mangozapp

Meeting the Hacker within - Delete this post, sorry.

I have moved this post to DayZ Suggestions. 

(I didn't notice I was posting under DayZ Mod suggestions.  :blush:)

Edited by Harmonica
  • Like 1

This borders another idea of safe areas and I think as long as this commune place is on an island or several off the map then it might work. Problem is people will camp these areas very hard because people are dicks and like killing unarmed bambis.

safezones are a ridiculous idea in any form for sure .... between the forum and steam finding a group of people to roll with is easier than ever, just a matter of finding a group you fit in with.

• Like 1

This borders another idea of safe areas and I think as long as this commune place is on an island or several off the map then it might work. Problem is people will camp these areas very hard because people are dicks and like killing unarmed bambis.

Yep. The camping issue is a big one. In DayZ Epoch the trading cities were developed to combat this problem. They needed some fine tuning but I played for long periods on some servers where they were pretty trouble free... Camping was not an issue in fact, it was back-pack stealing that caused problems. That's not an issue anymore.

One of the major new challenges in this area is the lack of global chat. Without this there's no way to report a hacker or griefer to admins. In 'wider' chernarus I so though see the lack of global chat as a good thing as it used to break the immersion.

I wonder about putting a kind of limited global chat into something like this commune. Also, because not everyone is cool, a means to tag any players camping the site. Such campers would lose their anonymity and be tagged for server admins to deal with as they saw fit. Another simple solution might be to make players in the locality of the commune easily visible to other players so that they can then avoid or report abuse. Yes, all compromises for the purists but 'nothing comes of nothing.'

safezones are a ridiculous idea in any form for sure .... between the forum and steam finding a group of people to roll with is easier than ever, just a matter of finding a group you fit in with.

Fair enough and thanks for the tip... I've been playing DayZ since the mod came out and I've never thought of using the forums or Steam to find other players to roll with. Using forums in that way just ain't in my sphere. This pointer would be a good thing for you to impart to a new player.

How do you stand on actively bringing new players into the community - in-game? (Because the fact is they're buying a game, not a forum membership.)

Edited by Harmonica