Doughboy72

New Maps ready to be Zombified

Before I begin, lemme say that I have no game developing skills whatsoever.

I like Chenarus. It's a fun map. But it's getting old. Same old routine-- Spawn on the beach, run to nearest barn, grab a shotgun, run to Balota or Berezino and get some military gear, then head north. Stop by a lake to refill my canteen, meet up with survivors, shoot a bandit or get shot by a bandit and start over. That's my jam. But it's wearing thin. Not the gameplay, but the same old map that we've been doing it on.

How difficult would it be to have more maps? Is it feasible? There are a ton of great community made maps that offer varying terrain and environments (like rivers, which all seem to have dried up ages ago). New cities to raid, new airfields to excursion to-- at the end of the day, it's the same great game, just a different area.

Of course, there is the issue of characters-- off the top of my head, I'd say just have a profile for each map (so you can't carry gear over from map to map). It'd be like controlling a totally different survivor (or bandit!) in another part of the world that was also hit by the infection.

Like I said, I'm no tech guru. I have no idea how the Day Z team would accomplish this (if they ever wanted to).

Here are some maps I've played on in ArmA II and others I've just now found:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12883

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7467

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13631

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11300

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10839

What are your thoughts? Good idea, bad idea, tech issues, maps you've played you would want to see in Day Z, etc?

Rocket has stated that it would take around an hour to convert an existing Arma 2 map over to the DayZ mod. I would not expect that anytime soon though.

You have to ask though, what would happen to all of the people with old characters once we switch? Would they just spawn on the beach like the new players and have to make their way back inland? And what about servers with chernarus and the others with other maps? What happens when you switch between them?

I would assume the server would allow one character per player per map.

But even though Rocket has said he COULD easily add new maps, he has not ever said he intends to. So until then, I would not lose any sleep over it.

You have to ask though' date=' what would happen to all of the people with old characters once we switch? Would they just spawn on the beach like the new players and have to make their way back inland? And what about servers with chernarus and the others with other maps? What happens when you switch between them?

[/quote']

Like I said, off the top of my head, your characters would be separate individuals that can't 'island hop' or transfer gear between themselves.

I like the idea above of just tying maps into each other. One very large map with more player slots. Each new character has a chance on spawning on ANY of the islands. This would make catching up with buddies pretty interesting (or a pain in the butt), or even repairing helis for island hopping.

Does arma limit the size of how big maps can be scaled out?

If someone worked with the original chernarus map and doubled its size by adding onto it (matched up the coastline forests mountains roads etc.) you could just expand it that way and if it really only does take an hour to convert a map over it could be implemented pretty easily in a new patch.

not to mention it would be a great show of community support if this was done.

Just as a reference, I read earlier today that it took BIS a year to create the Chernaurus map (it's claimed that every single tree was placed by hand). Not saying it "couldnt" be doubled, but the scope of what you are asking is enormous...using maps which already exist would be a MUCH simpler option.

Yes. Firstly, people need to stop fucking treating this game like a paid-for post-release product. This is an ALPHA game. It's not about supporting you because you're "bored." It's about getting a clean game developed that works, is mostly bug-free, and the community is in agreement that it's ready for release. That is what testing is for.

Secondly, the more "maps" there are, the more "spread out" people get, the more distant you get from the master database, the more lonely the game will get. Right now, you can interact with people in this persistent world every server you go to. If there were different maps that you had all your characters spread out over, or they doubled the map size without doubling the amount of players on it, it would simply become more tedious and less fun.

With DayZ being in its infancy it can't happen soon, but I'm sure once our bands of survivors have established ourselves, bandits permitting, we'll expand and explore the continent further. I'm guessing the map can be expanded depending on which direction the game takes later on.

I'd love to explore bigger cities, maybe something like Atlanta in Walking dead, but atm I'm just happen to play a game that I've been waiting for, for donkeys years.

Right now, I bet rocket is working on the overall structure of the game. Adding new maps is like adding a new bathroom to a house that hasn't even got the plumbing working yet. Though it would be nice to see other areas opening up. Some people have mastered the map to the point seeing a landmark and the sun would give the direction they need for the airfield. Heck there are stream hunters that hunt people who are streaming live.

Right now, we have to wait but if there is a group of modders that would like to assist in the creation of a larger more explorable city, i don't think anyone would complain. But considering this may be ported over to arma 3 things would be weird. If an entire city was created and unable to be ported to it.

^ People have converted the original OFP map, Everon, to ArmA II. The same with Sarahni from ArmA. I don't think it is difficult to port maps over and re-texture everything.

Also, people need to un-knot their panties about "Hurrdurr Day Z isn't ready yet." No duh. It won't be ready for a LONG time. No one expects a new map soon, or even at all, and if you do you need a reality check. This is supposed to be a discussion thread about how you would like to see something like this implemented. It's entirely hypothetical.

Yes. Firstly' date=' people need to stop fucking treating this game like a paid-for post-release product. This is an ALPHA game. It's not about supporting you because you're "bored." It's about getting a clean game developed that works, is mostly bug-free, and the community is in agreement that it's ready for release. That is what testing is for.

Secondly, the more "maps" there are, the more "spread out" people get, the more distant you get from the master database, the more lonely the game will get. Right now, you can interact with people in this persistent world every server you go to. If there were different maps that you had all your characters spread out over, or they doubled the map size without doubling the amount of players on it, it would simply become more tedious and less fun.

[/quote']

You need to unknot your shorts there Sharkey. Rocket is talking about new maps and expanding the DayZ world in interviews as we speak (see quote below). It is being planned and it is being worked on. So you might wanna take a step back and take a breath. I think everything will be OK if we continue to discuss this aspect of the game.

PC Gamer:: That seems like a natural fit for Day Z; if there's a radio transmission station at the top of Green Mountain, that becomes a really valuable point, a clan wants to own that spot, they can talk to another point...

ROCKET:: And imagine if we start making maps bigger and connecting more worlds together to an extent, and then radios become important. You get a whole meta-game going on.

Yes. Firstly' date=' people need to stop fucking treating this game like a paid-for post-release product. This is an ALPHA game. It's not about supporting you because you're "bored." It's about getting a clean game developed that works, is mostly bug-free, and the community is in agreement that it's ready for release. That is what testing is for.

[/quote']

It seems YOU have no idea what Alpha means. Alpha stage is about adding and removing features and make them work. Beta stage is for clearing all the bugs. Ofcourse Rocket is fixing bugs in the Alpha stage because this mod is open to the public. That does not mean new maps cant be added.

The more maps there are, the more spread? You have any idea how popular this mod is? If Rocket would add another map it will just get filled like any other server. Just make it so that you can only play on a server with the map your char is in.(Or have a char for every map?)The community is already big enough to support 2 maps. What indeed could be a problem is the database.

I think that they should add 3 other regions. These regions would only he accessable through flying or by driving a boat. Maybe a desert region, a more exotic island-region, a jungle region and something else. This would surely not fit in with the existing region as it is in Russia and it would make zero sense. But more various regions would be awesome.

Map change?, dude hasn't been that long to have a map change. WTF. It would kill players that have sweated out hours to get there guy where they are now. I think everyone can survive with this until Arma III comes out. OMG.. Its still in beta 2, loot locations and shit can still change. We're just going to sit back and enjoy the updates I recon.

Just for the record, I don't think we need bigger maps (suggestions about extending the current one).

Many areas are too barren and devoid of life as is given the average ~40-50 players on a server.

A different map could be nice, though I guess there'll be some work involved with binding characters to maps so that you have a separate character for each map.

I'd rather just see the map expanded to islands and then out towards steeper hills and even mountains. Rivers would be nice too.

Yeah, without a doubt I think that would make things waaaaay more interesting, especially having the rivers uncrossable in a couple of places. Just to make having to cross that shallow part or using that bridge that much more intense.