boggy

Silenced weapon ammo

I don't understand why silenced weapons take specific rounds. Is that a realistic thing? I do not know too much about guns but it doesn't seem logical to me that silenced weapon would require special ammo, since the silencer is often just an aftermarket addon...

If it's an attempt to stop them being overpowered, just make them slightly rarer - they're very rare as it is - but allow them to use regular rounds.

Not sure what the point of the different ammo types is for the silenced versions of guns, but if they have to be that way for whatever reason, then they should be able to be right clicked and then converted.

subsonic (SD) rounds are must be fired to prevent the crack of the travelling bullet

in addition, some supressors will not silence the report at the barrel when supersonic ammunition is fired

in DayZ the M9SD, AR15 (M16 and M4) SD and, when they turn up, the AKS-UB are all compatible with subsonic rounds, and all require such in order to be 'silenced'

it should be mentioned that the MP5 SD cannot fire subsonic rounds and that this needs addressing

as for transmogrifying normal rounds into SD rounds, just, just no

Well, I asked myself the same question a long time ago.

SD weapons actually can be used with normal ammunition (not in ArmA :/). It will lower a bit the sound of the combustion but It won't do an effective job.

SD bullets have less amount of gunpowder. So the combustion itself makes less sound and the bullets move slower (under the velocity of sound). So both, the weapon and the bullets are much more quiet.

That's why it's supposed to be different ammo.

Makes perfect sense, I had overlooked the supersonic crack... Wait, so do the 'SD' weapons in the game still have the capability to fire regular rounds at regular noise levels?

If so, then I think it should just be very slightly dampened because the suppressor must help even though it cannot prevent the crack..

Ah I see your post now Dorian. What a shame...

Yes, the ammo for suppressed weapons should have subsonic starting velocity for effective silencing, because sonic boom can't be suppressed. That's the reason why all silenced weapons are ineffective at distance.

For 9x18PM, it's totally unrealistic, since both Makarov and Makarov SD rounds are subsonic according to game files (as they are in real life, unlike PBM and PMM 9x18 ammo). There's no "9x18 PM SD" modification IRL.

For 9x19 Parabellum and other ammo it's real, they do need a subsonic version for using in a silenced weapon.

thanks, now I know why my new clip doesn't work in my awesome suppressed pistol wot done lost its last 11 rounds for some reason...