you, also I am charging by the letter to type this so add me to the payroll..

Take a list of all the items in the game, and then walk yourself into any building and think "would i find any of these items in real life in any of these things, and think hard about it, its pretty much common sense.. but here is a little list to help get you started

Fridge

- Lightbulb

- Food (Assorted) 

- Fruits Assorted

- Item Containers (assorted)

- Drinks (assorted)

- Meat (uncooked) (assorted)

Stove ( with top burners)

- Portable Gas Stove 

-  Frying Pan

- Cooking Pot

- Rotten Meats (assorted)

- Cooked Meats (assorted)

- Charcoal ( can be crafted into tablets) 

Side Table ( Kitchen)

-  Canned Foods (assorted)

- Rice 

- Powdered Milk

- Fruit

- Can Opener

- Cooking Pot

- Cooking Clock

- Frying Pan

- Kitchen Knife

Side Table (bedrooms)

- Watch

- Flashlight

- Books

- First Aid

- Water

- Pen

- Sidearms & bullets for sidearms

Closet ( bedroom)

- Clothing ( shirts , pants)

- Rifles

- Protector Case

- Backpacks

- Wooden Plank

- Jackets

Garbage Can (Bin)

Garbage Can (dumpster)

Closet ( living room)

- Jackets

- Navigation

- Duct Tape

- Hammer

Pen

Rope

Furnace

- Gas 

- Matches

I could seriously sit here and put every loot item into each category, but i'm not getting paid to do this.. and it would be work.

There are already thousands of items that Should be loot-able

even starting with the First Aid Kits that appear on walls, from the garbage cans outside, to the fridge, closest, furnace , toolbox, side tables, kitchen cupboards, and so on and so forth. 

Edited by dashx73
  • Like 1

No more randomly placed loot, it would all find a container home.

Edited by dashx73
  • Like 1

Agree. Some weapons are only to find at Military spawns. This of course make sense and so would do also when you might find some drink in the fridge and trousers beside the bed and so on.

Edited by Tabinator
  • Like 1

Agree. Some weapons Arena only to find at Military spawns. This of course make sense and so would do also when you might find some drink in the fridge and trousers beside the bed and so on.

Some people keep rifles in their closests in their bedrooms, or even pistols in a side table in the bedroom, so it would be a good idea to have a rare random chance of finding them in such containers. 

Okay Well I will break it down for you, also I am charging by the letter to type this so add me to the payroll..

Take a list of all the items in the game, and then walk yourself into any building and think "would i find any of these items in real life in any of these things, and think hard about it, its pretty much common sense.. but here is a little list to help get you started

Fridge

- Lightbulb

- Food (Assorted) 

- Fruits Assorted

- Item Containers (assorted)

- Drinks (assorted)

- Meat (uncooked) (assorted)

Stove ( with top burners)

- Portable Gas Stove 

-  Frying Pan

- Cooking Pot

- Rotten Meats (assorted)

- Cooked Meats (assorted)

- Charcoal ( can be crafted into tablets) 

Side Table ( Kitchen)

-  Canned Foods (assorted)

- Rice 

- Powdered Milk

- Fruit

- Can Opener

- Cooking Pot

- Cooking Clock

- Frying Pan

- Kitchen Knife

Side Table (bedrooms)

- Watch

- Flashlight

- Books

- First Aid

- Water

- Pen

- Sidearms & bullets for sidearms

Closet ( bedroom)

- Clothing ( shirts , pants)

- Rifles

- Protector Case

- Backpacks

- Wooden Plank

- Jackets

Garbage Can (Bin)

Garbage Can (dumpster)

Closet ( living room)

- Jackets

- Navigation

- Duct Tape

- Hammer

Pen

Rope

Furnace

- Gas 

- Matches

I could seriously sit here and put every loot item into each category, but i'm not getting paid to do this.. and it would be work.

There are already thousands of items that Should be loot-able

even starting with the First Aid Kits that appear on walls, from the garbage cans outside, to the fridge, closest, furnace , toolbox, side tables, kitchen cupboards, and so on and so forth. 

GET RID OF THE LOOT BEING RANDOMLY PLACED ON THE GROUND, AND JUST MAKE OBJECTS THAT CAN BE LOOTED! AND NO I DON"T JUST MEAN THE FRIDGE THAT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE!

Ah, I see what your aiming for now.  Not a bad idea but I do not think it would save on server cache because all the objects would still be in the database.

• Like 2

What if the loot only spawned into the server when a player walked up to the "container" and "looted them"

Edited by dashx73

Fridge is already confirmed to be included in "near" future update. Dean said the function will be similar to car's trunk. Confirmed by Dean Hall during his visit on Sacriels stream.

• Like 2

So you basically want Fallout 3 ...

... and Yes, for DayZ to be immersive it would have to be somewhat like Fallout 3 & NV, it's just logic, just Bethesda got there first, but crapped out on multiplayer ability

• Like 1

Please no, it would take 10 times longer to loot a house.

Yeah, as mentioned, Dean is already planning on making the fridges lootable. They have to work on a script for it first.

it is a good idea, but we should still have objects lying around. I think it would also cut down on server clutter and allow more loot and zombies for less.

I'd like to add that the radios you find in houses should sometimes contain batteries. You could also use them to tune into radio frequencies, allowing you to stop in a house and check the airwaves for chatter (listen only). Also, the radio towers themselves could have broadcast equipment and a petrol generator to get it started. Imagine if you could fill a generator with petrol, fire up the broadcast tower and leave a recording on repeat for other survivors to hear.

• Like 2

Yeah, as mentioned, Dean is already planning on making the fridges lootable. They have to work on a script for it first.

it is a good idea, but we should still have objects lying around. I think it would also cut down on server clutter and allow more loot and zombies for less.

I'd like to add that the radios you find in houses should sometimes contain batteries. You could also use them to tune into radio frequencies, allowing you to stop in a house and check the airwaves for chatter (listen only). Also, the radio towers themselves could have broadcast equipment and a petrol generator to get it started. Imagine if you could fill a generator with petrol, fire up the broadcast tower and leave a recording on repeat for other survivors to hear.

Good idea with those radio towers.

Please no, it would take 10 times longer to loot a house.

It would take less time because you could only hit the containers that held the type of loot you are looking for.

Edited by dashx73

Fridge is already confirmed to be included in "near" future update. Dean said the function will be similar to car's trunk. Confirmed by Dean Hall during his visit on Sacriels stream.

Personally I felt the car trunk to be a horribly executed way for searching for loot, I miss the old method of simply opening the gear to the vehicle. Half the time I see something in the car and I can't even pick it up

Edited by dashx73

GET RID OF THE LOOT BEING RANDOMLY PLACED ON THE GROUND, AND JUST MAKE OBJECTS THAT CAN BE LOOTED! AND NO I DON"T JUST MEAN THE FRIDGE THAT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE!

Yo homie go searching around for everything Rocket has said about the game in later development. Interacting with the environment, like you said, and more I'm sure is already planned.

I mean, honestly, people who think they know that this is an Alpha... oftentimes just think that means it's buggy...

Right now it's DayZ mod where you can go into more houses...

Yo homie go searching around for everything Rocket has said about the game in later development. Interacting with the environment, like you said, and more I'm sure is already planned.

I mean, honestly, people who think they know that this is an Alpha... oftentimes just think that means it's buggy...

Right now it's DayZ mod where you can go into more houses...

Remember the dayz mod where we had tents.. what happened to tents?

Edited by dashx73

wow .. i prescribe Zoloft & Paxil at maximum doses . you will thank me in a month ... or be a happy vegetable ! either way im happy to help .

$79.99 consultation fee on your way out .

If you do not have any positive on topic or constructive criticism to add to the forum or posting, please take it elsewhere.